• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

U.S. Politics 2017 (split fm US Election: 2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bird_Gunner45 said:
I guess I juse hold the supposed leader of the free world to a higher standard than you do. I expect an adult and don't accept someone who does and says stuff I would expect from a 2lt.

Maybe that's why he's trying to make the whole staff generals.

Millions of legal US voters don't agree with you.

Mind, there's millions that don't agree with me either.

Now, that doesn't make either of us wrong, but it doesn't mean we're right either. And there's SFA we can do about it.

>I expect an adult and don't accept someone who does and says stuff I would expect from a 2lt.

Trump is unique and has pushed the envelope of "unpresidential".  But most people are not deeply engaged politically, and don't make distinctions between an utterance like "grab her by the..." and perjury about sex with an intern in the WH.  Bad behaviour is not a factor with much weight in their estimates of situations.

Adult behaviour includes keeping commitments, or not making them in the first place.

Democrats paid a heavy price for "you can keep your doctor".  Some Republicans will pay a price for campaigning tirelessly against the ACA right up until the point at which they could actually cast a meaningful vote to change it.  Federal Liberals will pay a price for failing to move on election reform.

Politically engaged people are free to argue that there are degrees of separation between people like Trump (or Rob Ford) and people like the Clintons, and that those degrees should matter.  But non-politically engaged people are free to keep casting about for someone who either mostly does what they say they will, or at least offers a prospect of changing business-as-usual in the seats of government.

The US and many many other countries needed a change of leadership and the Clinton empire put on hold.

Trump obviously has some issues but I think he'll sell the lives of US soldiers (and civilians the world over) more expensively than Clinton would have. 

This reportedly shared internally by SecDef Mattis - scan of letter also attached ...
MEMORANDUM FOR ALL DEPARTMENT EMPLOYEES

August 4, 2017

Re: Ethical Standards for All Hands

Those entrusted by our nation with carrying out violence, those entrustedwith the lives of our troops, and those entrusted with enormous sums of taxpayer money must set an honorable example in all we do.

I expect every member of the Department to play the ethical midfield. I need you to be aggressive and show initiative without running the ethical sidelines, where even one missstep will have you out of bounds.  I want our focus to be on the essence of ethical conduct: doing what is right at all times, regardless of the circumstances or whether anyone is watching.

To ensure each of us is ready to do what is right, without hesitation, when ethical dilemmas arise, we must train and prepare ourselves and our subordinates. Our prior reflection and our choice to live by an ethical code will reinforce what we stand for, so we remain morally strong especially in the face of adversity.

Through our example and through coaching of all hands, we will ensure ethical standards are maintained. Never forget our willingness to take the oath of office and to accept the associated responsibilities means that even citizens who have never met us trust us to do the right thing, never abusing our position you’re looking the other way when we see something wrong.

I am proud to serve alongside you.

James Mattis
:salute:

Attachments

• roughlyexplained-img-0738.jpg
    roughlyexplained-img-0738.jpg
    288.5 KB · Views: 234
Rifleman62 said:
Another video on Sat ni Global National News of the PM kayaking, just happening to bump into a new bride & groom and stopping for a selfie.

Reflexive eye-roll.

Yeah, stopping for a photo at a wedding.... what a self important fool!

http://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2017/08/06/trump-not-vacation-golf-orig-vstan-dlewis.cnn

#goodforonegoodforother

115179969.jpg

Brad Sallows said:
>I expect an adult and don't accept someone who does and says stuff I would expect from a 2lt.

Trump is unique and has pushed the envelope of "unpresidential".  But most people are not deeply engaged politically, and don't make distinctions between an utterance like "grab her by the..." and perjury about sex with an intern in the WH.  Bad behaviour is not a factor with much weight in their estimates of situations.

Adult behaviour includes keeping commitments, or not making them in the first place.

Democrats paid a heavy price for "you can keep your doctor".  Some Republicans will pay a price for campaigning tirelessly against the ACA right up until the point at which they could actually cast a meaningful vote to change it.  Federal Liberals will pay a price for failing to move on election reform.

Politically engaged people are free to argue that there are degrees of separation between people like Trump (or Rob Ford) and people like the Clintons, and that those degrees should matter.  But non-politically engaged people are free to keep casting about for someone who either mostly does what they say they will, or at least offers a prospect of changing business-as-usual in the seats of government.

For as long as presidents have been presidents, kings have been kings, etc people have remained imperfect. Johnson used to take his d**k out and show people it in the oval office (and urinate in the parking lot, and talk about his penis to almost everyone), Kennedy cheated relentlessly, Richard Nixon had Watergate, Andrew Jackson comitted mass genocide (he was actually a terrible person), etc.

As for the differences in tobe, Trumps rapidly declining popularity will likely crwate difficulty using the bully pulpit,  which is the only real tool a president has to shape legislature. His lack of popularity and propensity to hop onto twitter and sound like a ranting fool will hinder him and may make him fail in his goal to drain the swamp, whatever that means.

Further, Clinton failed on the domestic scene in the Lewinsky affair. However, his ability to maintain composure and "stature" through it allowed him to still function internationally, where the president operates in his or her main role. By looking like a ranting, angry, and irrational person, Trump lampoon ed himself internationally and dud so on twitter for all to see. That's the main difference - while all have erred none have erred their dirty laundry for all to see like Trump. So no, "grab her by the p***y" and Clinton aren't the same in any manner. Clinton failed in private and lied in a session of Parliament.  Trump continually errs publicly and loudly.

So, you think this sort of talk is presidential or that he's being sincere?

http://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/world/trump-north-korea-will-be-met-with-fire-and-fury-1.3536825

>So no, "grab her by the p***y" and Clinton aren't the same in any manner.

To you, they're not the same.  I was receiving the first salvo of CF SHARP training (or maybe it was some other mandated CYA course), during which facilitators solemnly asserted that relationships between superiors and subordinates were an abuse of power regardless of consent, roughly around the time Clinton's habits caused so much fuss.  I'll stick with "idle braggadocio << actual sexual predation".

Lots of blame, lots of end of the world as we know it. Lot's of "we'll never survive this".

We went through all of this already with Kennedy, Castro and Krueschev, although there are not likely too many here that remember that. Including hiding under desks.

It is what it is and all the hand wringing in the world won't change that.

Note:  Now that we have a separate thread just for all things Charlottesville:
http://army.ca/forums/threads/126345.0.html
... let's keep this thread devoted just to general U.S. political discussion outside of the C'ville events.

Thanks!

Milnet.ca Staff

The DNC "Brain Trust" weighs in on Bannon.

DNC National Press Secretary Michael Tyler said in a statement: “There is one less white supremacist in the White House, but that doesn’t change the man sitting behind the Resolute desk. Donald Trump has spent decades fueling hate in communities, including his recent attempts to divide our country and give a voice to white supremacists.”

The remainder are various and sundry "celebrities" and such.

http://people.com/politics/steve-bannon-out-white-house-twitter-reactions-rosie-odonnell/

Lumber said:
Jesus, who's left? Wasn't Bannon inner-inner circle?

It's probably a fact based decision based on rational and reasoned analysis, of which Trump is known for. Unfortunately, Trump is unlikely to fire the real problem in the white house.....

Bird_Gunner45 said:
It's probably a fact based decision based on rational and reasoned analysis, of which Trump is known for. Unfortunately, Trump is unlikely to fire the real problem in the white house.....

You mean the White House executive chef? We all know you do much better with a good meal on board.

Bird_Gunner45 said:

I'm not sure if you're being serious or not...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back