• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

U.S. gun crime, health insurance woes scare off Canadian diplomats

Funny though, US crime rates were steadily dropping while they had a large prison population, must be a coincidence....
Contrary to what some people believe, the federal system has a lot of violent and repeat offenders. They aren't that many there for third strike on a joint.

I am sure there'll be inevitable opinions about whining Canadian foreign service officers.

But I wondered if there were any similar concerns voiced by military pers posted to the US, especially CDLS(W). This, from the article, particularly caught my attention.

The on-going clusterf*** that is Canada Life and PSHCP is bad enough at home, but likely is exacerbated when US billing is involved.

Honestly this looks to me like typical Canadian anti-Americanism and pearl clutching from my point of view, which is what I would expect from a Liberal/Leftist dominated public service.

I'd happily move south, more opportunity. I just have to convince the wife.

Side note, we are seasonal at a local campground. One of the folks we hang around with a lot bought a mobile home in Florida and winters down there. He loves it, and is seriously considering selling what he has left in Nova Scotia and moving to Florida for good. I cant balm him.

Private Prisons, like Hospitals exist FOR PROFIT, need a lot of inmates to bill the state for…
I’ve heard the term “Prison Industrial Complex” before.

The idea that prisons can be used for profit is…well…

I Want More GIF

Honestly this looks to me like typical Canadian anti-Americanism and pearl clutching from my point of view, which is what I would expect from a Liberal/Leftist dominated public service.

I'd happily move south, more opportunity. I just have to convince the wife.

Side note, we are seasonal at a local campground. One of the folks we hang around with a lot bought a mobile home in Florida and winters down there. He loves it, and is seriously considering selling what he has left in Nova Scotia and moving to Florida for good. I cant balm him.
Having been posted to the US, it is great if you have a good medical insurance plan and job/pension to cover it. And if you’re in a job, that you can stand it enough to justify the health coverage it provides. One line that has always stuck with me is that in the US, “you have the freedom to fail, hard”.

Retiring there, politics aside, would be fine on a CAF pension. I wouldn’t want to be a working person there unless I’m in Medicine or Tech, and even in Medicine, the amount of malpractice insurance coverage you would need is pretty staggering. It would be interesting to see how much net income doctors make when they take into account the insurance(s) needed.

I would also suggest that the Snowbird lifestyle isn’t the same as being permanently in the US either.

Retiring there, politics aside, would be fine on a CAF pension.

I've been retired for 15 years.

My wife is a U.S. citizen. Votes in their elections, and likes to visit. But, never heard her express a desire to move there permanently.

I have an EU passport. My mother collected the required documents. But, I have no desire to move there.

As far as Canada vs U.S. crime statistics go, they are easily searchable.

And, as you say, "have a good medical insurance plan".

Lived in TX and AZ as a Snowbird for a ten years. Always purchased top up health insurance. Never had a problem. You pay upfront and submit a claim.
If I got seriously ill, I would rather be in the US as their medical treatment facilities are top notch.
One time went to a walk in. Doctor suggested a MRI, and made the appointment. Then we drove 30 minutes to a clinic. Walk in Doctor phoned me on the drive home from the clinic said everything OK and I could pick up the MRI DVD the next day. I believe the walk in was USD $150 and the MRI $300.

I would expect the Foreign Service people make a reasonable salary and have the cash flow to support a health claim. Everyone gets who works for the government get 40 days travel insurance.

Agree, plus are they getting near the end of the employment contract? Seems like the majority of Strikes in Canada are always Public Service employees at all government levels.

One time went to a walk in. Doctor suggested a MRI, and made the appointment. Then we drove 30 minutes to a clinic. Walk in Doctor phoned me on the drive home from the clinic said everything OK and I could pick up the MRI DVD the next day. I believe the walk in was USD $150 and the MRI $300.

We have MAID.

Attachments

• maid.jpg
    maid.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 31
I would also suggest that the Snowbird lifestyle isn’t the same as being permanently in the US either.

FYI he's a "retired" bouncer.

He may fit the heading of a snowbird but he's not some established pensioner. He's just very good at living within his means.

One line that has always stuck with me is that in the US, “you have the freedom to fail, hard”.

That's true freedom isn't it ?

I am sure there'll be inevitable opinions about whining Canadian foreign service officers.

But I wondered if there were any similar concerns voiced by military pers posted to the US, especially CDLS(W). This, from the article, particularly caught my attention.

The on-going clusterf*** that is Canada Life and PSHCP is bad enough at home, but likely is exacerbated when US billing is involved.
My understanding is that the military pers can get an advance to cover the medical bills while they sort out the claim with the insurance. Once done any over advancement can be recovered from their pay.

My understanding is that the military pers can get an advance to cover the medical bills while they sort out the claim with the insurance. Once done any over advancement can be recovered from their pay.

From the CDLS(W) Welcome Book
https://cdlsw-elfcw.ca/wp-content/uploads/Welcome_Book_2023.pdf (page 84 of pdf)
CAF Health Services Group HQ Detachment Washington is a lodger unit within CDLS(W) and providesmedical oversight to all U.S. OUTCAN personnel (both CDLS(W) and NORAD personnel). The Det is comprised of the following: the Canadian Forces Health Services Attaché (CFHSA - a CAF doctor), the Canadian Forces Medical Liaison Officer (CFMLO - a CAF doctor), the Staff Officer Health Administration (SO Health Admin - a Health Care Administrator) and the Health Services Coordinator (HS Coordinator- a Medical Technician). This team of four provides guidance to 700+ CAF personnel and their families regarding all aspects of health care and the administration of entitled benefits while in the USA.

what is her hesitancy?

Typical NS Girl. Doesn't want to leave. Cant really give you a reason with the exception of "Cant be far from the ocean" She's never spent a day on it, but somehow has some attachment to it. Its grey, cold, tastes like shit and mean. I don't understand the draw.

Love her to pieces but her sense of adventure and mine are not the same lol

Typical NS Girl. Doesn't want to leave. Cant really give you a reason with the exception of "Cant be far from the ocean" She's never spent a day on it, but somehow has some attachment to it. Its grey, cold, tastes like shit and mean. I don't understand the draw.
Very typical for that area lol.

Love her to pieces but her sense of adventure and mine are not the same lol
I mean, the Atlantic isn’t just in NS…

I Should Go Reaction GIF by Bounce

Back