• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Updated Army Service Dress project

Yes, ordered one of those on points as well. Ended up costing me just shy of $150 for a replacement new hat on a cash buy as I can't get one on points until 2024. On the plus side, can get another fur cap now!
I had to go through the same silliness... That said, the hat is very comfortable, and looks better than the lesser services' hats, so it's worth the cost of admission. ;)

That's the beauty of Kingston: you can go from seeing obsolete technology on display at the C&E Museum to learning how to use obsolete technology at the C&E school.
Ha Ha Smile GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Never cared for ball caps in uniform. I found they were a pain in comparison to a beret because it is much more difficult to store a ball cap when not in use than a beret. Usually would clip it to the button on the naval jacket pocket or loosely on the handle of the crescent wrench in my pocket.

Peak caps were a whole other level of issue for storage.

That bad boy rocks for post-service snow blowing!

#jealousneighbours
Why limit it to post-service? :sneaky:

Never cared for ball caps in uniform. I found they were a pain in comparison to a beret because it is much more difficult to store a ball cap when not in use than a beret. Usually would clip it to the button on the naval jacket pocket or loosely on the handle of the crescent wrench in my pocket.

The new style NCDs have leg pockets now.

They're zippered and they lie flat to the pant so I don't know how big they are, but they can probably fit a cap.

How about a side cap?

Someone decided it was the appropriate order of dress for the guard at thew Tomb of the Unknown Soldier which suggests, to me, that our current DEUs - shirt and tie, "business suit," and the 175 year old scarlet ceremonial uniforms - battle dress at Balaclava and Rourke's Drift - that some regiments still wear are redundant. The sooner everyone wears cargo pants, golf-shirts, hoodies and balls tops the better. Neckties (and ascots) are an abomination.

I can’t be the only one here who thinks that this look is absolutely dreadful for a ceremonial uniform at an important national monument.

I can’t be the only one here who thinks that this look is absolutely dreadful for a ceremonial uniform at an important national monument.
Good Idea: The Canadian Rangers were included into the rotation at the NWM in 2022 to celebrate their 75th Anniversary. Represented majority of CRPGs and indigenous communities across Canada.

Bad Idea: from my understanding, the Canadian Rangers have very little experience with Dress and Ceremonial tasks. The drill performed by the sentries was decent, but not to the same calibre as the other members of CG. The Canadian Rangers also do not have anything close to a ceremonial uniform and haven't since their inception. Public duties are not their bread and butter.

Conclusion : great idea, poor execution.

Good Idea: The Canadian Rangers were included into the rotation at the NWM in 2022 to celebrate their 75th Anniversary. Represented majority of CRPGs and indigenous communities across Canada.

Bad Idea: from my understanding, the Canadian Rangers have very little experience with Dress and Ceremonial tasks. The drill performed by the sentries was decent, but not to the same calibre as the other members of CG. The Canadian Rangers also do not have anything close to a ceremonial uniform and haven't since their inception. Public duties are not their bread and butter.

Conclusion : great idea, poor execution.

A few Rangers were actually sent home on my roto because of drill.

Just not being up to standard, because they had a grand total of one week, if that, to learn everything plus the Tomb-specific drills.
They don't go through BMQ and all that, right? If so, I wouldn't blame them too much for not meeting the standard of the NWM sentries if all they literally had was a week to learn how to march, as well as the Tomb-specific drills.

Also, as @rmc_wannabe said, Public Duties is not their thing and they don't have a ceremonial uniform. I wonder what the comments (both from the public and on here) would be if the CRs created a Sentry-specific ceremonial uniform.

But I digress.

Back