• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

NEIP...what is your opinion?

Exactly,

on course critiques it is easy to come up with a problem, great you've completed the first step, identify the issue/deficiencey, now its up to you to reccommend solutions, instead of the tour of Duntze head was crap, try "I found the tour of Duntze head, while historical didn't affect me one way or the other, perhaps conduction tours of Blackrock, NRS, JOC, JRCC and split into specific trades would be more worthwhile"  Keeping in mind NEIP is a fleet school initiated program (I may be wrong so FSTO feel free to correct me) there is no reason why the course cannot be massaged on flexible during exam/block leave periods. and of course my personal pet peeve, move PT into daily class routines. This is a DOAD requirement and as such should not encroach into mbr's personal time, while at the school that time should be taken up by kit maintenance, studies, and a wee bit of recreational time. after leaving the school well, thats up to the mbr.
Just my feeling on it

PT on personal time is a Navy thing.  Most courses do allow for PT on course time, and the PT regime they have in the Army makes the navy look like crap..

Example BIS mandatory PT for shift workers 3 times in 3 months.... Yeah that will make people sweat.

I never understood why the Navy is against PT, and YOU can't give me the WHO is going to get the work done speech!  Because that's a shitty excuse.

NEIP is a good idea from where I sit, but I am not the one being treated like a little kid.  I think their time after work is their time, evening lectures, tours, and anything else that takes away from personal time is bad. I just see it as a way to keep people from getting in shit.

"PT on personal time is a Navy thing" I agree that mentality sucks.

Things are improving, as supervisors we have to encourage PT. Instead of eating with afternoon watchmen (which in reality is all of three people) and watching Springer. Go to the Dockyard gym and play a team sport or go use the Gym in the hangar (280 lady like myself).

See you on the  MARLANT mandatory 10k run this Friday.

My section at work is all EXPRES tested and 60 per cent EXEMPT. I am proud of that.

I think the NEIP should be an intensive week and that's it.

Crow

I'm currently on NEIP so here's my .2s. You have to muster in the morning after breakfast, the duty NEIP master seaman takes attendance, and then you're off to whatever(course, pat, etc).  After supper you muster again for cleaning stations at 6pm. Cleaning stations can go from 15 minutes to 45. After cleaning stations you can do one of several things; pt at the gym, lecture, or be dismissed. Tours are once a week, I've  only been on one which was a tour of an MCDV. The pt often falls on the same day as course or pat pt so you're stuck doing pt twice that day which is exhausting. I've only had one lecture so far which was very similar to one that I received at bmq. I don't see the point of an MCDV tour; seeing as how we're reg force. The program takes up much of your night (I don't get back to the shacks till 8 and I go to bed at 10 so I'm left with 2 hours which is very disappointing). I think this program was a great idea but was executed poorly.

May I ask what you are cleaning when it comes to cleaning stations? 

Isn't the block cleaned by cleaners?
If they are getting you to clean the block it sort of sounds like a make work project.  It would be ok if they didn't have civies cleaning the place.

Kind of reminds me of working at NRS where we clean the floor at 0500 and then some civy comes on in and cleans at 1000

THANK YOU TP!!

No one actually does any cleaning ;D, atleast not that I know of. Just go to your room and stay out of sight.

LOL, we used to do cleaning stations at Black Rock.

Decks, heads and classrooms and they had a full timer cleaner assigned to the building.

What a joke!

Agree!

Keep an eye open downstairs over the pool in the next couple of weeks, the CWO just got all the old kit Chilliwack was getting rid of (2 universals and a whack of dumbbells) as soon as the Old Man figures out where to put it, then the watches can work out, on watch, even on the mids, because really, is it ever that busy (rimpac excluded) that the watch can't spare 1 or 2 bodies at a time for an hour to work out.

FSTO said:
I call BS on that one. As a person who reads every one of the Course Critiques we attempt to change, alter, improve or explain every point brought up. NETP/NEIP course contents are constantly being massaged to improve the quality of training, but we cannot improve if we do not get CONSTRUCTIVE FEEDBACK!

BS Huh ?

Well I can obviously only speak from experience. I have been on two pilot courses for my trade. We had 3 times as many critiques to write. We spent more time analyzing the value of the course than actually getting any value from it. The entire course recommended some sincere suggestions. 3 years later... the course is being run the exact same way and from those I talk to now. They complain about the same thing and offer up simple solutions which are completely ignored. BS... I think not. I wouldn't say something If i didn't know it to be true.

TAS278 said:
BS Huh ?

Well I can obviously only speak from experience. I have been on two pilot courses for my trade. We had 3 times as many critiques to write. We spent more time analyzing the value of the course than actually getting any value from it. The entire course recommended some sincere suggestions. 3 years later... the course is being run the exact same way and from those I talk to now. They complain about the same thing and offer up simple solutions which are completely ignored. BS... I think not. I wouldn't say something If i didn't know it to be true.

I will be staying in my lane here. I make this claim about the course critiques I see at Sea Div. Maybe things are done differently at CFNOS.

HFXCrow said:
LOL, we used to do cleaning stations at Black Rock.

Decks, heads and classrooms and they had a full timer cleaner assigned to the building.

What a joke!

Agree!

I'm currently at Blackrock,and the cleaners are terrible,they dont speak english and their idea of cleaning is emptying garbages and leaving!
We still do most of the cleaning ourselves!LOL

FSTO said:
I will be staying in my lane here. I make this claim about the course critiques I see at Sea Div. Maybe things are done differently at CFNOS.

Soory for sounding snarky, It is still a sour spot for me I guess. I would love to now that critiques work across the board. I know for some schools, when people who are in charge care, the take them seriously and try to action them, the best they can.

Kodiack99 said:
I'm currently at Blackrock,and the cleaners are terrible,they dont speak english and their idea of cleaning is emptying garbages and leaving!
We still do most of the cleaning ourselves!LOL

Get used to it man. I've been fighting the battle for years with contract cleaners....nothing changes...ever.
we are entitled to 15 hours a week at the Chapel in Shearwater and the cleaner thinks that entails emptying the garbage and eating his breakfast or lunch in the kitchen. Had the same problem in Belmont Park when I was in Esquimalt......called in the Supervisor and showed them the contract (in both places) and I stand over their shoulder daily to make sure we get it done....after about a month they get the message that people are watching and they start to do their job....all this because we fired DND cleaners and went to contractors.......this is saving us money...HA HA  ::)

Still have that problem in the Belmont Chapel,

Apparently it takes a month to run a vaccum over the balcony

FSTO said:

And to be fair for the people who have to read the critiques, if they don't get anything helpful, then reading them is just a complete waste of time.  When I did NETP in the summer, I had to request my own critique form instead of the form the class was given, as most of their commentary was pretty irrelevant.

DONT_PANIC said:
And to be fair for the people who have to read the critiques, if they don't get anything helpful, then reading them is just a complete waste of time.  When I did NETP in the summer, I had to request my own critique form instead of the form the class was given, as most of their commentary was pretty irrelevant.

On my current course, and any other course I've been on, we have always had separate critiques for each person.  That is the way that I think it should be.  Many people, unfortunately, don't feel the need to put much, if any, effort into them.  While others are quite vocal about their opinion.  Having separate ones then allows some critiques to actually be forwarded with pertinent information.  If you have a single form for the entire course, you will also find that some people won't/don't speak up on fear of being "found out" that it was them who said this or that, or they don't wish to voice their views aloud in front of classmates.

FTSO, during my first two weeks of NEIP, both mondays were filled with "bitch" sessions.
We, as NEIP participants, were asked to make suggestions as to content and what we liked and disliked.
So far, almost 2 months later, nothing has changed.

I am now on course and moving into a very intensive part of it that will take up part of my nights with night studies due to the classification of the content, and then on top of that i will still have to participate in NEIP. When am i going to get time to work on my kit? To visit with my family in town? Just be able to go to bed before midnight?

The program needs some major tweaking.
It could be a great program if it was set up in a way where it did not interfere with the studies of those on course.

JMO

Now, for cleaning stations...maybe the females are the only ones doing anything, but we check the garbage cans and pick up anything on the floors in the hall, heads, lounge and laundry room. Thats it. Usually it is left to the newbie females to do....lol
Takes maybe 10 minutes to do...

What happened the Nelles Clean TEAM?

There were the shiz after a hard night on friday. You would hear every garabage can with booze cans/bottles in it... None of them are supposed to be there... Man.

Springroll said:
The program needs some major tweaking.
It could be a great program if it was set up in a way where it did not interfere with the studies of those on course.

Agreed. Neip needs a huge overhaul.

Springroll have you told your instructor that neip is interfereing with your course studies? I started course last week but as soon as I find the program bothersome to my studying habits I will definitely bring it up with my instructor. For now the amount of my personal time that neip is eating up is my main concern.

:rofl: I tryed that on BOTC and the Sgt pissed himself laughing.....of course that was 30 years ago I'm sure that appealing to an NCOs kinder gentler side works nowadays....but I wouldn't take that to the bank.

Back