• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

NEIP...what is your opinion?

Any way to bypass this BS? Like.. get posted to Halifax if I must? Or just time in / experience ... is this possible? * Starts writing memo *

Anyone know when the NETP's run? Im going to see if I can get this done while im here doing nothing on my attach posting .

Here I go again,

adn yes I'm a little opinionated,

NEIP for all hands joing CFFSE is garbage, I came here after 3 years as a soldier, NEIP didn't exist back then so we didnt do it, the thing that I first noticed was yes a discipline problem, guys smoking joints in the shacks, drinking in the shacks which is not permitted in ESQ (but grabage) the largest offence to my soldierly thinking was this gross lake of personal discipline should result in multiple pages of results of summery tribunals in RO's, they were and are still nearly absent. it's simple the young troops get out of line you nail then with a 129 every now and then a fine the first time and CELLS the next let them spend the weekend in the can (yes speaking from experience) they will learn that behavior like that will not be tolerated. a 3 month program of "do it on your own time" lectures and PT will not solve discipline problems in the long term when these young folks get to a ship, hit a foregin port, and blow 900 bucks thier first night in and stumble back to the boat shirtless. as for the PT, the CDS has made it very clear this is a leadership issue, as such it should be daily, should be mandatory, and should be during working hours, and ok lets have it from instructers, classroom time is valuable, I did time at the fleet school 2 carreer courses where it was busy, really busy 2 or 3 days a week and my opposable digit inserted into my rear the rest of the time, when we could have been at the gym or a ball diamond or playing floor hockey, team sports and unit cohesion not a new concept, but to force someone who has both military and life experience to be subjected to inspections during meal hours (1600) and lectures and tours (that they do get on NETP or OSQAB or whatever the hell its called now) is ludacris, not only to mention that the JR Ranks mess is damn near a ghost town all of the time. Another military institution going by the wayside, maybe the fleet school should talk to the PMC and start having mandatory social functions by division ie a CTC mess dinner, uh oh the soldier in me is lashing out again.

I wopuld love to see the mess dinner tradition extend down to the JR mess but that is up to our PO's/Sgt's. It is up to the JR's.

TAS278 said:
I wopuld love to see the mess dinner tradition extend down to the JR mess but that is up to our PO's/Sgt's. It is up to the JR's.

What "mess dinner tradition"? 

Anyone can get a mess dinner organized.  There have got to be some old-timers in your mess that still know how things are done.  If not, then approach a PO or Chief.  Don't leave it to them to spread the traditions.  I found many times that I could talk about traditions, but if the "kids" had no interest or care in it, it wouldn't matter.  I agree alot of the traditions are falling to the wayside, and they need to be carried on, but there also needs to be the want in learning them too.

TAS278 said:

It is up to the POs/Sgts-WOs, or it is up to JRs?  Confused....

Like Airmich said anyone can get one together, provided you have the right support. I'm currently trying to garner support for a unit level JR Ranks "dining in" which is similar to a mess dinner but allows guests (wifes, girlfriends, hubbys, life partners that sort of thing)

Disenchantedsailor said:
I'm currently trying to garner support for a unit level JR Ranks "dining in" which is similar to a mess dinner but allows guests (wifes, girlfriends, hubbys, life partners that sort of thing)

That is another great thing to have, as well.  It gives the chance for your support system at home to meet your extended family at work in more of a structured atmosphere.  Also, for the crew members that have not had the opportunity to attend a true mess dinner, a dining-in is a good stepping stone for them.

Sorry about that, I mistyped. I meant it was not up the PO's/Sgt's. But to the mebers of the mess. Also i think it would wrong to say that mess dinners aren't a tradition in the military. They may not be for a particular unit/base, but as far as I am concerned they are a military tradition.

Indeed they are but when was the last time a Jr Rank put on mess dress (JLC aside), most regiments have mess dinners 4 or 5 times a year

I know our ship's company works to put on one per year. Usually in the Feb/Mar timeframe. This year's was held 3 March 2007.

And back to the real reason for the thread, yes I think NEIP does detract from study time, how cam it not when you're tied up with lectures and tours and PT every night until 20:00 not saying that all of those aren't important but they could be done during classroom time (especially PT and tours) and on that note just where do they take you folks to for tours during silent hours. (I will Say however I agree with the morning muster to inspect personal appearance, Dress, Drill, Deportment, the corner stones of Military Bearing).

I think all the negative points have been brought up and the only way that the course is going to change for the better is in a AAR or Course critic. But remmeber PEA when you are doing your course critic, dont just put down how shitty it is to have lectures at 1600 or PT and its "do what you want". If you come up with some sort of way to "improve the subject" then the standards personal that are conducting the course critic have more grounds to try and get the course fixed....

I also agree with allot of people that the Navy traditions are leaving our culture but "WE" the sailors are the ones that are doing it to ourselves. I remmeber the days when the ship or whatever unit i was at would have a get together and everyone would show up, right from the highest rank down. These days its all about spending quality time with the family!!!!!! or its lame to do that or something trival like that....OK before anyone gets to pissed off at me i have family myself and i remmeber a few times that i didnt want to go for whatever silly reason that i came up with and sometimes i didnt go, but the times that i did go it was excellent.

I remmber when i was on the Winnpeg we had a get together and it was bring your spouse, i think it was the first time that a ship did  that in a long time, needlesss to say it was awesome my wife got to meet everyone that i work with plus my CO, XO, and Coxn. It made her feel better when i left for 8 months and she knew who was looking after me to speak.

Anyway most of the navy traditions are going away cause of no one carrying it on, or cause of quality of life issues!!!...in my mind very sad. The navy isnt what it was when i joined it 14 years ago.

Your  opening remarks through me off as I have seen many AAR's/Course Critiques get completely ignored (especially in the navy). BUt everything else that you say makes great sense and I as well concur. If people would like to see things change then they need to stand up and voice it. :)

Like most things in life, you get out of it what you put into it. I personally would not like to be on NEIP, but if it was required, I'd do my best to take advantage of the positives.

I'm just wondering how I can get one of those smoking rooms next time I am on course in Esquimalt. ;)

TAS278 said:
Your opening remarks through me off as I have seen many AAR's/Course Critiques get completely ignored (especially in the navy). But everything else that you say makes great sense and I as well concur. If people would like to see things change then they need to stand up and voice it. :)
I call BS on that one. As a person who reads every one of the Course Critiques we attempt to change, alter, improve or explain every point brought up. NETP/NEIP course contents are constantly being massaged to improve the quality of training, but we cannot improve if we do not get CONSTRUCTIVE FEEDBACK!

FSTO said:
I call BS on that one. As a person who reads every one of the Course Critiques we attempt to change, alter, improve or explain every point brought up. NETP/NEIP course contents are constantly being massaged to improve the quality of training, but we cannot improve if we do not get CONSTRUCTIVE FEEDBACK!
Exactly FSTO!
airmich said:
Learn from it, use what you can, help the others with your own knowledge and experience and carry on.  In the critique portion of the program, be sure to indicate your likes and dislikes.  And provide suggestions for solutions.  Those are always appreciated.  Oh, and welcome to the Navy.  ;D

Coming on here and talking about it and getting opinions is one thing.  But if you have a problem, or concern, or even questions about NEIP, or any course for that matter, it needs to be brought up.  And not just generalized bitching, but state what you think is the problem and provide a possible solution or suggestion for correcting it!  Look out for your buddies that might be on the course next, instead of just checking off "OK" on that weekly critique because you don't want to put the time or effort into it, or figure it's not worth it to fill it out.  Instructors aren't going to notice everything while they are teaching a course.  And if you keep a poker face, or don't talk about things in front of them, they will never know your feelings about it.  As well, don't just note the bad things.  Ensure that you emphasize what worked well, or what you enjoyed too!

Back