• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

NEIP...what is your opinion?

Springroll

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
For the last year or so, all new sailors, when arriving in Esquimalt, have had the "honour" of participating in NEIP, the Naval Enviromental Indoctrination Program.
The program is meant to help new sailors get accustomed to the navy way of life and to teach us about the different programs available to us. It was also brought into effect when they noticed that alot of new young sailors were getting themselves into trouble after just arriving here.

Are any of you on it or already completed it?
If so, what did you think of it?
Good points?
Bad points?

I've completed my three months of NEIP after arriving here in Esquimalt and I personally wasn't a fan of it (in fact, I don't know anyone who has gone through the program and said that said they liked it).  The only benifit that I can see is that it does get personnel in the gym more and also provides a method to get more familiar with the base itself.  I didn't really understand why we would have to do it here in Esquimalt, but other new naval recruits going to Halifax did not..... just didn't seem fair to me.

How often do you attend it?  What all does it entail?  What exactly do you not like about it?

When the base was first talking about doing it, I personally thought it sounded like a good idea.  Think of all of the questions that are asked on the boards here about accommodations, vehicles, etc.  While many people joining now are of a more "mature" age, there are still many kids signing up.  First time away from home, lots of money in the pocket, and free and on their own.  Or you get the ones that just hide in their room because they aren't sure what is out there for them and they are hesitant to check things out on their own.

As for the comparison to Halifax, the program isn't a Navy-generated program, but rather one run by CFB Esquimalt.  If it works, it will most likely catch on to other bases.  In fact, I am sure that other bases already have some sort of "welcome" program in effect.

airmich said:
How often do you attend it?  What all does it entail?  What exactly do you not like about it?

The program is a monday to friday deal.

Monday morning room inspection, then muster at 1800, then cleaning stations, then lectures until 2000-2100hrs.
Tuesday morning muster then muster again at 1800, cleaning stations then PT at the gym from 1845-1945hrs
Wednesday morning muster then muster again at 1800, cleaning stations, then go on a tour(unless it was done during the day)
Thursday morning muster then muster again at 1800, cleaning stations then off to PT at the gym
Friday morning muster then your done with it for the day.

As stated mondays are lectures, tuesday and thursday are PT and wednesdays are tour days.
I have only been on it for 3 weeks, but what I don't like is the repetitiveness of the lectures(the same ones as at basic) and how much of our off time is taken up by it when we could be working on our homework, studying and working on our kit.

I will say that i did enjoy the tour of Rocky Point...that was a really interesting tour.

I'll be in Esquimalt next month but will be in pat so I'm not sure if I'll be doing NEIP.

Springroll said:
but what I don't like is the repetitiveness of the lectures(the same ones as at basic)
Get used to that.  Every course you go on, every new unit you go to, you'll be hearing the same lectures about what is available to you as a member, what you should/shouldn't do etc.

Springroll said:
and how much of our off time is taken up by it when we could be working on our homework, studying and working on our kit.
Obviously your instructors are aware that you are on this program and the hours required for it, right?  Do they take that into account when assigning homework and scheduling exams at all?  Just looking at the timings that you have provided, yes, you might have some late nights if you had alot of homework and studying.  But except for Mondays, and possibly Wednesdays with the tours, you don't seem to be required too late for any of the days.  Plus you have the entire weekend, including Friday night, off.  I'm sure that you were up just as late, if not later, on BMQ preparing kit, cleaning etc, and there you weren't guaranteed your weekends off.

Back in the 60's and early 70's there used to exist a handbook for navy NCM's that they were given when they go in. In it listed all all manner of things that you needed to know. The joining instructions they give you now really don't tell you anything. Perhaps instead of giving them another course, that to me seems like a Ordinary Seaman Under Training Program for the land, do up some sort of handbook and give it to them.

airmich said:
Get used to that.  Every course you go on, every new unit you go to, you'll be hearing the same lectures about what is available to you as a member, what you should/shouldn't do etc.

Don't forget filling out the same forms over and over and over and over......

I heard that once you did the three months, you can move out of Nelles Block, any truth to this?

RowdyBowdy said:
I heard that once you did the three months, you can move out of Nelles Block, any truth to this?

I hadn't heard that, but it would also depend on what course you were on.  For the majority of 3's courses at fleet school, you have to live in.  Or at least "maintain" a room.

Stoker said:
Back in the 60's and early 70's there used to exist a handbook for navy NCM's that they were given when they go in. In it listed all all manner of things that you needed to know. The joining instructions they give you now really don't tell you anything. Perhaps instead of giving them another course, that to me seems like a Ordinary Seaman Under Training Program for the land, do up some sort of handbook and give it to them.

I have no idea of how the navy per's do it.But however nice a book would be,how many times do you think OS blugger would say "I didn't know" after being trusted to read the book.Or "I didn't understand the book".A course on the same subject matter allows MS to say "No excuse...you were taught it" ;)

Example:issued to the army.

THE ARMY FITNESS MANUAL.

Well read book there.... ::)

Book would be great for a reference to a new members questions though.Good idea for all trades to give out prior to getting to the place of enployment.

RowdyBowdy said:

Unless you have a spouse/ gf or bf why would you want to move out?  First year salary isn't that hot; you'd be spending much of your earnings on rent. I know I plan to live in the shacks till I have enough money for a down payment on a house

SoF said:
Unless you have a spouse/ gf or bf why would you want to move out?  First year salary isn't that hot; you'd be spending much of your earnings on rent. I know I plan to live in the shacks till I have enough money for a down payment on a house

Because living in nelles block sucked and I couldnt wait to get out.  First year salary is actually pretty good if you are not spending $400/month on rations.

RowdyBowdy said:
Because living in nelles block sucked and I couldnt wait to get out.  First year salary is actually pretty good if you are not spending $400/month on rations.

If I were living off base I'd definitely eat more than $400 a month. How much does is rent anyways out in Victoria?

SoF said:
If I were living off base I'd definitely eat more than $400 a month. How much does is rent anyways out in Victoria?

$400 a month is ALOT of food a month. You can find a place ot rent here for about $600 to 650/month for a 650 sq ft 1 bedroom apartment.

RowdyBowdy said:
$400 a month is ALOT of food a month. You can find a place ot rent here for about $600 to 650/month for a 650 sq ft 1 bedroom apartment.

Have you been shoppng recently; you throw a couple items in the cart and bam you're already at a $100. 600 is not too bad but it would probably be cheaper to rent a 2 or 3 bedroom with the buddies

I was spending $400-$450 a month on groceries for a family of 5...rations are darn expensive. Only bonus is that we don't have to cook it or clean it up afterwards.

Nelles isn't all that bad....things are only as bad or tough, as you make them.

They wanted to put our guys in Nelles for OTT2 and I said not a chance.

the C&PO's in Esquimalt is just as bad.

R & Q at Nelles should be free as it is a dump.

Well it can't be any worse than what I'm eating at home right now ;D Now Borden food...that was a real treat.

One of the fine Naval traditions that is not covered under NEIP is that young sailors, soldiers and airmen have always gotten into trouble... It's just a fact of life. What's different about today is that the Navy is much more self-conscious about  it's image, and bad press. There was a time not that long ago, when the senior naval Leadership decried the fact that young warriors were becoming too tame...
having said all that, learning how to become a sailor, part of a Navy, and developing a sense of cultural identity is a good thing and something to be celebrated!

Back