• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

NEIP...what is your opinion?

i remember when i did OSUT on the ship. Case of beer on the bar with your book on top of it and come back in an hour and the book was all signed.

Saltycdog said:
having said all that, learning how to become a sailor, part of a Navy, and developing a sense of cultural identity is a good thing and something to be celebrated!

NEIP does not teach you about being a sailor...thats what NETP is for. Also, so far it hasn't taught me anything about the culture other than cleaning stations.

Cleaning Stations.

Welcome to the first 6 years of your career.

Sig_Des said:
Don't forget filling out the same forms over and over and over and over......

Oh God I'm having a flashback!! Basic Training 7708.....

Ocdt IHS: Warrant, Why do we have to keep doing this over and over again?
WO Jessome (RCR since before Adam was in short pants) TO TEACH YOU TOLERANCE MR IHS!! GET DOWN AND GIVE ME 25!!!

Springroll said:
NEIP does not teach you about being a sailor...thats what NETP is for. Also, so far it hasn't taught me anything about the culture other than cleaning stations.

You need to also look at the fact that you are most likely not part of the "target" group that the program was initially intended for.  You have had the experience (I am assuming) of managing a budget, buying necessary supplies for your well-being (clothes, toiletries etc), setting up a schedule/routine for yourself etc etc.  Think back to what it might have been like had you been 19 and on course.  Decent size paycheck every 2 weeks (which ends up just screaming for a new car or motorcycle, plus nights out boozing and buying decent meals), the influence of the not-so-savoury crowd, which could lead to alcohol, drugs etc.  Even the basics of being away from mommy for the first time and not knowing how to do your laundry or which toothpaste to buy.

Yes, I realize that alot of those basics were utilized on BMQ, but there you also weren't on your own as much.  I have read too many articles, seen too many messages, heard too many stories, of the kids buying new cars and smashing them into walls, or mixing with the wrong crowd and being led down the garden path.  Or you get the ones that are quiet and shy, and just don't do anything because they don't know where to start.  And so the base has created a program of where to start.  Sure, maybe cleaning stations every night isn't going to teach you wrong from right.  And maybe having to stay in to listen to lectures every other night isn't going to keep you away from the Tutor House.  But it's a start.  No program ever started out perfect.

Learn from it, use what you can, help the others with your own knowledge and experience and carry on.  In the critique portion of the program, be sure to indicate your likes and dislikes.  And provide suggestions for solutions.  Those are always appreciated.  Oh, and welcome to the Navy.  ;D

airmich said:
Learn from it, use what you can, help the others with your own knowledge and experience and carry on.  In the critique portion of the program, be sure to indicate your likes and dislikes.  And provide suggestions for solutions.  Those are always appreciated.  Oh, and welcome to the Navy.  ;D

Never been in the Navy, never will be (no offense!) but some things are true regardless of the DEU or capbadge we wear.

As for repitition?  How many times in your career do you think you will here the SISP and harassment briefings?  Get used to it.  If something is repeated, like safety during weapons classes, there is a reason for it. 

And as always, remember where you fit in to the puzzle.  I myself, am a small obscure piece, but my job is to make sure I fit in so the puzzle in complete.  Everyone else has that job too.

Not to sound cynical but this program sounds like a way to keep people from screwing up by keeping them busy. Not a bad idea, but it shouldn't mandatory rather a punishment. Trust me the course would still be full. Esquimalt QL3's always bring out "The Best" in young men and women, but not being treated like an adult doesn't help it.
I am glad this is just a local program and I truly hope it doesn't migrate to Halifax.

It does address some of the larger issues in the current CF, lack of structure, lack of PT, lack of discipline. Being spoon fed as an OD might be the only way to try to reinstill these values...

Alas I am just a spectator.

TAS278 said:
It does address some of the larger issues in the current CF, lack of structure, lack of PT, lack of discipline. Being spoon fed as an OD might be the only way to try to reinstill these values...

Alas I am just a spectator.

These are very good points. The program really doesn't do much as far as structure and discipline is concerned, it is still the navy, but it definitely does address the need for more PT. We not only have PT on Tuesday and Thursday evenings, but we also have division PT every thursday afternoon.

Now if we could convince some of the old sea dogs to go with us...

Springroll said:
Now if we could convince some of the old sea dogs to go with us...

You go ahead and try it, but I'm guessing those "old sea dogs" will take a big bite out of you "young pups"

Do not worry, the old sea dogs will be running a 5km on the 23 Feb 07 and more Fleet PT to follow.

This old sea dog got an Exempt!!!

Plus Marlant in Motion..........

The East Coast Navy has adopted a very aggressive PT program.

This is not the year to not do or even worse fail an EXPRES.

Are you serious HfxCrow?

That is awesome!! Is Marlant having everyone participate in it? What a great idea!!
I had heard something about MarPac doing something similar, but haven't seen anything as of yet.

Sig_Des, you are totally right on that....they would eat me for lunch and use my bones as toothpicks.

I am damn serious I got level 9.5...

Yes PT is a daily occurrence in the Fleet. Either with your department or personal or MARLANT runs.

Failing your PT test this year will have grave implications on your career and PER.

So going back to NEIP PT , what a splendid idea!!

HFXCrow said:
I am damn serious I got level 9.5...

Yes PT is a daily occurrence in the Fleet. Either with your department or personal or MARLANT runs.

Failing your PT test this year will have grave implications on your career and PER.

So going back to NEIP PT , what a splendid idea!!

No issues for me with passing it....this year I am going to go for my exemption. Should be easier now that I am a little lighter..lol
The NEIP PT is a great idea, if it was guided PT, but we are basically led into the gym and told to do whatever you want.

Pay your dues and will see you on East Coast in time for cleaning stations.

Crow

I heard they did once when the got it :) Just to see what it looks like.

Back on topic, this still sounds like a huge waste of time just to get members back in the gym.

NO offense to the older "sea dogs" But they will be out soon and the ones who can't do the PT will not be an issue.

I see a problem with discipline.. but as I said my prospective is a little off so maybe everything is hunky dory.

Back