• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Army.ca Chat [merged]

Good day Mike, I enjoy the chat room very much as do many others.  We have started to see some "regulars" appearing in it and enjoy the playful banter that is thrown around.  On that note, I have been meaning to post this after noticing on a few occasions that some people would just come in and lurk.  Now this is not a problem except that these people's profiles (when checked) were not filled out and had 0 posts.  I find that akin to a group of us talking in the canteen and some guy in an overcoat walking up and staring at us without saying anything.

I was wondering if there was a way to possibly ensure that anyone joining the chat room could have at least their profile filled out or maybe a minimum 5 posts?  This would help keep out trolls and other unsavoury people as it would give the DS at least five posts to help in hunting down said person's IP if they "pushed thier luck".  I think it would also allow the person to establish themselves on the forum and perhaps avoid them asking questions that might be answered if they had just taken the time to peruse the different forums.

Cheers,
Bzz

Bzz,

Interesting you should mention that as the Staff have said exactly the same thing. I'm in the process of figuring out how to implement this.

Cheers
Mike

Another thing that you can do, is when they come in and you have an 'uncomfortable feeling', simply ask them who they are.  I have done this once or twice.  Usually if they are interested in the Chat Room, they will reply.  Some are there to gleam info only, and not give unqualified input, so they may state that also.  I do agree that it does give you an unnerving feeling when someone comes into the Chat Room and lurks, as opposed to reading the Forums.  Perhaps a hint, here and there, to fill out their profiles would help also, as many new members are leaving them blank.

We had 29 people in there two nights ago.  It gets quite crowded at times when several conversations are running at the same time.  I try to encourage some to move to the other Rooms that Mike has created.  Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't.  I would hope that we can see those Rooms put to better use in the future.

The Private Message feature is also a great thing....unless you have several on the go at the same time.  ;D

Yes, I have noticed you like that George.. but the pictures in the speedos must stop, I don't want them!!

Mike, I am sure it has been discussed with the DS (of which I am not a part of, hint hint) I just thought I would make it public to see what people's feelings were on the subject.  I know in most IRC channels there really isn't any profiling per se, but in here we are forced to stick with our forum profile and therefore I feel it should be filled out.

Another thing to maybe impement in the chat room (if possible) would be personalized away messages... I always find it convenient to say that I have gone to supper, am watching hockey, etc.. gives a time frame to expect one to return.  Oh, and a larger conversation "buffer" so I can catch up on what I missed while I was gone, thanks.

Bzzliteyr said:
Yes, I have noticed you like that George.. but the pictures in the speedos must stop, I don't want them!!

Some of us regulars like them BZZ!! Good thread going here. I agree with your observations (save the speedos)....PMs are a wonderful thing!!

Vern

Ok, users must have 10 posts before they can join the chat room. Please let me know if you have any problems or questions.

Cheers
Mike

Mike Bobbitt said:
Ok, users must have 25 posts before they can join the chat room. Please let me know if you have any problems or questions.

Cheers
Mike
Excellent idea!

Wow, that is great!!  Not only will it filter the chat room, but it will encourage those who want to come play to get involved in the forum aspect of Army.ca too!  Maybe a front page announcment of this new policy will help avoid the "why can't I get in the chat room?" posts that are sure to follow.

Idea:  Of course, I thought of this only minutes ago!! What if it allowed people in the chat room but did not give them "voice" permissions?  They can listen (and potentially learn) but can't participate until they have a high enough post count?

When you can't get in, the chat room tells you that you need 10 posts.

I'll also throw out there that any user "padding" their post count to get into chat will find themselves starting up the warning system. Don't mean to sound ominous, just being proactive. :)

Cheers
Mike

Another great reason to be on this site,well thought out constructive criticism Bzzliteyr and kudos to Mike for responding in the manner in which he did. Just joining the chat room lately, yes I was one of the some time "lurkers". Primarily to learn about it , was it worth it and how to work the controls. I agree with Bzzliteyr on reading profiles as several times I have left chat to check on a particpants profile- is this person for real, also I find this useful in understanding some of the conversations specifically ones perspective ie the well known fixation of post adolsencent males and the other gender. It also helps me in formulating answers to questions. The answer that would satisfy a 10 year CF vet with an MA will be over the head of a 15 year old army cadet and vice versa. The PM feature is great now that I know how to operate it and recivied the instructions in chat w/o out being barked at. It is nice to see a certain amount of self policing w/o running to the teacher. In closing see you in chat tonite.

Yes, I enjoy this option..

Of course the chatroom has just forcibly evolved Army.ca from Internet Cocaine to full-blown internet Crack....I just can't stop... :blotto:

Sig_Des said:
Yes, I enjoy this option..

Of course the chatroom has just forcibly evolved Army.ca from Internet Cocaine to full-blown internet Crack....I just can't stop... :blotto:

Unlike crack, you don't have to pay cash for this little addiction. That being said, it doesn't come free. [hint].

Whiskey.. is that in reference to the little blue box "Army.ca subscriber" under your name?? True true.. I too have been getting in trouble as of late with the chat side of the house.  "Yeah right, George Wallace has to be some young hottie with a false name" says the girlfriend... if only she knew..

Bzz

Bzzliteyr said:
"Yeah right, George Wallace has to be some young hottie with a false name"
Bzz

He's a hottie all right!! And young at heart counts for everything!! Tell your girlfriend that a girl said so!!

A note to those sucking bandwidth....

Mike Bobbitt said:
I'll also throw out there that any user "padding" their post count to get into chat will find themselves starting up the warning system. Don't mean to sound ominous, just being proactive. :)

Three lousy Posts.....  I get booted.  Well, This is not padding, I take issue to this!  Its not like I'm lurking around, its not like I cause any trouble here, I just want to be able to get into the chat room.  So what exactly is this "Warning system", and how does it work?  Please let me know so I can keep my nose clean.

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/24937.0.html

The warning system is covered in the "All Must Read"  Army.ca conduct guidelines.

You didn't get booted, you just need to become "more acquainted" with us and our forums.  Warnings are usually handed out for bad things.  I am sure by "padding" then mean someone posting replies of "cool" and "great idea" on to other people's posts instead of contributing with something of value, that's all.

Pull up a chair, don't be shy.. we love to hear new people's opinions on what they think of stuff that made be old news to us.. it's fun to get a new perspective on things.

Bzz

JSR - your posts to date have been good; however, it is kinda of silly to post "8", "9" and "10" when Mike Bobbitt explicitly says not to do it for the sake of getting into the chat room.  Go look around the forums and make a couple good posts and there shouldn't be a problem.

OK, I went back and read the conduct guidelines again, and from what I could see I crossed two of them.  In My defence, I didn't notice Mike Bobbitt's post explicitly stating not to do that type of thing.  My bad.  If I had noticed it, I would not have done it.  I appologize. 

Back