• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Army.ca Chat [merged]

Rocky Mountain Ranger said:
The website will become rather stale once everything has been discussed.

Yep, and in the 1870’s, German physicist Max Planck (the guy who invented quantum theory) was advised against going into physics, having been told that “in this field, almost everything is already discovered.”

I think we've got a wee bit more ground to cover before the realm of military, defence and security topics is all discussed out.  ;D

Journeyman[Edit]  Sorry......RMR

I am sure you never tire of hearing the same question over and over the same day from someone and all of their friends.  "Can you hear me now?"
Mike's working out of his own home with his own equipment to run his site.  "Can you still hear me now?"
His Hard Drive and Server can only hold a finite amount of data.  "Can you hear me now?"
When several people come onto the site a day and ask the same question or start a new Topic using variations of the same question, "Can you hear what I am saying?" over and over again, using up bandwidth and everyone's time it makes me wonder if "You can still hear me, right?"
It behoves the Staff to regulate it all and keep the site running smoothly.  "Can you still hear me?"
Sure our patience sometimes gets a bit stretched.  "Are you still hearing me?"
One word nonsensical posts waste all our time here.  "Do you still hear me?'
People who can't use their own initiative and want to become members, even officers, in the CF, without the abilities to use the Search Function become suspect in their intentions, abilities, and potential to become members of the CF.  "You still listening?"  It becomes rather disheartening to have to deal with these immature attitudes at times.  "Can you still hear me?"
Do we get annoyed at times and try to take measures to prevent abuse of this site.  "Are you still hearing me?"
You bet we do.  "Is the reception still good?"

We are trying to maintain a serious and informative site.  We try to keep it a professional site.  We do not want it to become a childish Chat site.  Naturally some sensibilities may be insulted by gruff responses at times, but those gruff responses are most likely due to someone not researching their question first.  The site has been up and running long enough to have covered all but the most recent changes to the CF, so yes we will never become "Stale or Stagnant" as you put it.

So if you really like listening to the kids in the backseat asking every five minutes: "Are we there yet?" you can take up the job full time to answer those questions.  :eek:    ;D

George Wallace said:
Journeyman[Edit]  Sorry......RMR

Naturally some sensibilities may be insulted by gruff responses at times, but those gruff responses are most likely due to someone not researching their question first. 

At this time I feel I must commend the 48th for his clear concise language and grammatical skill for answering the above. He also shows an usual understanding and ability far beyond his peers in dealling with the proverbial "Are we there yet"

Perhaps I should've reworded my thread a bit.  I completely understand the purpose of using search, however, it's important to keep topics open-ended for new opinions, instead of just automatically saying "SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH!"   

In retrospect, I now realize how difficult this can be for the majority of the topics covered on this site.  New, interesting threads will pop up less often on account of the number of topics covered.  I admit, this is one of the better sites out there, and a big thanks to Mike. 

Rocky Mountain Ranger said:
....it's important to keep topics open-ended for new opinions, instead of just automatically saying "SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH!"   

How about posting opinion obout topics already covered in a previous threads.  Would you not agree that it would help in the mechanics of the site as opposed to started a thread that has already been done.

dileas

tess

George Wallace said:
No, it is not limited to him alone.  There have been several other people on the Forums posting one liners.  In on instance one person posted three one liners in three different topics in less than a minute.  Doesn't look suspicious does he?  What a great way to catch the attention of the Staff.

Pot calling the kettle black? I was wondering how someone can have 2000 plus posts. Here we are hammering away at new members for quality posts so not as waste moderators time and control entry into the chat room. Well I just spent the day going through the entire Military History Forum. Not each and every thread but page by page and on every page I would sample a thread or two. Frankly I was astonished at the number of one line posts. Hmmmmmmmmmm!

From people who no doubt have proved their mettle, here on the site, with many other quality and informative  posts.

That is the difference.

dileas

tess

Although it would look sloppy, there are times I wish that as soon as you login you would get a full screen flashing banner that says STOP....HAVE A QUESTION?USE SEARCH FUNCTION FIRST.

It astounds me how on a daily basis, a new thread is started with a topic that has been flogged to death in dozens of threads.

Wait I know this one... when there's an election coming in 2 days? :D

OK OK the fifty million question...how do i get into the chatroom?plz help me i am having a hard time here...lol

you only have 2 posts, so once you have met the minimum post count (10) you will be able to partake in the chatrooom.  You are encouraged to read through many of our interesting topics and join in the conversations to bring your post count up.  Be aware, the admins are very keen at looking for "waste" posts just to bring your post count up.

And the Moderators are very quick to pick up on things.    ;D

Just don't break the rules.

This is not a Gamer's Forum, nor is it a Chat Forum.

Thought I'd post this here, instead of starting a new thread.
Is there a way to show who is in the chat room and what Chanel they are in, without having to actually "enter" the chat room?

Unfortunately not. Given some time I may be able to see if it's possible, but it would require a bit of work.

Cheers
Mike

Is it just me and my system or is the chat room down?....If it's me no big I'm sure I can figure it out.

If not and no one had noticed yet then I guess I provided a service...Oooohhhh Loookkkeee I'm useful ;D

It seems like it is down... When was it last known to be working? I'm checking it out now...

Back