• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Reserve Thread- A Merged Collection of Q & A's

BeastMode said:
Hey,
I have been interested in joining the army reserves for some time and have finally decided to go forward with it. I have done my own research but I still have some questions that I couldn't get answered / am still confused with that I was hoping someone might be able to answer.
First, my primary choice for placement in the army reserves would be infantry, but I would be fine with armored or artillery as-well. I really have no idea what reserve unit I would like to go to thought, I have researched ones in my area (Toronto) such as Queens own Rifles and 48th Highlanders, but there is limited information on the units so it has left me very unsure which one to go with. My question is how should I go about picking a reserve unit? what units are considered the 'best'?

Next, do I go to my local recruitment center or the reserve unit itself to sign up?

Lastly, I have heard it is somewhat difficult to get into a reserve unit as there are a limited amount of spots each year. My question is what do they look for to distinguish the candidates they want for the unit and the ones they do not? does education / age / work experience play a role?

I realize these questions have probably been asked 1000 times here before and I apologize in advance.

Thanks,

In choosing a reserve unit, you should base it mostly on occupation. You can also apply to more than one unit. If history matters (ie. what you would be representing), research the history of the unit. Try to meet some of the soldiers of some units, and decide that way.

You apply for a reserve unit the same way you apply for reg force. You do everything through the recruiting centre, but in addition, you'll have to sit down and talk with the recruiter for the reserve units you apply for. They'll go over a form that outlines the methods and purpose of the reserves, and it gets added to your application. Plus, you complete a fitness test.

There's a lot of things they look at for the reserves. Of course sports is one thing, work experience is another. Life experience, goals... That said, if you've never done a physical activity in your life, you might have problems with the fitness test. It's also expected that you would keep up a decent level of fitness during your time in the reserves.

Talk to your local Recruiting Centre and the reserve units you're interested in. If they have vacancies, the CF will determine your eligibility.

Good luck!

I am 30 with a career and a kid and I have a few questions for reservists

is it worth it ?

Do I have to go away for three months for bmq?
          Having a new born right now and talk of one more
      Theres little chance of getting away for the next three
      years for more than three weeks or so at a time.

Thank you

RyanW said:
I am 30 with a career and a kid and I have a few questions for reservists

is it worth it ?

Do I have to go away for three months for bmq?
          Having a new born right now and talk of one more
      Theres little chance of getting away for the next three
      years for more than three weeks or so at a time.

Thank you

Short answer? Get down to a reserve unit, or your CFRC and ask some questions. All can be answered there.

"is it worth it?"...if ever there was an open ended question, that has to be one. What you take away from employment in the reserves will probably be directly proportional to what you put into it. Every one takes away something different, but I'm sure you will find it a worthwhile endeavor.

I'm 37 with an 18 month old at home. You will appreciate your wife and child more with a bit more away time. It helps put things into perspective.

" You always miss 100% of the shots you didn't take" Wayne Gretzky.

"Is it worth it"? ...well I like what Bluebulldog said...and I'm 48 with a 2.5 year old  8).

For me it's been 30 years since my last involvement in a "para-military youth organization" :D; looking back now in supposed mid-life I regret not pursuing the CF further at that time. Anecdotal evidence seems to indicate  that most people regret not what  they do but what they didn't do with their lives, so I regret not getting out on a 6 mo. Far East Cruise in Grade 12 like some of my cadet mates, since by staying home and finishing HS on time I still didn't get my math/physics/chem marks up high enough for a solid application to ROTP... anyway, fast fwd 30 years and I've submitted my application to the PRes (Artillery here in 41 CBG is open wouldn't ya know it ;D)

Thank you for the impute  guys . I will look into it on my next 4 off.

Oh and next time I will use the serch function. :)

Like many people I let an opportunity slip for reg force work a few years back, although I was able to ignore the itch for a while I finally went for it.  Im 29 with 2 kids under 4 and a full time life outside of my unit.  I always wanted to know and understand the military lifestyle and now im getting my chance to experience it, so far its a pile of work and a pile of fun.

Go find out where and when your local unit parades and if they have open positions(as I understand many dont) Ask your questions, talk about the answers with your wife and decide between the two of you if it will work for your family. Do I think its worth it...absolutely, Do I regret signing on the dotted line....not a chance, are weekend courses and taskings hard on my wife who stays home full time during the week and now im asking her to do it on weekends too...better believe it.

In order to get things you've never had, you have to do things you've never done

my :2c:
RTG :cdn:

Hi,

I am interested in applying and joining to the reserves. I have read through the website and have done some research, but still have some questions.

Firstly, I have read that there are contracts for joining the military. I am out of school for about eight months come January and was hoping to put in some time with the forces as opposed to simply working a meaningless job. Now would it be possible to put in training for those eight months only ? I know contracts are only for those in the Full Program. so would I truly be able to commit eight months ?

Secondly, what sorts of training is required for the reserves ? Specifically, do I need to take Basic Training to be eligible to join the reserves ? I ask because I am in a sensitive situation in my household and would not be able to leave my family for 3 months to complete basic training.

Third, I keep reading things about reservists being 'weekend warriors' and whatnot. I was hoping to be a 'full time reservist' for those eight months. Is this an option at all ? Or is training only during the weekend one of the stipulations for enlisting as a reservist ? Obviously the ideal situation seems to be joining the full time program since I want to put in training everyday, but I expect to return to school next September so I do not want to put in a long-term obligation that will be detrimental to my studies.

Fourth, related to the second, is if I were accepted into the reserves, where would my training take place ? I am currently studying at Ryerson, and I know there is the Moss Park Armoury which hosts several of the Primary Reserves. Would I be able to train at this location, or even anywhere within the city of Toronto (not including the GTA) ?

Thank you enormously for your help,
and I apologize if some of my questions were those with easily-accessible answers.

Himel Khan

OK, I'll put this as simply as possibly.

No, you can't just "join the Reserves" for an 8-month full time contract.  (Please don't even try rephrasing that question.)

You can and should visit the recruiting staff at your local units, but it is very likely that any unit in Ontario has already taken in its very limited recruiting quote for this fiscal year.  Many units in Ontario were only authorized 5-10 new soldiers for 2010-11.

Yes, Reservists must take Basic training.

Basic training for Reservists is usually done on a part-time basis at local armouries and nearby training areas when required (near-by can be 2-4 hours drive away). The part-time schedule means weekends and (possibly) one night per week). For Land Force reserve units, there is not a full-time option. (Even if someone claims there have been exceptions, it will not be an option you can request.)

Lastly, keep reading, you obviously haven't found all the relevant threads.

Also to add to that, a lot of class B (full time) positions have been cut. There's still work out there but it usually goes to trained troops, you wouldn't send a no-hook on something like that. Most reservists work full time in the summer and after your DP1/QL3 you might be able to get a short term contract for the summer doing various things ranging from driver, enemy force, and Ceremonial Guard to name only a few.

Though what Michael said was right, there's no 8 month contract with the reserves that you can just sign up for right off the streets. If you just want to join for 8 months don't bother applying.

Also what do you mean by 'full time program'? Are you talking about the reg force?

Also to add to that, a lot of class B (full time) positions have been cut. There's still work out there but it usually goes to trained troops, you wouldn't send a no-hook on something like that. Most reservists work full time in the summer and after your DP1/QL3 you might be able to get a short term contract for the summer doing various things ranging from driver, enemy force, and Ceremonial Guard to name only a few.

Though what Michael said was right, there's no 8 month contract with the reserves that you can just sign up for right off the street. If you just want to join for 8 months don't bother applying.

Also what do you mean by 'full time program'? Are you talking about the reg force?

Hello everyone!!!

I was just looking for a bit of information regarding the reserves. I am currently interested in the army, but am a full time post-secondary student, so RF is out of the question for now.

My first question is, if I was interested in becoming an infantry officer, how does all that work reserve wise? and would it be better to do maybe Infantry Soldier in the reserve and wait untill RF to try as an officer? Or how would that all work?

Secondly, I know a lot about RF, from application, to basic, to mostly all the elements of training, etc. But I have no idea what-so-ever about how Reserve actually works?

Thanks!!!!

Best thing to do would be to speak to Recruiting personnel in your local Reserve unit.

if I was interested in becoming an infantry officer, how does all that work reserve wise?

Pretty much the same as Non-Commissioned.  You'd need to get through the Recuiting process, get enrolled, and then pass the required courses (Basic, Phase 1, Phase 2, etc.).

would it be better to do maybe Infantry Soldier in the reserve and wait untill RF to try as an officer?

I don't know about nowadays, but way back in the 90's when I was in, it was easier to cross the line between Reserves and Regs than crossing the line between Commissioned and Non-Commissioned.  However, and I'll emphasize however, it's all up to the current requirements of the military.  If they need officer's, they'll recruit officers, if they need NCM's, they'll recruit NCM's.

how would that all work?

It depends on the Reserve unit in question, and the current requirements of the CF.

I have no idea what-so-ever about how Reserve actually works?

Even though that wasn't actually phrased as a question (might be a good idea to keep working on your studies - just a thought though), I'll treat it as such.  Pretty much the same as the Regs.  Occasionally, some Reserve units will run weekend courses that don't require you to go away for weeks at a time, but they're all dependant on having qualified instructors at the unit, and funding for said course.  And, obviously, the Reserves are generally part-time casual employment, unless one gets a offered a full-time contract, which would be unusual for someone who just joined.

If you are in fact in Calgary, the Calgary Highlanders are a very large and active unit, and may have spots open.

My advice to you would be to consider a couple years in the ranks first. There's no shortage of junior officers in the reserves, and if you want to actually do soldiering, you'll get more of that as an NCM. I can't speak for the Cal High, but at my unit we have a ton of junior officers waiting to get on backlogged courses, and only a couple commanding platoons- and they've been in for a while.

What do you hope to get out of it?

Well I actually went to the Calgary Highlanders tonight for a recruiting information session they hold. Found out some discouraging news, they are not accepting any more Infantry probally untill April. On an upside that gives me time to get into better shape.

Brihard said:
What do you hope to get out of it?

Reserve wise? I want to get a taste of Army, hopefully do a year or maybe 2 and then if I really like it, transfer to the RF.

Thanks for all the advice/help guys!!

How many gr.10 credits do I need before I can join the Army Reserves?
And I'm having trouble finding an Army Reserve recruiting center in Ottawa, Ontario, could any of you possibly help? I'm planning to become infantry or military police.
If I'm accepted into the Army Reserves, what's the youngest age I can be deployed? My parents are supportive of my career choice and will give me consent for being deployed.

Welcome to Army.ca

You are asking a lot of questions about the Reserves.  The majority of them have been answered already in topics that cover such things as Age requirements, Education requirements, etc.

As for locations in Ottawa to find a Recruiting Office, you can go to the CFRC on Slater Street and get a list of where all the Reserve units in the area are located and their contact numbers.

Back