• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Great Gun Control Debate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jarnhamar said:
I think we've all picked up on that yes.
lol  ;)

Jarnhamar said:
We're speaking hypothetically?  I would refuse to cooperate and let them arrest me, sans any sort of violence, and then fight it out to the best of my ability in court.
You are perhaps comfortable with rolling over and doing whatever they tell you and hope they don't take more away because of your career and freedom. I'm not.  I respect the RCMP and the RCMP is something I've strongly considered as a second career. I think they have an incredibly hard job to do and don't get the support or respect they deserve. I also think they make some pretty big mistakes and my admiration of them and their difficult job isn't an excuse to look the other way when they frig up or not criticize them. I feel the same way about the CF.

Hey, I never said I look the other way and not criticize, I'd just rather start the criticism after the police are gone and after I continue to not be in jail.

But let's stop arguing this point, we've establish that we've just got different way; power to you.

Jarnhamar said:
I think you have a pretty ingrained stereotype as to what us firearm owners are all about and I don't think that view will change anytime soon.

This hurts. My opinion on gun control has changed significantly over just the past year thanks to well worded arguments from people on this site. Last October I was called a "grabber" by someone on this site, while just last week I was in an argument with my sister arguing against gun control laws.

I'm not a gun owner, I didn't grow up around guns, none of my friends own guns, I've never been hunting or sport shooting, but that doesn't mean I can't be enlightened.

My opinion of firearms owners is the same as that of most people, they come in all shapes and colours. To some it's just a toy, to some it's an infatuation, and to others, it honestly (to me) seems like their guns are a political statement, but I don't assume that about every one of them.

recceguy said:
Who said you were on ignore?

recceguy said:

The ignorant of the subject, that try come off as the experts of that subject argue, ***** and deride and are the ones that always whine after their outed and that none of it is their fault. The ones that start bending the subject until it resembles something that backs a useless point of theirs, even though it's not remotely where we started.

They are trolls. Useless oxygen thieves that suck your brains when you engage with them.
If you come across one, ignore them and, perhaps, they'll go away and let the adults talk.

Maybe I was just making an ass out of u and me, but when I was the only one on my side of the debate, I wasn't sure who else you'd be talking about...

My firearms are primarily "toys"...dangerous adult toys...but for fun.  I enjoy collection and some have an certain emotional value too. 

From a political point of view I would like to see us be a smudge more like the US, for example when it comes to self defense in your home (castle doctrine).  I shouldn't have to worry about being charged if I pull a gun out of the safe to protect my family or investigate a bump in night. 

I would also like to see more common sense and less throat stomping of peaceful firearm owners and I will work toward that through peaceful democratic processes like everyone should.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

The US ATF just changed the definition for wetted Nitrocellulose to a high explosive. This apparently creates significant regulatory hurdles for ammunition manufacturers and may cause the supply to drop and production costs to go up. It's unclear whether this change is a backhanded attempt at punishing the gun industry or just normal everyday bureaucratic fumbling. Even if it's the latter, gun control types may decide that oblique attacks on the industry here and the US are more effective than frontal assaults.   

A few days ago there was a triple murder in the Toronto area.  It was initially reported a crossbow was involved.  Joe Warmington of the Toronto Sun, a fairly rabid anti-firearm type, immediately wrote an article.  It was a Crossbows, what are they, look at how dangerous they are, it's the first reported murder with a crossbow but we should look at banning them!   type article.  Of course some people agreed. We don't need these deadly assassin weapons in our cities. You don't even need a license how irresponsible.

Turns out the woman murdered was strangled and the two men were stabbed to death with the crossbow arrow head (well bolt head to be technical). Funny that so many peoples reaction wasn't why it happened, whats the whole story, but ban crossbows.

Since it was an arrow head maybe anti-gun types can go after all kinds of arrow heads now.

25(1-8-2002)_medium.JPG

Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiinteresting ...
Former public safety minister Steven Blaney issued a secret directive* in the dying days of the Conservative government that opened the door for firearms to be classified according to a gun manufacturer's suggestion, CBC News has learned.

Responding to complaints from firearms advocates and the industry, Blaney's directive gave the RCMP 180 days to evaluate a gun, decide its classification and issue the Firearms Reference Table (FRT) number needed to import that model into Canada.

If that deadline wasn't met, the firearm would automatically be classified according to the manufacturer's suggestion and the FRT number would be issued.

The directive sent to RCMP Commissioner Bob Paulson, personally signed by Blaney, is dated July 30, 2015 — three days before former prime minister Stephen Harper plunged Canada into a general election campaign. It was also just a couple of days after Blaney met with members of the government's Canadian Firearms Advisory Committee, which under the Conservatives was dominated by firearms advocates.

The next day, Blaney issued a news release to announce he had overturned the RCMP's decision to classify the Ceska Zbrojovka CZ-858 rifle and certain Swiss Arms firearms as prohibited firearms — but there was no public announcement of his directive to Paulson.

In fact, Ralph Goodale, the current Liberal minister of public safety, said he only learned of Blaney's directive during one of the briefings he received from officials months after he became minister. He rescinded the directive on June 6, less than a week after he learned of its existence ...
* - Attached for your perusal.

I'd love to hear from those who know more about the "sausage machine" surrounding firearm registration/classification what the story may or may not be leaving out (if it's like most stories).

Attachments

It should have been a public memo, but really this is day to day stuff for government. It was "secret" in order to cover up the failure of the RCMP system to carry out it's assigned tasks in a reasonable time.

Everything will be "prohibited" now, because "2016".

Bone headed move by London Crimestoppers. Pretty big backlash from legal firearm owners too.

Crime-Stoppers1073769.jpg

An Open Letter to Crimestoppers, London-Elgin-Middlesex (from the CCFR)
https://firearmrights.ca/en/an-open-letter-to-crimestoppers-london-elgin-middlesex/

Bullying seems to be an often cited reason for school and workplace shootings.

Ironically Wendy Cukier, a major proponent for gun control, was supposed to become the first female president at the St. Catharines University.  She was also the subject of an external investigation over staff complaints which included bullying and creating a toxic workplace environment and has since "mutually agreed" with the school to not take the president position.

One of her accusers claimed they were frequently “coerced into” working overtime without pay, and spoken to disrespectfully by Cukier, which in some cases caused people to weep in the office.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2016/09/02/bullying-probe-at-ryerson-preceded-cukiers-exit-from-brocks-top-job.html
http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/2016/09/07/brock-faculty-union-files-foi-on-cukier-details

My Sympathometer is pegged - on the left side of the scale.

http://www.therebel.media/bc_rcmp_issue_troubling_tweets_during_latest_round_of_gun_amnesty_efforts

“Even registered firearms pose a risk, to you as the owner and the public. Turn it in to prevent the trace back to you. #bcgunamnesty”.

Basically if you're a legal firearm owner you should turn your guns into the BC police so the guns don't get stolen and used in a crime, which would basically be your fault.

Ref: The Quebec Mass Shooting

Maybe its too soon but I am not hear the howls of anti-gunners yet.

What I am hearing is:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/opinion/ethnic-nationalism-quebec-1.3960340

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/quebec-politics-intolerance-1.3960181

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/quebec-city-mosque-alexandre-bissonnette-profile-1.3959581

People seem to be recognizing the real issues a not inanimate objects (firearms).

From the rumours on Gun Nutz, Cukier has visited the Public Safety ministry last night.  I suspect that there will be no open campaign until the cement is dry with govt.  They will work the halls of govt and stay out of the light, it made them look bad during C42.  There is also the CBC piece on white Christian men being the source of all mass murder in Canada which is troubling since the gun owning democratic is overwhelmingly white.  Other media has been playing up the line of "Gun Nut Hunter" to describe this guy so I suspect the hunters are going to find themselves in the crosshairs more so this time than in the 90s. 

Lightguns said:
From the rumours on Gun Nutz, Cukier has visited the Public Safety ministry last night.  I suspect that there will be no open campaign until the cement is dry with govt.  They will work the halls of govt and stay out of the light, it made them look bad during C42.  There is also the CBC piece on white Christian men being the source of all mass murder in Canada which is troubling since the gun owning democratic is overwhelmingly white.  Other media has been playing up the line of "Gun Nut Hunter" to describe this guy so I suspect the hunters are going to find themselves in the crosshairs more so this time than in the 90s.

I try to avoid CGN when this stuff happens.  Too many speculators and toxic people on that site.

I don't see what this has to do with hunting.  And I don't see how they can punish hunters.  He was a hunter sure, but he was many other things too.  Worked a blood bank, uni student and a chess club guy.  Each of those has as much to do with this as hunting does.

He used a hand gun and some sort of long gun.  If anything I would say handgun owners may be in for some tribulation.

CBC has reported that the shooter used a handgun with a 15 rd capacity.

Anyone know how that is possible? Or did CBC just resort to (US) Google research techniques?

SeaKingTacco said:

Anyone know how that is possible? Or did CBC just resort to (US) Google research techniques?

Illegal mag or miss print

SeaKingTacco said:

Its-lit-The-Facebook-Backwards-Clipazine-Revolver-5.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back