• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

SISIP LTD 2002 - 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
:cdn:

Let me just say this, it's difficult for me to realize that Mr. Harper, Mr. McKay, Mr. Toews and Mr. Thompson all sat on the House National Defence Committee in 2003 and yet 5 years later these 4 men are still viewed as digging their heels in the sand and they have not acted on any motions they put forward to the government of the day as well as now that they make up today's government they still find it necessary to dig their collective hen the sand... and Veterans are still left holding an empty bag with no tangible results, where the majority of Veterans "Suffer in Silence". It has become clear that Veterans are important to these men only on Remembrance Day. Why is it that Veterans have to fight a battle bigger than any battle they have fought once the uniform comes off?

I would like to thank Mr. Dennis Manuge for all his efforts in righting a huge wrong! This man is doing what I am sure many of us wished could be done. He is really sticking his neck out on the line for all us Military & RCMP Veterans. As brother & sisters of a part of society that is unique above all others in our society, we owe Mr. Manuge a huge debt of gratitude for spearheading this effort so that some day none of us need "Suffer in Silence". This effort should serve as a a call to all those of us who were willing to lay our lives on the line in order that our country enjoy the rights and freedoms, that too many in our society take for granted, that we all enjoy today... incomparison to most oher countries. We owe it to all those of our comrades who have payed the ultimate sacrifice for this country. Onward and forward. Mr Manuge, you know you have my full and undivided support to you and this cause. We all owe this to the future of our military personnrel who taking the next wave of people of our society to take where we left us of in as ambassdor, in cludung my Son who has aspiration in fighting for our country

Steve M.

Its not true that civies do not get clawed back from their private insurance company.... All insurance compnay will clawed back VAC pension, CPP, RRQ and all other source of "ncome"

quote author=3rd Horseman link=topic=2483/post-770413#msg770413 date=1224558032]
After reading through the details and heated debate it is important to remember a few things about the issue that always get forgotten or the value they carry in the argument gets diminished with time or lack of undersanding. Points to remember when forming the argument for or against:

1. VAC Pensions are a "Gift of Canada for pain and suffering"....they are not a pension nor are they income that is why they are non taxed.
2. Civies do no get pain and suffering grants clawed back by there insurance company and specifically our insurance company that funds SISIP does not claw back from its civies.
3. Remember this really is  about the wounded not the medically released for normal ills which it has now become.
4. No one told me when I signed up for the disability insurance that I would pay for my entire career but when I became disabled they would never pay me thus they kept all the money I gave them knowing they would never payout if I was injured in combat. Not that this is wrong if they say they dont cover it but when they say they will cover and dont its fraud.
  So in all the arguments for and against remember these little bits.

3rd Horseman 
[/quote]

I just found out about this Lawsuit from my VAC case worker, however I appear to not be entitled to any benefits from this Lawsuit as I was denied a medical pension 3 times, even though my lawyer argued the initial injury/medical complaint occurred during duty at the Winnipeg Floods.  However, I do qualify for SISIP LTD.  Go figger, eh?  All my doctors laugh at the stupid forms I have to fill in each year for SISIP's continuing coverage.

In any case and on the advise of my doctor, I am now on CPP Disability, and guess what?  My military pension and SISIP are both clawing back.  What hurts even more is that because I waited for the outcome of the VAC Disability, I didn't apply for CPP Disability until 2007, and when I did get it, they backdated it to 2005, so gave me a lump sum of money.  As it was 4 years after I had retired and without thinking, we used that money to pay all of our debts off and thought we might finally get ahead.  Wrong move.  Well, I do get that $6k disability amount on my taxes each year...

Again, the Military Pension Plan and SISIP stated that I was grossly overpaid, and started clawing back even more money for me to repay that lump sum from CPP, so now I am receiving even less than I was before I went onto CPP.  My fault for using that lump sum to eliminate my debts, but in any case, it was totally useless to go onto CPP Disability, as in the end, no matter what we do, we will always only receive that 75% wage.  I wouldn't be surprised if they are looking into some way to use that "disability amount" on my taxes against me to claw back yet more!

Again, as both you and many others argue, I too paid into CPP and SISIP for over 23 years, so what is the difference?

I wish you luck on your class-action lawsuit.  I am stuck in a perpetual Limbo apparently.

I can't work.  I take Methadone for pain control under a University program and am under continual treatment for depression and anger issues. It would be nice to have "full" payments, but that is just a "pipe dream" for me. 3 of the last 6 years since retirement don't exist in my memory as I was so drugged up that I have no accurate memory of of my life during that time. And now, I sit and wait for the day I die.  Hell, I'm only 47!

I assume that you have been rejected at the appeal level. If so there is still one more move which VAC does not advertise too much...

Veterans Review and Appeal Board Act
            COMPASSIONATE AWARDS
Application for compassionate award
34. (1) A person who has been refused an award under the Pension Act, or a disability award, a death benefit, a clothing allowance or a detention benefit under Part 3 of the Canadian Forces Members and Veterans Re-establishment and Compensation Act, and who has exhausted all procedures for review and appeal under this Act may apply to the Board for a compassionate award.

Panel
(2) An application for a compassionate award shall be heard, determined and dealt with by a panel consisting of not fewer than three members designated by the Chairperson.

Granting of compassionate award
(3) A panel may grant a compassionate award if it considers the case to be specially meritorious and the applicant is unqualified to receive an award under the Pension Act, or a disability award, a death benefit, a clothing allowance or a detention benefit under Part 3 of the Canadian Forces Members and Veterans Re-establishment and Compensation Act.

Amount
(4) The amount of a compassionate award shall be any sum that the panel may fix, but may not exceed the amount to which the applicant would have been entitled if the applicant’s claim under the Pension Act or the Canadian Forces Members and Veterans Re-establishment and Compensation Act had been upheld.

Review by Minister
(5) The Minister may from time to time vary the amount of a compassionate award that is subject to being varied in accordance with the applicant’s dependent condition.

Adjustment
(6) The amount of a compassionate award shall be adjusted at the same times and by the same percentage as the basic pension is adjusted under subsection 75(1) of the Pension Act.

Death of recipient
(6.1) On the death of a person to whom a compassionate award has been granted, the Pension Act applies in respect of a survivor or surviving child of that person in the same manner as it would apply if the compassionate award had been an award within the meaning of that Act.

Meaning of “survivor” and “child”
(6.2) In subsection (6.1), “survivor” and “child” have the same meaning as in the Pension Act.

Reconsideration of decisions
(7) The Board may, on its own motion, reconsider a decision made by it under this section and may either confirm the decision or amend or rescind the decision if it determines that an error was made with respect to any finding of fact or the interpretation of any law, or may do so on application if new evidence is presented to the Board.

Definition of “compassionate award”
(8) In this section, “compassionate award” means a compassionate pension, allowance or supplementary award.

1995, c. 18, s. 34; 2000, c. 34, s. 67; 2005, c. 21, s. 113.

That's great!  I'll mention that to my VAC case worker and ask what she thinks.

However, at this time, it is all moot as I'm sure my CF Pension and SISIP would be reduced yet/even more IF I ever did get this compassionate award.  I doubt that they would "back-date" it as well, so it won't do me any good in any case unless the law-suit wins and changes are made.

However, much appreciated for the heads-up!

VVV

Canadian Forces vets return medals in protest
By PETER ZIMONJIC, National Bureau , Sun Media 2nd June 2009
Article Link

OTTAWA — In an act of protest, two Canadian Forces veterans are returning their service medals to raise awareness about what they say are unfair deductions to veterans’ long-term disability pensions.

Dennis Manuge of Dartmouth, N.S., and Robin Brentnall of Gambo, N.L., sent their medals to Gov. Gen. Michaelle Jean this week. They hope that as commander-in-chief of the Canadian Forces, Jean will take up their cause.

“I want the government to end the clawback [of pensions] and reimburse everyone who has had that clawback apply to them,” said Manuge. “There’s absolutely no reason for the government not to act right now.”

Manuge, a former military mechanic, was medically released from the Canadian Forces in 2003 after nearly ten years of service. He injured his back after falling off an armoured vehicle.

Under the military insurance plan, injured veterans are entitled to a long-term disability pension that is a percentage of their former salary. On top of that, veterans also receive a veteran’s pension.

The problem, says Manuge, is the plan treats the veteran’s pension as income and deducts the monthly payment from the long-term disability pension.

Manuge says the clawback is reducing the income of disabled veterans by as much as $2,000 per month.

He has filed a lawsuit against the federal government seeking the $10,000 he says was unfairly taken from him for the two years he was on long-term disability.

A spokeswoman for Jean said when the medals are received they will be kept in a vault. Should either Manuge or Brentnall want the medals back in the future, they will be returned.
end

I'd like to see some more facts.

Persons with Disabilities Online

Veterans Disability Pension Program

A disability pension from Veterans Affairs Canada (VAC) is a tax-free payment to veterans with permanent disabilities resulting from injuries or diseases. They must be wartime veterans, current or former members of the Canadian Forces (Regular or Reserves), former members of the Merchant Navy or civilians who served in close support of the Canadian Forces during wartime. You also may qualify for a pension if you are the surviving spouse, common-law partner or dependent child of a deceased VAC disability pensioner.

This says that a VAC pension is tax-free, so perhaps they are not receiving a VAC pension.

SISIP Long Term Disability (LTD)
Insurance Plan for the Regular Force, the Reserve Force on Class C Service, and Primary Reserve Force on Class A & B Service

Frequently Asked Questions:

Are the LTD benefits taxable?

Yes. However, during the first year you become a claimant all the LTD premiums paid during your military career can be deducted for tax purposes.

This could be what they are talking about.

I thought the issue was the clawback...

GAP said:
I thought the issue was the clawback...

Gap,

You are Correct.  Dennis Manuge is the Gent that initiated the Class action suit We have a thread here

Michael,

You are correct, which is why he is fighting this.  Only thing is SISIP has been given the go ahead by the Treasury board and DND to claim that VAC pensions are income.  Hence the Class action suit.  A criminal action, that has been allowed by our own government bodies.

dileas

tess

Only thing is SISIP has been given the go ahead by the Treasury board and DND to claim that VAC pensions are income

Could be the first step to regulating all VAC disability settlements as taxable.

Rifleman62 said:
Could be the first step to regulating all VAC disability settlements as taxable.

I know this dates back to 1994, so it is not something new.

I sure hope it does not become taxable, otherwise that will be the final nail in the coffin with my faith in the Government's care of us Veterans.

dileas

tess

I believe the whole point of the lawsuit, is that veterans are the ONLY group of people who receive pensions and medical pensions that have this clawback by the government.

No other agency or corporation in Canada has such a barbaric rule, and trust me, if there was a union interested in taking up our case, or if the Treasury board tried this tactic with any unionized group, the country would come to a screeching halt as all unions would "stand in solidarity" until this clawback crap stopped.

I am also a veteran who falls under this category of a lesser pension due to this clawback clause.  I cannot work - I am on such a drug regimen that I wouldn't even hire me never mind my disability!  I was told by the hospital staff and doctors to apply for CPP Disability for income tax reasons, so I did.  I was quickly granted that pension, and they even gave me a 3-year back-payment when they sent the approval letter. We used that money (a substantial amount) to pay off ALL our debts, then Revenue Canada came and clawed all that money back as it falls under this same clause.  Except, we no longer had the money to pay back. We applied it all to our debts!

So now, they have cut both my pension Cheque payment and my SISIP top-up payments until that money is recovered by CF Pension board and SISIP.  I've lost almost $1,000 a month because of this.  CPP Disabilities has nothing to do with this, they just keep on giving my my monthly cheque, but the net effect is that instead of me receiving two cheques each month for a set amount, I now receive 3 cheques for LESS than I used to get. Most months, we have to dig into our Line-of-Credit accoount to make ends meet. We are hoping that by the time we maxed out, we will have paid back this clawback money. With this depression, our line-of-credit limits have been lowered too!

So now my wife - a cancer survivor who still is battling the after-effects - is pretty much forced to continue working to make ends meet.  If there was no claw-back, she would not have to continue working thru her pain and neuropathy for a measly $14/hr.  No pension plan at her workplace... As it is, she can only work 3 or 4 days a week as the pain gets too much to handle for her.

When she was fighting her cancer, EI only gave her 12 weeks of payments, even though she could not work for the better part of a year! If she would have been pregnant, she could have drawn EI for well over a year, but because she only got "cancer", EI only gave her 12 weeks coverage. This is where our Line of Credit took the largest hit as some of the drugs for her treatments were NOT covered by any insurance plan - SISIP, Alberta Health, Blue Cross, VAC, NOTHING!  And these drugs are hideously expensive for just ONE dose!  She had to take 6!

This Treasury Board BS has got to end somewhere...and I hope to hell these lads win their case - for all of us!

Where do I mail in my medal? :salute:

All insurance company have this clawback rule...Even worst, with Manulife, if you get a lump sum, they will deduct it. Ex Lump sum 10,000 and you get 1000 from Manulife, then they will not pay you for 10 months.

211->215 said:
No other agency or corporation in Canada has such a barbaric rule, and trust me, if there was a union interested in taking up our case, or if the Treasury board tried this tactic with any unionized group, the country would come to a screeching halt as all unions would "stand in solidarity" until this clawback crap stopped.

Hi guys and gals
Been a while.

Hope the entire letter to GG helps clarify things for those who do not understand. I hope this finds everyone doing well. Government does not tax VAC disability monies, but SISIP Maulife and the Earnings Loss Benefit under the New Charter do consider it as income. That is the isssue.
Recent decision from Ontario Social Benefits Tribunal and an upheld appeal against city of Toronto clearly sides with us saying VAC disability monies can not and will not be considered as income.Send me an e-mail at dmanuge@eastlink.ca and I will forward those decisions to anyone interested.
Stay well
Dennis

letter to GG below;

June 1, 2009

Her Excellency the Right Honourable Michaëlle Jean, C.C., C.M.M., C.O.M., C.D. Governor General of Canada

Rideau Hall

1 Sussex Drive
Ottawa, Ontario
K1A 0A1

Dear Your Excellency the Right Honourable Michaëlle Jean, C.C., C.M.M., C.O.M., C.D. Governor General of Canada

SUBJECT: RENOUNCEATION OF MILITARY MEDALS DUE TO THE CONTINUED LACK OF ACTION BY THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT TOWARDS DISABLED VETERANS OF THE CANADIAN FORCES & RCMP

My name is Dennis Manuge. I am a disabled veteran of the Canadian Forces and also the representative plaintiff for, DENNIS MANUGE v. HER MAJESTY THE QUEEN and the lone plaintiff for, DENNIS MANUGE v. AGC. These legal actions are a last resort to recover almost $500 million that has been illegally stolen (clawed back) by the federal government and the Department of National Defence from an estimated 6500 disabled veterans like myself. The case is known in media and political circles as the SISIP Clawback.

The Class Action:

The Class Action was initiated in March of 2007 on behalf Dennis Manuge and all other disabled veterans who’s SISIP Long Term Disability Benefits are reduced by the amount of the monthly VAC Disability Pension they receive under the Pension Act.

On May 20, 2008, the Federal Court of Canada certified the claim as a Class Action and defined the Class as follows:

All former members of the Canadian Forces whose long term disability benefits under the SISIP policy number 901102 were reduced by the amount of their VAC disability benefits received pursuant to the Pension Act from April 17, 1985 to date.

The effect of the certification of this claim cannot be understated. Upon certification, the claim changed from one individual pursuing litigation against the Government of Canada alone to in excess of 6500 disabled veterans pursuing the Government of Canada for their collective losses.

You should know that the government has already spoken and voted to end this practice in parliament on November 7, 2006. The vote in the house to support Mr. Peter Stoffer’s private bill was 154 yeas to 111 nays. No action by the government.

I, along with another disabled Veteran, my lawyer, and the Royal Canadian Legion Command, addressed the Senate Sub-Committee on Veterans Affairs on May 7, 2008. Subsequently, that committee released a report on June 18th, 2009, titled, Report on Reductions of Services Income Security Insurance Plan Long Term Disability Benefits. Below is an excerpt from their report;

FINDINGS

This is an exceedingly complex issue, but the Subcommittee worked hard to maintain a focus on the central question as to whether the current method of reducing veterans’ SISIP LTD benefits was fair.  We have concluded it is not.

The DND and CF Ombudsman’s Special Report of October 2003, presents an in-depth study of this issue and we are pleased to note that it comes to the same conclusion as we have.  It too judges the SISIP LTD reductions to be unfair.([7])  In fact, all witnesses who appeared before us, with the exception of witnesses from the Department of National Defence (DND), felt the reductions were indeed unfair.

The Ombudsman’s report delivered five recommendations, three of which have been implemented.  Regrettably, DND has chosen not to move ahead with the two principal recommendations that call for an immediate end to SISIP LTD reductions and the reimbursement of Veterans who were subject to such reductions since 2000.

During our study of this issue DND was asked to provide two items of background information.  First, they were asked for the average SISIP LTD payment for the past fiscal year.  Second, they were asked to calculate the cost of reimbursing all Veterans whose SISIP LTD benefits had been reduced, since 1976.  Both requests were made when DND witnesses appeared before us on 30 April 2008.  At the time of publication of this report, DND had not yet replied.

FUTURE ACTION

The Subcommittee is concerned about all the Veterans who, since 1976, have had their SISIP LTD benefits reduced. We will revisit the complex issue of reimbursement later this year, when DND has provided the information requested.

RECOMMENDATION

That the government immediately cease the practice of reducing SISIP LTD benefits awarded to veterans, by the amount received in a Pension Act disability pension.

As mentioned earlier in this letter, your Excellency, our legal action is a last resort. Since the DND Ombudsman’s original report (October 2003) calling for an end to this unfair clawback, we have had nothing but support and understanding towards our cause from everyone except the government of this country. Pat Stogran, the VAC Ombudsman, has overtly supported this cause on his official website as well.

“The SISIP Long Term Disability Plan is administered by the Canadian Forces, and so technically these claw backs fall outside my mandate. However, since there is no doubt in my mind that the National Defence and Canadian Forces Ombudsman has researched this issue with all the thoroughness and rigour that we in the Office would, I have no hesitation at all to echo the Ombudsman’s condemnation of this unfair treatment. Additionally, since Veterans Affairs Canada uses the same calculation formula to determine Earning Loss benefits—a program that guarantees 75 percent of pre-release salary while a Veteran takes part in the Rehabilitation Program—I have exercised my formal obligation to our stakeholders by asking the Department to review the way it calculates the Earning Loss benefits. We intend to track this matter very, very closely.”

(Pat Stogran-VAC Ombudsman)

Here is a list of who has supported an end to this unjust and illegal practice;

Andre Marin, Yves Cote, former DND Ombudsman

Pat Stogran, VAC Ombudsman

Parliament of Canada, vote November 2006

The Royal Canadian Legion Command

The Senate of Canada

McInnes Cooper (Peter Driscoll) my legal representative

Now we are being stalled at every turn in court, and will appear before the supreme court of Canada to argue the de-certification of our action in the federal court of appeals. To what end? We will win eventually. The government needs to do the right thing now. The issue some say is complex is not really a complex issue at all. It is about fundamental fairness and doing the right thing on behalf of those of us souls who were willing to “sign a blank cheque made out to the people of Canada for an amount up to and including our lives.”

As the Queen’s Representative for Canada and your “commander in chief” role for our forces I am choosing to write to you in hopes that you will become an outspoken advocate for our cause and the other very serious issues before the courts related to Veterans.

Since the implementation of the New Veterans Charter things have not changed. The government would have us believe that the above practice no longer takes place; however, the same clawback applies when veterans apply for the Earnings Loss Benefit. (See http://www.ombudsman-veterans.gc.ca/reports-rapports/discussions/090204-discussion-eng.cfm)

In protest towards the government of Canada’s lack of action, please accept my military medals, acquired during my nine and a half years service, as I no longer respect the government of Canada, the bureaucrats who really run things, nor the institution (DND) that presented me with them. I am ashamed of my oath of allegiance to Queen and Country, when so many of us have not had that same allegiance in return. The lies, denials, and lack of action by the government of Canada need to come to light. My medals will accompany this letter.

If you and your office require further information on this issue please contact any or all of the following:

Peter Stoffer, MP Sackville Eastern Shore of NS

Peter Driscoll, Attorney McInnes Cooper, Halifax NS

Pat Stogran, VAC Ombudsman

Sincerely and respectfully

Dennis Manuge

32 Isaac’s Place

RR#2 Site 10A Box 0

Head of Chezzetcook, NS

B0J 1N0

(902) 827-4807

Cell- 499-0656
dmanuge@eastlink.ca
dennis.manuge@mobility.blackberry.net

References

click on Court Number for additional information and 'RE' for Recorded Entry information

Court Number
Style of Cause
Nature of Proceeding
'RE'

T-296-09
DENNIS MANUGE v. AGC
S. 18.1 Application for Judicial Review
RE

click on Court Number for additional information and 'RE' for Recorded Entry information

Court Number
Style of Cause
Nature of Proceeding
'RE'

T-463-07
DENNIS MANUGE v. HER MAJESTY THE QUEEN
Others - Crown (v. Queen) [Actions]

Top court to hear soldier's bid to recover insurance
Updated Thu. Jun. 18 2009 10:34 AM ET The Canadian Press
Article Link

OTTAWA -- A former soldier who returned his military medals in protest to the Governor General will get a chance to argue for his class-action lawsuit in the country's highest court.

The Supreme Court of Canada says it will hear Dennis Manuge's case.

Manuge of Porters Lake, N.S., and a handful of other veterans recently sent their Canadian Forces Peacekeeping Service Medals and NATO Service Medals to Gov. Gen. Michaelle Jean, the commander-in-chief, to protest the treatment of wounded soldiers.

A military mechanic injured at the Canadian Forces base in Petawawa, Ont., Manuge had $10,000 of his disability pension clawed back by the federal government after he left the military.

The military ombudsman investigated his case and declared the clawback "profoundly unfair."

Manuge launched a class-action lawsuit, representing approximately 6,500 injured veterans, but the federal government won an appeal of the decision to certify the lawsuit.

The high court will determine whether the case can proceed.
end

Veterans Rally Against SISIP Clawback

hi all,,
              recieved this from a friend on facebook and thought
you all might be interested,,, best regards

scoty b

Dennis Manuge    December 8 at 12:09pm  Reply
Urgent: Please distribute far and wide!!!

Veterans, Spouses, Family and Friends
http://www.facebook.com/l/90163;www.veteranvoice.info/bulletinboard.html

Veterans Rally Against SISIP Clawback - Jan 2010
By Admin on Wed 02 Dec 2009, 10:15

An idea has been proposed to hold a veterans rally on 21 Jan 2010, timings TBC, outside the Supreme Court of Canada (SCC) bldg, Ottawa, Ont. The SCC will be hearing the SISIP Clawback Appeal. For more info check under VVi Latest News @ http://www.facebook.com/l/90163;www.veteranvoice.info/bulletinboard.html

This is a peaceful veterans rally.

Discussion has just begun on how to carry this out. If you have any ideas and/or you are interested in participating, please contact Dennis or Perry through veteran_rally@veteranvoice.info . All emails will be fwd to the Rally Organizers.

Those that are interested in participating and/or assisting in the planning and coordination of this relatively last-minute event, send an email to veteran_rally@veteranvoice.info and include the following:

First name or nickname
Your Location
Number from group to attend
Email Address
Phone number
See Notice Board below 'Veterans Rally Against SISIP Clawback' for further info and discussion.

VVi Publisher
CSAT Administrator
webmaster@veteranvoice.info

The above information has been sent to you by:

Dennis Manuge, Representative Plaintiff (Manuge Vs Her Majesty The Queen)
792 West Petpeswick Road
Musquodoboit Harbour, NS B0J 2L0

(902) 889-3230
dmanuge@eastlink.ca
--------------------

January 8, 2010

To: Mr. Peter Stoffer, NDP MP- Sackville Eastern Shore

2900 Hwy#2
Fall River, N.S. 
B2T 1W4
Telephone:  902-861-2311

or 1-888-701-5557
Fax: 902-861-4620

Dear Mr. Stoffer

SUBJECT: NEW VETERANS CHARTER AND DENIALS OF APPLICATIONS FOR BENEFITS AND SERVICES

Sir, thank you once again for your tireless efforts on behalf of Canada's veterans and former members of the RCMP. I would like to thank you as well for your continuous and regular updates to me personally. You are truly one of a kind.

In my humble opinion, I believe it is time to take the gloves off and challenge Veterans Affairs Canada directly with two forms of audit.

The auditor general should do a complete review of the departments (VAC) books. This is to see exactly where money is going and if, in fact, there is enough money in the department's budget to ensure, all disabled veterans of the CF and former members of the RCMP, can have access to benefits and services based on need, not based on what is left in a budget.

To parallel this financial audit, an independent medical board should be established to audit all files that have been turned down upon first application for benefits, and a review of the entire amount of files that have been appealed to the VRAB with negative results.

Enough is enough. We owe it to the men and women who serve to ensure that every possible avenue is available for them to receive benefits and services from Veterans Affairs Canada based solely and entirely on their needs. There is more than enough proof to suggest that this is simply not the case. We also know that the introduction of the New Veterans Charter (NVC) is a cost cutting maneuver by the federal government and senior bureaucrats, both with-in the department of Veterans Affairs, and of course at the Treasury Board and PM's office.

The last thing I wish to ask for is; research be established to find out exactly where disabled veterans are spending their "lump sum" payments when approved for these benefits, under the NVC. How many are investing as VAC suggests they do? How many are paying off debt, mortgages, buying vehicles, paying for home repairs etc? How many are using the money to purchase drugs and alcohol to self-medicate? How much of their lump sum payments are left after one year, three years, and five years? Is there any money left? I believe these are fair and pertinent questions based upon the departments criteria for establishing the lump sum benefits as opposed to the monthly pension act payments.

In closing, Mr. Stoffer, I feel I must remind you that these audits need to be set up immediately. They should not be dependant on parliament sitting or being in session. There is no need for committee work to establish this kind of audit.

Personally, I have no issue with going to the local malls and grocery stores and setting up a booth to ask the Canadian Public for money so that we Veterans can hire our own forensic accountants and medical experts. Perhaps a not for profit charity set up for this purpose will help enlighten those Canadians who do not know a family member or a friend who has been injured in the line of duty, only to have VAC's door slammed in their faces or better yet, not answered at all, just denied outright.

Let us find the truth.

Respectfully

Dennis Manuge

792 West Petpeswick Rd

Musquodoboit Harbour, NS B0J 2L0

(902) 889-3230

dmanuge@eastlink.ca

Dear Veteran and/or Veteran Supporter

We would like to thank you for your willingness to participate in a rally/news conference in Ottawa in support of the January 21st Supreme Court hearing on the Unfair Deductions from SISIP.

The response numbers for a possible rally were less than what we hoped for, due likely to the time of year and the winter weather. As such, we shall schedule a news conference to be held indoors in the Parliamentary Press gallery on January 20, 2010.  We shall confirm the exact time of this conference with those attending it.

For the press conference, we ask that you consider telling your personal stories as to how the Unfair Deductions from SISIP have affected you and/or your family. You can be either a veteran or a family of a veteran who has been directly affected by the Unfair Deductions.

We understand these are not easy stories to tell. We also know that nothing will likely change in government until the Canadian public is made aware of how the Unfair Deductions are directly affecting Canada ’s bravest and their courageous families.

This is where your willingness to either formally present or be willing to be interviewed by the media is key to all of us succeeding in informing Canadians about how our government is unfairly treating its veterans and their families.

In order to coordinate a successful press conference, we will need to know your stories beforehand. We will then invite perhaps two or three individuals to formally present at the conference for perhaps one to three minutes for each individual. Those that are not formally presenting will provide an equally valuable service by being willing to be interviewed by media should the news agency request to speak with you.

In both cases (formal presenters and those willing to be interviewed one-on-one), we would hand out your story in a package to be delivered to the media. We can help with the wording if need be.

Please send to us soonest  your personal stories described in 500 words or less to:

veteran_rally@veteranvoice.info

We will respond within a week or hopefully less to let you know how we believe your story will best contribute to a successful press conference. We will then discuss details as to how the schedule will proceed for the press conference on January 20, 2010.

Once again, we truly thank you for taking this brave step. We are all painfully aware that we veterans and our families have all given up far too much. We should not have to go to such measures to have bad veteran policies changed. Unfortunately, this is the reality in Canada and only by working together will we have a greater chance to succeed in making our government respect injured veterans and their families.

If you want to be part of the media conference, please let us know as soon as possible so that we can provide details of the location and time of the conference.  For those submitting personal stories, , we would like to focus upon the hardships incurred by having SISIP deduct VAC pension amounts. Your story is indeed important and for the purposes of the News Conference, we do not want to confuse the media with personal struggles to have disabilities recognized with the personal and family struggles to live on what the government provides.

An example would be:

Hi My name is Joe RCR and I served a tour in Bosnia and a tour in Afghanistan. I was medically released in 2003 as a result of my injuries in Afghanistan. It took more than a year for VAC to award any pension benefits. Meanwhile my lovely wife and kids lived on my reduced salary as I could not find work being disabled. My wife had a difficult time working full time as she had to take care of the kids and me.

We went through difficult times as I watched my kids deal with my disabilities and the stress of not receiving the support we needed to provide shelter and food for my family.  When VAC awarded me my pension, SISIP wanted all the money paid to me by VAC back in one lump sum. We were facing bankruptcy as I was getting little help and I did not know how to manage money very well in the midst of my illness.

I have lost more than $80,000 that SISIP unfairly deducted from me. This could have been used to help save for my kids college education or a help pay down our mortgage or get us out of the low quality housing we live in now.

My symptoms and expecially the financial stress has resulted in me drinking heavily and ignoring my family and friends. As a soldier, I was willing to die for Canada at any part of my career. When I see now how bureaucrats ignore Parliament, Ombudsman's offices and veteran organizations demands to stop the unfair deductions, I wonder was this the type of government I was willing to die for? Why was I willing to die to bring democracy to Afghanistan when our bureaucrats ignore our democracy... when our elected officials let the bureaucrats get away with ignoring democracy?

Our sincerest appreciation

Perry Gray and Sean Bruyea

Under the military insurance plan, injured veterans are entitled to a long-term disability pension that is a percentage of their former salary. On top of that, veterans also receive a veteran’s pension.

The problem, says Manuge, is the plan treats the veteran’s pension as income and deducts the monthly payment from the long-term disability pension.

Ive run into this issue again a couple of times over the last year, primarily in relation to insurance companies and their clients:  the VAC payments arent income, but most insurance companies look at it as a form of income.  What is the current legal description of a monthly VAC payment, one that is short, in laymans terms so it can be easily understand?

I know we have discussed it on one of these threads before, but cannot think of where it was; anyone else have a better memory on this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back