• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Replacing the Subs

Merlin (EH101)would be closer to how we use helicopters, but that's a bigger helo than the Cyclone (about 3 tons?? some MPH person will correct me here). Might not work for current CPF setup but sure would work for both JSS and CSC setup as JSS hangar is gigantic and CSC hangar is designed for Merlin to begin with.

I wonder if some of the submarine requirements can be made with UUV's of some sort, or perhaps should be combined with them. Long endurance near ice UUV could work, but given how ice and iceburgs behave it might be risky materiel wise.
Merlin is about 2000lbs heavier than a Cyclone.

MH60 has less capability then the Cyclone (worse RMP sensors, worse sonar, can't carry a torp and dip and so on). It's also got a lower availability rate then the Cyclone (though I think that has just as much to do with RCAF Technicians and Supply being amazing as it does with the helo).

Of course it has advantages as well (cost, parts, not an orphan class...). Merlin is really the only good comparable out there from where I'm sitting.
MH60 worse availability and worse sensors than Cyclone? Not so sure about that.

Anyway, not sure which idiot started the rumour about MH-60Rs in Canada…

Back