• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

PMJT: The First 100 Days

Status
Not open for further replies.
PuckChaser said:
I make $330 a month taxed, so $247.50 after tax (25%) for UCCB and CCTB. Income Splitting gives me ~$1800 a year. That's $4770 out of my $12,000, or a total of $3,615,000 a year for 500,000 families in my situation. Your Liberal math is off by $1.6B, as was it for the "revenue neutral" middle class tax cut that cost us ~$2B a year.

First of all, the CCTB isn't taxed.  Second.  The UCCB is given to families that make over $150K per year.  Under the new program, they'll get nothing.

jmt18325 said:
It replaces all the current child benefit programs (UCCB, CCTB, and Income Splitting).  It's supposed to be a net increase of about $2B per year.

Just like taxing the upper class is cost neutral. Oh wait.........

jmt18325 said:
First of all, the CCTB isn't taxed.  Second.  The UCCB is given to families that make over $150K per year.  Under the new program, they'll get nothing.

Page 5 of this document: https://www.liberal.ca/files/2015/05/Fairness-for-the-Middle-Class.pdf

People will still get money until they hit $190k under 6, $160k over 6. Its ok though, as with all Liberal promises, its written in sand in a windstorm. We'll be lucky to see any money.

Altair said:
If you do get it I hope you stop complaining and enjoy it .

I like money. Its my money the Liberals are giving back to me, which is a good thing. Its also going to put me near sunshine list territory. What I'm concerned with, is that this attempt to buy votes (Harper was accused of the same thing with income splitting and UCCB boost), in such poor economic times, will massively increase the debtload for decades to come. You're also never going to be able to turn it off, because people are entitled to their entitlements.

I'd be willing to just keep my UCCB and income splitting if it meant fiscal prudence during a downturn in the economy. If that's complaining, you really need to rethink your definition. In fact, I'm already planning on building a deck, upgrading my kitchen, and paying off my debt to give myself a better fiscal outlook in the future. The Liberals might want to learn a lesson from that.

>Trudeau has little choice at the moment but to promote the three-Cs — calm, control and confidence — while all those around him are seemingly running around with their hair on fire.

Amazing what a change of party can do to the press.  My recollection is that the Harper government was subjected to a lot of pressure to "do something" whenever economic stats were trending unfavourably, and when they tried the "3C" talk, they were attacked for it.

So now that we are more or less at the 100 day mark (give or take a few days), I guess I can sum up those 100 days as this:

NOTHING SUBSTANTIVE

Now, it isn't a criticism per se as i was expecting a certain degree of handover issues and getting their bearings and all, however we are living in unstable times.  And by no means do I think that the CPC would managing this any better but the LPC is currently governing.

On the Economy:  This, to me is the real test.  Until we see a budget it will be hard to gauge.

But so far, the only real changes are cosmetic and superficial.  The real test is starting now.  With the next 4 years. 

As far as i am concerned the grace period is now over.

Remius said:
So now that we are more or less at the 100 day mark (give or take a few days), I guess I can sum up those 100 days as this:

NOTHING SUBSTANTIVE

Now, it isn't a criticism per se as i was expecting a certain degree of handover issues and getting their bearings and all, however we are living in unstable times.  And by no means do I think that the CPC would managing this any better but the LPC is currently governing.

On the Economy:  This, to me is the real test.  Until we see a budget it will be hard to gauge.

But so far, the only real changes are cosmetic and superficial.  The real test is starting now.  With the next 4 years. 

As far as i am concerned the grace period is now over.

Sorry, but you're jumping the gun a bit. It's been three month, and a day, since Prime Minister Justin Trudeau won the election but up to and including 3 Nov 15 Stephen Harper remained prime minister. Prime Minister Trudeau was not sworn in, did not take office until 4 Nov 15 ... his 100th day will be on 5 Feb 16.

E.R. Campbell said:
Sorry, but you're jumping the gun a bit. It's been three month, and a day, since Prime Minister Justin Trudeau won the election but up to and including 3 Nov 15 Stephen Harper remained prime minister. Prime Minister Trudeau was not sworn in, did not take office until 4 Nov 15 ... his 100th day will be on 5 Feb 16.

Correct.  I forgot to factor that in.  So in about two weeks then.  I suspect that my opinion will not have changed by then unless something substantial happens.

I wouldn't say nothing substantial will happen, but I think the summary will likely be "they over promised, and under delivered".

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2016/01/20/trudeau-davos-and-7-cauliflower

Trudeau, Davos and $7 cauliflower 

By Mark Bonokoski, Postmedia Network 

First posted:  Wednesday, January 20, 2016 05:06 PM CST  | Updated:  Wednesday, January 20, 2016 05:11 PM CST 

OTTAWA – The lowly cauliflower, which will likely make no appearance on any crudité tray when Prime Minister Justin Trudeau again meets with the super-rich and powerful in Davos today, began trending last week on social media.

In a matter of hours, it became a tangible indicator of just how far the Canadian loonie has fallen, aided and abetted by a barrel of oil that is hovering south of $30.

Suddenly the cauliflower, almost inedible to kids unless slathered in the melted particulates of Cheez Whiz, was experiencing the feeling that comes with star power.

Chances are slim, however, that it will be used as a symbol of our dire fiscal circumstances at the World Economic Forum in Switzerland where the PM, other international leaders and the super elites of business, are more likely dipping into bowls of caviar than pulling a cauliflower floret off a tray of veggies from the Davos equivalent of Loblaws.

This rise to celebrity status began, for historical reference, after Melissa Lantsman, former director of communications for Harper finance minister Joe Oliver, posted on her Facebook page a picture of a display of cauliflower that was selling for $6.99 a head, and then wrote, “Ludicrous. This is the price of cauliflower in Justin Trudeau’s Canada.”

This, naturally, did not go unnoticed by the media types who mine Facebook and Twitter for such nuggets.

The very next day, in fact, the National Post’s John Ivison led off his column thusly, “Justin Trudeau pronounced himself ‘tremendously optimistic’ about the Canadian economy.

“(But),” added Ivison, “he obviously hasn’t paid $7 for a bloody cauliflower in recent days.”

This, of course, is entirely relatable to the average Canadian. One cannot easily wrap the mind around $300 billion provincial debts, or the running of multi-billion dollar federal deficits, but the average Canadian can relate, for example, to the squandering of $16 for a glass of orange juice that one-time Conservative cabinet minister Bev Oda once audaciously billed to taxpayers.

Or the gall of Senator Nancy Ruth, born of privilege, publicly admitting her unwillingness to put up with the breakfast fare of “ice-cold Camembert and broken crackers” served to her on taxpayer-paid flights.

Yes, it is these small things that are easily understood by the average Canadian, like a shoelace snapping with no time left, as so brilliantly put by beat poet Charles Bukowski.

Or the $7 cauliflower that Melissa Lantsman posted on her Facebook page.

As symbolism goes, it was tough to beat, which is why it was snapped by columnists and cartoonists alike to illustrate how the 68-cent loonie is driving up the price of any and all imported food to the point that it is, well, “ludicrous.”

Few things, after all, are more basic than a cauliflower, a baseborn vegetable which was selling for $1.99 only three months ago.

Damn you, Justin Trudeau!

What is needed, of course, but what we are not getting, is an economic single-mindedness coming out of this new Liberal government, complete with the hands-on involvement of an all-party finance committee and the accelerated delivery of Finance Minister Bill Morneau’s first budget.

Nothing will come out of more global gallivanting, or from the luxury of Davos, that will assist with the immediacy of a Canada’s economic malaise.

The price of cauliflower speaks to that.

That, and the fact that the actual barrel our oil is sold in costs only slightly less than the oil that’s in it.

I am no fan of the Liberals, but I cannot blame the global price of oil on them or the CPC. There is a limited amount of ability to do anything other than ride it out. Oil will recover somewhat, but it will be a long time before another boom. Hopefully 2 of the 9+ LNG terminals on the west coast get built, that will help the west. Forestry should be doing better, but that is dependent on the US housing market. The question is will the dollar remain low long enough to push manufacturing back up here and will there be enough demand for those products to make such a move worthwhile. 

Sadly, even a .30 dollar sin't going to help Canadian manufacturing, since the Liberals have spent the last decade hollowing out the sector in Ontario with high energy prices, ridiculous regulation and massive tax hikes. Even counting on servicing the oil patch with manufactured goods and services is no longer an option, the Alberta NDP has made it clear their long term goal is to dismantle the "Alberta Advantage" (but before they get all the blame, we also need to remember that after Ralph Klein, the Alberta PC party elected leaders who ran the province as Liberals based on their policy choices).

The only realistic policy choice that has a chance of succeeding is to eliminate regulatory and tax barriers to increased productivity, in order to increase the available pool of wealth. Crony capitalism, running debts to funnel money to your friends and raising taxes on the general population all count as "fail", so far as that is concerned.

But we knew this even before the election, didn't we.....

Michael Den Tandt "takes a breath".

And thanks to Mercedes Stephenson for highlighting this.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/michael-den-tandt-its-not-okay-that-canadas-stepping-back-from-the-war-between-civilization-and-a-program-of-genocide-slavery-and-mass-rape

The "withdraw the CF-18s from combat" decision, which resulted, directly, from a televised quip about how Prime Minister Harper was going to just "whip out our CF-18s and show them how big they are" is coming back to haunt Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, along with what seems, to me, to be a bad case of political 'tine deafness" when it comes to Canadians killed by terrorists.

The media criticised him for the initial taunt back in Oct 14 and it was more critical during the 2015 campaign when Prime Minister Trudeau "doubled down," as I guess he probably had to do, politically, and turned the quip into a promise. Now the media, even the Toronto Star, can smell "blood in the water" and the journalists are circling, like sharks, ready to take a bite out of Prime Minister Trudeau's political credibility.

It's not that the media is anti-Trudeau, it is, mostly, just trying to hold political feet to the fire ... even when the feet belong to a media darling.

The fact is that Prime Minister Trudeau put himself in this pickle and no one is going to help him out.

It may be deeper than that ERC.

Trudeau's fans spent years thumping the Scary Harper tub and arguing that he was needlessly creating fear by presenting the world as a scary place. 

They don't want to believe that. Trudeau, I don't think, wants to believe that.

I think he will do everything in his power to prevent giving any credence to the notion that Harper might have been right.

It is just too scary.

As I have told friends during the holiday season:

A Canadian school teacher has the right to tell his students that there are no monsters under the bed.

And a school teacher that becomes leader of a third party has the right to tell his constituency that there are no monsters under the bed.

But if that leader happens to become Prime Minister of all Canadians and responsible for their safety, he doesn't have the right, after being briefed, to personally continue to believe the fallacy that there are no monsters under the bed, and act accordingly.

Too much is at stake for him to put his personal belief before the safety of the nation.

jmt18325 said:
Despite media sensationalism, you're probably safer than you've ever been.

Oh, you really need to spell this one out for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back