• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

PMJT: The First 100 Days

Status
Not open for further replies.
jmt18325 said:
Despite media sensationalism, you're probably safer than you've ever been.

Are you accessing army.ca via some kind of high powered internet signal booster from another plant?

jmt18325 said:

I'll call bullshit on that one until you convince me otherwise.

jmt18325 said:

He is quite right actually.

Before my retirement from the CF, I had to go to places and do things that were a lot more dangerous than siting here at my computer nowadays ... And you really don't want to know what I did in my youth before the CF - Trust me on that  :nod:

People live longer lives than...well...ever.

The population is larger than...well...ever.

There is less war in the world than at almost point in history (despite ongoing conflicts).

Your chance of being killed by terrorists is smaller than your chance of being hit by lightning. 

Your chance of dying due to disease is steadily decreasing. 

There are certainly challenges - the mentioned terrorism, future outbreaks of disease, zombies, etc.  Still, I stand by my assertion. 

It seems there's even data to back that up:

http://www.pri.org/stories/2014-10-23/world-actually-safer-ever-and-heres-data-prove

Clearly we need to disband the CAF then, no need for us and the police since its so safe.

With respect to the little things, we are probably "safer than ever".

With respect to non-human-induced dinosaur-killing events, we are probably at the same risk as ever.

With respect to human-induced dinosaur-killing events, the risk increases as technology advances.

And as we become ever more dependent on advanced technology and forget how to do basic things with basic tools, we become more fragile.

PuckChaser said:
Clearly we need to disband the CAF then, no need for us and the police since its so safe.

I'm a proponent of spending more on defence, though I'm not of the opinion that another world wide conflict is in the near to medium term.  I believe in being prepared. 

Brad Sallows said:
With respect to the little things, we are probably "safer than ever".

If, by little things, you mean disease, starvation, homicide, and conflict, yes.

One thing I should say - the risk of dying from terrorism is higher than in the past - but is still infinitesimal.

jmt18325 said:
I'm a proponent of spending more on defence, though I'm not of the opinion that another world wide conflict is in the near to medium term.  I believe in being prepared.

We're not going to see a world conflict, the stakes are too high. If you feel so safe, I've got a couple countries you should spend a few days in, with a big Canadian flag on your backpack. There's also 6 Quebecers, and 2 CAF members who would disagree with your assertion, if they were alive to do so.

So far in the "100 days", most of the achievements are essentially PR.

Organizations and assemblies and meetings and whatnot can be divided into the ones where decisions are made, and the ones which are essentially photo-ops.

One of my impressions of Harper is that he could not be bothered to attend most of the useless fora, which is why we didn't see a lot of first ministers meetings, or stellar attendance and involvement at the UN.

But there is a faction in Canada to which appearances really, really matter.  This is their time.

PuckChaser said:
We're not going to see a world conflict, the stakes are too high. If you feel so safe, I've got a couple countries you should spend a few days in, with a big Canadian flag on your backpack. There's also 6 Quebecers, and 2 CAF members who would disagree with your assertion, if they were alive to do so.

Those are anecdotes and are of little value in a conversation like this - the post before mine is right though, this is supposed to be about Trudeau, so I'll desist.

Brad Sallows said:
So far in the "100 days", most of the achievements are essentially PR.

According to Trudeaumetre.ca, he has broken 3 promises and kept 12.  That deals with over 5% of his 4 year agenda.  That's far from the nothing people are making it out to be.

jmt18325 said:
According to Trudeaumetre.ca, he has broken 3 promises and kept 12.  That deals with over 5% of his 4 year agenda.  That's far from the nothing people are making it out to be.

We've gone over that site before, and they list "not using prorogation" as achieved, even though he still has plenty of time to do it. The assumption is he won't, but people assumed his tax cut was revenue neutral too.

PuckChaser said:
We've gone over that site before, and they list "not using prorogation" as achieved, even though he still has plenty of time to do it. The assumption is he won't, but people assumed his tax cut was revenue neutral too.

The justification on the website is sound.  Until he uses it, it's achieved, and will switch to broken if and when that happens.  The same goes for the broken declaration for the F-18 pullout.

jmt18325 said:
The justification on the website is sound.  Until he uses it, it's achieved, and will switch to broken if and when that happens.  The same goes for the broken declaration for the F-18 pullout.

Its sound justification if you want to see him complete more things. Its more appropriate that in that particular case, it be listed as "in progress".

PuckChaser said:
Its sound justification if you want to see him complete more things. Its more appropriate that in that particular case, it be listed as "in progress".

I suppose it's a matter of opinion.  Really, that and the fighter jet promise cancel each other out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back