• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

PMJT: The First 100 Days

Status
Not open for further replies.
jmt18325 said:
I suppose it's a matter of opinion.  Really, that and the fighter jet promise cancel each other out.

Which fighter jet one? The one where they said they would end the "combat" mission in Iraq that's still running 3 months later? Or the one where they said they would not purchase the F-35, but they will not exclude it from the process (meaning we get nothing if they keep that promise if/when it wins)?

PuckChaser said:
Which fighter jet one? The one where they said they would end the "combat" mission in Iraq that's still running 3 months later?

That would be the one.  The promised to end the mission.  They have not at this time.  When they do (provided they don't extend it beyond the end of March) I'd expect that promise to flip.

Ending the combat mission and not renewing it are 2 different things. They led the electorate to believe it would be immediate, and then reassess what else we could do. Instead, they dropped the ball. Those pilots and aircrews could have been home for Christmas had Trudeau really wanted to end it.

PuckChaser said:
Ending the combat mission and not renewing it are 2 different things. They led the electorate to believe it would be immediate, and then reassess what else we could do. Instead, they dropped the ball. Those pilots and aircrews could have been home for Christmas had Trudeau really wanted to end it.

They could have been.  Of course, I'm almost positive that we were asked to stay until the end of our term or until a replacement could be found (Denmark, for example).

jmt18325 said:
Of course, I'm almost positive that we were asked to stay until the end of our term or until a replacement could be found (Denmark, for example).

They had nothing to lose and everything to gain by making a statement to that affect in the media. They didn't, so they likely weren't asked.

PuckChaser said:
They had nothing to lose and everything to gain by making a statement to that affect in the media. They didn't, so they likely weren't asked.

I find it unlikely that we'd still be there, if not for some type of obligation.  They have in fact repeated over and over again that the jets will be removed, 'responsibly', in consultation with our allies.

PuckChaser said:
Which fighter jet one? The one where they said they would end the "combat" mission in Iraq that's still running 3 months later? Or the one where they said they would not purchase the F-35, but they will not exclude it from the process (meaning we get nothing if they keep that promise if/when it wins)?

Despite what the average person thinks, pulling out the CF-18s will not end the 'combat mission'.  It just won't be Canadian fighters and pilots hitting the 'release' switch.

Not that the actual bits and pieces (facts?) matter, rather just the appearance of them.

I realize this was (partially) posted already 1 page ago, or the link to it was.  I thought it was worth posting the entire story.

Article Link

Michael Den Tandt: Why Canada must not step back from the war between civilization and a program of genocide, slavery and mass rape

“Take a breath,” said the guy on Twitter, in answer to something I wrote about the logical vacuum at the heart of the Liberal government’s Iraq policy. Apparently Canada’s stepping delicately back from the war between civilization and an aggressively expansionist program of genocide, slavery and mass rape should not cause undue alarm. It’s all happening so very far away, after all.

But I took the guy’s advice — long enough to remember the time, in the aftermath of the murder of Canadian diplomat Glyn Berry in Kandahar City, that I saw the effect of a mass-casualty suicide bombing up close.

It was a Tuesday in early February, 2006. The attack — which had killed Berry, cost Master Cpl. Paul Franklin his legs and seriously injured Pte. William Salikin and Cpl. Jeffrey Bailey — had occurred three weeks earlier. I had been in Kandahar two weeks, as a correspondent for the other national newspaper, and was very much a newbie. I had intended to spend that afternoon sorting my files and taking a break.

The call from my fixer, Jawed “Jojo” Yazamy — who would be gunned down in downtown Kandahar City in broad daylight, three years later, aged 23 — came late afternoon, with a couple hours of daylight left. A suicide bomber on a motorbike had crashed into the front gate of the police station and blown himself up. There were many dead and injured. Despite the late hour — there was no guarantee we’d be let back inside Kandahar Airfield if we returned after dark — we decided to go. Off we went down Highway One, me and two journalists from CTV, with Jojo at the wheel of his Toyota Land Cruiser, driving expertly and very fast, as he always did. 

The bomber had attacked a crowd of job applicants — teenaged boys mostly, who were seeking work as police officers. If successful they’d have earned about $13 a month, to start. Thirteen were killed in the initial explosion, which was so powerful it knocked the police station’s iron gates off their hinges. The injured had been taken to Kandahar’s Mirwais Hospital.

As we pulled up to the hospital a group of Afghan civilians were carting a big man’s body down the pale concrete steps, which were liberally stained with blood, as though it were an extra-large sack of cement. Rigor had set in and the body, still clothed, was covered in fine white dust. I remember thinking the dead man looked stiff, like Herman Munster, and also wondering if his death might be unrelated to the bombing because he seemed so clean.

We rushed through the front doors into the main lobby, where a tired-looking middle-aged man in a white coat waved us towards a stairwell offhandedly, as though such occurrences were routine, and it were no big deal for Western journalists to barge into his desperately under-equipped hospital as it coped with a mass-casualty bombing. Up we went to the burn ward.

There they lay, three survivors, every inch of their bodies except the whites of their eyes charred black with third-degree burns. They rested on filthy cots, too agonized to make a sound, their arms outstretched as though frozen in place by the burning. I could see they were alive, because they blinked. The smell of their burned flesh filled the room and the hallway outside. Their relatives milled nearby, some weeping, others smoking. We got the details we needed and quickly left.

I could not stop thinking, as we raced back towards KAF, that someone had done this to these boys deliberately — had conceived, planned and executed it with such ferocity and zealotry that they were happy to die themselves in the act. The story I wrote that night was trimmed for length and buried in the next day’s back pages. No Western troops had died, making this attack of secondary news value. Just like, one can’t help but remark, the slaughter of fellow Muslims by the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant.

Of course, ISIL is not the Taliban of a decade ago. As I’ve argued previously, it’s worse. Unlike the Taliban, who were content to massacre their own, ISIL is an exporter. “Caliph” Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi’s claim to legitimacy, within the addled confines of radical Islamist dogma, rests on his holding territory. He will continue exporting death and maiming, it stands to reason, until ISIL is destroyed and its territory taken away.

The current best effort to achieve this, led by dovish U.S. president Barack Obama, is by Western air power in support of local ground troops. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau can struggle, as he did again Wednesday in Davos, to explain why the as-yet-undefined expanded training mission is more within the scope of Canadian capability than flying bombing runs that protect Canadian allies. He can struggle, but he can’t succeed — because the policy makes no sense. Breath taken.

Putting here this little gem of last night from the Bard from the Rock seems appropriate. I thought he was bang-on:

http://www.cbc.ca/player/play/2682364522

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Putting here this little gem of last night from the Bard from the Rock seems appropriate. I thought he was bang-on:

http://www.cbc.ca/player/play/2682364522

Yes.  Rarer than the unicorns.

jmt18325 said:
People live longer lives than...well...ever.

The population is larger than...well...ever.

There is less war in the world than at almost point in history (despite ongoing conflicts).

Your chance of being killed by terrorists is smaller than your chance of being hit by lightning. 

Your chance of dying due to disease is steadily decreasing. 

There are certainly challenges - the mentioned terrorism, future outbreaks of disease, zombies, etc.  Still, I stand by my assertion.

Yep, true.  I guess we should all sit back and let sh!t happen. 

PuckChaser said:

Well had the pilots declared themselves refugees, they be back home by now

Colin P said:
Well had the pilots declared themselves refugees, they be back home by now

Actually, 40% of them would be.  ;)

jmt18325 said:
According to Trudeaumetre.ca, he has broken 3 promises and kept 12.  That deals with over 5% of his 4 year agenda.  That's far from the nothing people are making it out to be.

Most of those things are low hanging fruit.

To be fair,  I am not saying that he has done nothing.  Just nothing of real substance yet.  And also to be fair, I don't expect it of them in their first 100 days. The real test comes with the budget and crafting real legislation.  The Right To Die Legislation will likely be the first real substantive change they make.  how they craft that legislation will be important as it will affect our social fabric immensly and for generations to come.

I also don't think they've done anything terribly wrong yet either.   

Remius said:
To be fair,  I am not saying that he has done nothing.  Just nothing of real substance yet.  And also to be fair, I don't expect it of them in their first 100 days. The real test comes with the budget and crafting real legislation.  The Right To Die Legislation will likely be the first real substantive change they make.  how they craft that legislation will be important as it will affect our social fabric immensely and for generations to come.
That there's nothing substantial happening yet is in some ways encouraging - between the differences in style of governance, rather a lot of novice ministers, and plenty of "leftover" substantial issues, I'd be more worried if, within the first few months, anything but the most time-sensitive issues were addressed.
Remius said:
I also don't think they've done anything terribly wrong yet either. 
Agreed.

Well.....I find it rather odd that he is preaching "Gender Equality" at Davos, yet has been ignoring it at home in Canada everytime he does photo ops in mosques. 

George Wallace said:
Well.....I find it rather odd that he is preaching "Gender Equality" at Davos, yet has been ignoring it at home in Canada everytime he does photo ops in mosques. 

.....or with the female Catholic Priests.  No, wait......

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/burkina-faso-relative-trudeau-1.3414819

Justin Trudeau phone call prompts husband of Burkina Faso victim to hang up
Husband of Maude Carrier says Quebec premier Couillard handled situation better

This is what my Scrabble app threw up this afternoon.  Should I take this as a message from above/beyond/below?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back