• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Name This Photo!!! - The AFV Recognition Thread

It is a Hungarian Toldi II tank, based on a Swedish design and incorportaed into the Wehrmacht.  They were only useful in the aufklarung (recon) or schlepper (carrier) role.

Feldgendarme said:
It is a Hungarian Toldi II tank, based on a Swedish design and incorportaed into the Wehrmacht. . . .

I don't think it's a Toldi.  Comparing the running gear of the current vehicle under challenge with that of the Toldi (some photos found here) there are a number of differences, particularly the number of return rollers (2 on the Toldi and 3 on this vehicle) and the 'suspension' arms outside of the road wheels.

It's not a Toldi II tank.

I have given a pretty big clue, actually.

vG

Some observations:

1. It appears to have two vision ports, which seems odd.
2. I concur thait is an MG-34 (panzer) coaxial.
3. If it has been Germanized I would expect to see a Notek light.

Not Czech I think, the PZ35t had a suspension similar to Italian tanks made ud of very small roadwheels. The 2 vision ports may be a result of it's intended role which would likely be armed recce. I know I have seen similar suspnsion elsewhere, but I can't remember where.

ironduke57 said:
Skoda recon tank prototype T 15

Regards,
ironduke57

That's correct!

Here's some more info:
Panzerkampfwagen Skoda T-15

In the late 1941 the German army was well aware that his standar reconnaissance armored cars and half tracks were no longer competitive in the Battlefield. That fact was particulary true in the Eastern Front place in wich they were exposed to a large quantity of artillery, mines and antitank rifles.

In order to adquire a more capable vehicle the Waffeamt issued a request for a fully tracked recce panzer wich should be capable to reach 40 km/h in cross country and to be armed with at list a 20 mm automatic gun and a MG.

The Skoda steel works, famous czech factory wich also made artillery and tanks, send his own proposal to germany. The projekt was admited and two prototipes manufactured.

The T-15 was roughly similar to the Pz 38 (t) however it was constructed in a more rational manner. It used a completely rolled homogeneus armor wich was put togheter by electric welding. That was a serious improve about the earlier riveted armor, not only because made production faster and stronger assembly but also because it increase the security to the crew when the armor was hit.

The armament was comprised of a Kwk 38 (t) (Skoda A7) of 37 mm and 48 calibers in lenght, mounted coaxially a MG 34 panzerlauf was installed. The tank carried 80 rounds for his main gun and 2450 shots of armor piercing 7,92mm bullets for the machinegun.

A Praga V-8 liquid cooled petrol engine deliver 225 hp and with this the 10,7 tons tank could reach 53 km/h max. speed. The overall lenght was 4,9 metres. The armor was formed by 30 mmplates in the front, 25 mm sides and 20 mm rear.

The two T-15 protos were delivered to the Kummersdorf test facilities in may 1942, the vehicle was considered good but the Daimler VK 1303 had better radio equipment and cross country abilities so T-15 was not put in production.

Your turn Ironduke.

vG

6634376139363466.jpg

>:D

Regards,
ironduke57

I think that it is a Brit MARKSMAN turret, but I have no idea what chassis it's on. Nice large pic though.

tango22a

The turret has a vague likeness to a chunese PGZ88 twin 37mm turret (but isn't).

The chassis looks like some modern remodeling of a soviet or soviet derived spg chassis, no return rollers and all, but I can't pinpoint it.

Some prototype for the PGZ88 or a later development of it?

vG

Back