• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Name This Photo!!! - The AFV Recognition Thread

Here's a different sort of view of this AFV.  And yes, there is a vehicle in the photo.  It's just "partially" blocked from view by the "terrain".  The parts that are showing should identify it.

And here's a much less moist view of it.  It should be much easier now, but the correct name for this variant please.

According to Jentz it's called Pz.Kpfw.III (Tauch)

Before Seelöwe four Tauch Panzer Abteilungen was formed. Each Abteilung had three light companies each to be equipped with 12 Pz.Kpfw.III(T), 4 Pz.Kpfw.IV(T) and 4 Pz.Kpfw.II(S).

In all 148 Pz.Kpfw.III(T) and 48 Pz.Kpfw.IV(T) was built. They were later consolidated into Panzer Brigade 1, Panzer Regiment 18 & 28.

(Panzertruppen 1, pp. 142)

I have also seen them designated as Tauchfähig on the internets, but I believe Jentz.  ;D

vG

Interesting concept there Blackadder.... The tank being towed - not sure if I would be too crazy about being a crewman on such an MBT.  What happens if you loose your ride ???

You only get to see a part of the tank, otherwise it will probably be to easy:

n691411370_1740292_1540.jpg

vG

geo said:
Interesting concept there Blackadder.... The tank being towed - not sure if I would be too crazy about being a crewman on such an MBT.  What happens if you loose your ride ???

The Tauchpanzer wasn't towed, it drove along on the bottom.  In the "watery" picture the items visible above the surface are snorkels. The "buoy" in the rear was attached to the tank by an 18 metre long flexible hose.

. . . The Tauchpanzer was produced by sealing all openings on the Panzer III using a waterproof compound. The gap between the turret and the hull was closed with an inflatable rubber ring, while rubber sheeting covered the commander’s cupola, the mantlet and the hull machine gun. The engine intakes were blocked with rubber seals, while the exhaust stacks were given non-return valves to prevent water reaching the engine that way. The rubber seals were fitted with explosive charges to allow them to be removed from inside the tank. In case the waterproofing failed the tanks were equipped with pumps.

Air was supplied by an 18m long flexible hose, attacked to a buoy floating on the surface, with a 1.50m air intake stack above the buoy. Maximum operating depth was 15m, and the tank was designed to stay underwater for no more than twenty minutes.

The idea was for the tanks to be taken close to the British coast on specially adapted ships, and then lowered into the sea. They would then drive along the seabed before emerging on the invasion beaches. The design was tested in August 1940, and again in the autumn of the same year, and proved to be a success, but it would never be used against its intended target.

Early in 1941 they were modified again. This time the long hose was replaced by a shorter 3.5m snorkel, to adapt them for river crossings. In June 1941, operating with Panzerregiment 18, they were used to cross the River Bug at the start of Operation Barbarossa. After that they were used as normal tanks.

vG:

MBT-70 prototype, German-American co-operative project.

Cheers,

tango22a

vG said:
You only get to see a part of the tank, otherwise it will probably be to easy:

At this rate, you guys will soon be starting with single track links and the arrangement of back deck grills.    :D

Think they will go with idlers, roadwheels, and drive sprockets next  ;D

Wait until someone posts a shot of tank tracks on a muddy road.

Old Sweat said:
Wait until someone posts a shot of tank tracks on a muddy road.

I'll suggest Grease Nipples.

Any of the old "Muscleheads" who worked on Centurians would know the difference.

Regarding the last 5 post´s-> BTDT (More or less) ;D

Regards,
ironduke57

edit: @recceguy Jostler! :p ;)

I'm sure there's a shot of my old broken quill shaft around here somewhere.  ;D

tango22a said:
MBT-70 prototype, German-American co-operative project.

See how easy Tango guessed it anyway?  ;D

Next time I'll post a whole tank, I just didn't have any ready...

n691411370_1740291_415.jpg

From the Panzer Museum in Munster, Germany.

This US/German design ended up becoming both the Leopard 2 AND the M1 Abrams!

vG

vG:

'Twas a guess , sheer luck only. If you have pix handy please post another!

Tanks,

tango22a

tango22a said:
If you have pix handy please post another!

OK, but I don't have any really difficult ones handy.

This OTOH is a very interesting piece:

n691411370_1745691_9455.jpg

vG

Back