• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

MilCOTS GMC Silverado (Iltis replacement for the PRes)

Probably as good  as the old 5/4 ton, or the old 1 Ton we used to augment our 3/4 ton fleet in the 70s.  I was chasing Leos with mine on Prarie Ram 04, and only got stuck when my diffs dug into the hard, flat centre of a trail the Leos made following a track uphill.  I also "High centred" on SAT 1.

So, two issues.

1. Low centre: solution?  Maybe lift kits and bigger tires.

2. No cargo capacity: solution?  Difficult to say.  This has gone to the LCMM guys to sort out.

Tom

I love the new line vehicles. It took mere moments before we nicknamed ours the "Trawler" or "The Tuna Boat".

Haaving just been informed that the MILCOTs on issue to my unit have over-reached the sacrosanct lease determined milage limit and thus are not available for any further use....

I move that they be re-named  LUMPS....Limited Utility Militarized Pickups...

Seriously though, and consideration of the MILCOT as a vehicle MUST consider the lease requirements and the resulting impact on training...

Sarn' Majah, Why is the CQ driving a Honda civic?

Sorry Sah, the Milcot is over its milage and the LS is down again!

TCBF said:
I just read through the above thread, and as the campaign season is just about upon us, I want you all to do one thing if you sign for a Milverado:   Read the data plate that lists the Curb Weight and the GVW.

The last one I was in had this on the plate: GVW: Front: 2120, Rear: 1610, Total GVW: 3730
                                                             Curb: Front: 1998, Rear:   1403, Total Curb: 3401

The difference between GVW and   Curb is the capacity, which is in this case, 329kg.

As a comparison, my 1993 Honda Civic has a capacity of 395 kg, or 850 pounds.

So, if you load it up with a dual Ticks, four soldiers, rifles, webbing, rucks, kitbags, cots, a tent, the usual tools, and then some "cargo"...   you just might sail through a stop sign and murder somebody.

With a dual Ticks, EIS tools, Tent/stove/lantern, me/helmet/binos/ear defenders/jacket, but NO: webbing, ruck or other kit or Pax, I weighed a Milverado on the Hwy 14 scales 2 miles east of Wainwright.   I was 70 kg under GVW.   If I wanted to carry more, I would have needed my Civic...

Do NOT excede the GVW!

Tom

Can anyone either confirm or deny this information? As it seems to be ridiculously low, but I don't know the specs myself... that being said, if they're true, the trucks are constantly over-loaded...

Just for comparison, I looked up at the specs on the Chev 1500 (1500, not the 1500HD), the GVWR is 7000lbs (3181 kgs), but the payload is listed as 2040lbs (927 kgs)...

Now, I freely admit I don't understand vehicles, and I'm apt to be confused, but still, if somone could explain, or clarify, I'd appreciate it.

"I move that they be re-named  LUMPS....Limited Utility Militarized Pickups..."

HA!  Good line, Steel Badger!

Seeing as how CMTC will put a hundred or so O/C MILverados on BTE 05, I think I will STEAL your line and disseminate it copiously, if I may?

Silverado 2500 HD.  But, add a 24v sys with two more honkin' batteries, HD bumper, topper, rifle rack, mil lighting sys, HD bumper, dual commo instal, skid plates...

Now see where that cargo capacity went?

I knew it was based on a heavier truck then the 1500, but I figured I'd go with the lightest truck just for a conservative comparison...

Still, the GVWR on a Chevy 2500HD is 9200lbs (4182 kgs) with a max pay-load of 4023 lbs (1829 kgs).

While certainly the add-on packages are heavy, it still blows my mind that they would weigh 1500 kgs. If you're right, it means the trucks are regularly over-loaded.

The data plate on my MILCOTS said GVWR 3730.  Where did you get your data?

It's the weight rating off the civillian Chev 2500 HD, from the chev website...

Which is why I'm not arguing with your weight rating, just questioning the data plate itself (I don't have access to a milcot to check it myself, and probably won't for a few months :) ).

If it's a a a mil-cots purchase, then it would stand to reason that it should have the same ratings as the cots version. Which is why I'm saying it seems odd.

Hmmmmnnnnn....

I brought this up last fall.  During SAT 2, I read the data plate.  I then started to add up the weights of all of the Observer/Controller gear (CUBIC had it in their handbbok) and I started to think: WTF?

So I brought this up at a CMTC briefing before Christmas and was directed to weigh the sucker and get back to the CMTC Log O.  Which I did.  We are waiting for LCMM to get back to us.

Best case scenario:  LCMM says 'wrong data plate'.

Worst case scenario... We bought a 3730kg portable radio.

Steel Badger said:
Haaving just been informed that the MILCOTs on issue to my unit have over-reached the sacrosanct lease determined milage limit and thus are not available for any further use....

I move that they be re-named   LUMPS....Limited Utility Militarized Pickups...

Seriously though, and consideration of the MILCOT as a vehicle MUST consider the lease requirements and the resulting impact on training...

Sarn' Majah, Why is the CQ driving a Honda civic?

Sorry Sah, the Milcot is over its milage and the LS is down again!

What makes you think they are leased??? The milage restriction was put on the veh by command because they want to try and make them last 10 years...

man there was nothing like that with the cucv's  and  5/4 tons  whats it all coming to when the mileage gets resricted  on a mil veh ?

GVWR is 4173 kg.  As per the Data summary, and the decal applied low on the driver's door end.  Curb Weight is 3401 kg.

Sorry to stir the pot and leave it to simmer...

I will check the sit out and report back

Cheers

well Apparently their are no mileage restrictions and the vehicle is not a lease but is owned outright by DND.

TCBF Pm'ed these details earlier today and I just thought I'd share.

Cheers
  Josh

Anyone want any mods to the Milverado - let me know.

Tom

Kev's ideal MILCOT.
Ford entry for the COMBATT (Comercially Based Tactical Truck)

arwsorv34.jpg

arwf3501.jpg

arwf3503.jpg

Why do I get the feeling that the technicals in Africa were not that far off? Take truck, mount weapons, instant firepower...

Back