• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

MilCOTS GMC Silverado (Iltis replacement for the PRes)

onecat

Inactive
Reaction score
Okay maybe this has been talked about in earlier posts, but I was thinking about it on the way home today, as I saw an old GMC pick-up still painted in old CF green and black camo.

Why did the CF stop using pick-up trucks in the 80‘? Did they work well then and what were they used for?

The venerable 5/4 and the (mostly reserve) CUCV. Initially purchased as a short term interim vehicle and found it‘s way into many hearts, common lexicons and made the GMC/Chev family proud to have produced a vehicle that proved itself.

Was never purchased as a true SMP vehicle.

I‘m pretty sure that the bulk of the old CUCV‘s were disposed of in 95‘, well, that‘s the last time that I drove one. Then we hade to do the conversion to that piece of crap LSVW. I swear that those things have set a rusting out record, pure JUNK!!

the reg force is getting g-wagons, an the reserves are getting subarbans

are the subarbans supposed to replace the Iltis?

how did DND decide to give us surbarbans, seems kinda strange to give us a civvie vehicle instead of a military one

I dont know much on this but

what do you think of it

The MILCOTS (or what GM Defense calls COMBATT), will replce the Iltis‘ in service with the reserves. They‘ll all be here by December of this year.

The COMBATT is a militarized version of a Silverado (I think). I did some information gathering on the MILCOTS for my website and here‘s what I got about the program:

LUVW (MILCOTS)
In late 2002, a contract was signed with General Motors Defence for the acquisition of 861 militarized GMC Silverado utility vehicles primarily for the Reserves. The Military Commercial of the Shelf (MILCOTS) will begin to enter service with the Canadian Forces starting in June 2003 with the final vehicle entering service in December 2003.

The MILCOTS is not intended for deployment over seas, however some military systems like the IRIS communications system is being installed. The MILCOTS is one of two vehicles intended to replace the aging ILTIS fleet. Of the 861 MILCOTS being acquired, 801 will be the basic variant, with 142 of these being kitted for the military police. The remaining 60 will be equipped as a cable-layer variant.

The benefits of this off-the-shelf system is that it comes with a five year warranty that can be supported by any local GM dealer.
As long as they don‘t go outside of Canada, the MILCOTS should serve the CF well. The link to GM Defense‘s COMBATT information is http://www.gm-defense.com/products.asp?ProductID=7

anyone have any insight on the new replacement for the iltis? i hear conversion courses are ongoing.

From a fellow member of the Regiment who works at Customs.

Gentlemen,
Today at work I had the opportunity to exam a shipment of the
Milverado‘s, we may or not get. The driver stated they are eventually being
delivered to London. They don‘t look to bad, they are painted "army green",
inside they have 2 fabric bucket seats in the front (no radio/cd player),
no A/C, they have the regular production lights, but also an "add on" light
switch for blackout, not the NATO standard. There are racks for rifles in
the centre to hold 4 rifles. The rear seat has 2 fold up seats, facing
forward, does not look comfortable for them, with the radio tray in the
centre. There is a cab on the back with a cage and gate, I am not sure if it
is lockable, but can be made to be so with some screws and a latch.
It will be a comfortable highway ride, but not tactical at all.

It sounds like it might be a better replacement for the LSVW than the Iltis. The difference in size and configuration seems to contradict the role that the Iltis was designed for.

Yeah, but can you sleep in the bucket seats? I‘ve had far too many stiff necks from trying to stretch out in the front seat of an LSVW, they just weren‘t made to rack out in! :mad:

Hey;
Anyone know about those new mercedes made vehicles that are suppose to replace the Iltis. Just some info on those would be helpful. :soldier:

Well, I‘ve figured out why they decided to buy us the silverado...

It just took me about 20 minutes to explain to my father (And I should note, not a civilian, but a former NCO) why buying the Silverado was a bad idea.

He said several times "Well, all we ever had was pick-ups anyway" "Good North American chev truck, it‘s the best you can buy"

Eventually I realised that he didn‘t understand what exactly the pickup was replacing...

"Well, look, you had pickups, but you never used them for recce did you?"
"No, we had jeeps for that..."
"And you couldn‘t mount a weapon on the pick-up, could you..."
"No, that was what the jeeps were for... heh... GPMG..."
"Yes, exactly. But they‘re not replacing the pickups you had with more pickups. They‘re replacing the replacement for the jeep with pickups."
"I don‘t follow..."
"They‘re buying the silverados as a recce vehicle."
"Well that‘s no good, that‘s a stupid idea..."

In anycase, it took me 20 minutes to explain to him why buying the silverado was a bad idea.

Bare in mind that:

A. He was a senior NCO in the early 80‘s
B. Most of the senior officers in NDHQ were junior officers in the same period...

Most of those in the Puzzle Palace whent there right after getting thier Commision‘s and have never been in the field since or get swan‘s over seas for 30 day‘s to get the Gong!!!
They are the true REMFS!! :mad:
Who are a detriment to all those at the pointy end!

Everyone says that the Hummer is a bad idea...I say "B*&&$#*T to that.

the Hummer could replace three classes of vehicle!

-They could do all the recce stuff.
-All the admin stuff.
-They could double as an MLVW.
-They could double as ADP vehicles.
-they could double as an ambulance. ( by the way when I say "double", I mean that there are modular kits for all of the above configurations!)

So the "expensive" hummer would be bought to replace three other vehs...with all different parts and ...well I‘m sure everyone gets the idea.

So...why in heavens name are we getting the Silverado!!!

Because they guys who make decitions are idiots.. they dont think in the real world.... and they dont think about whats best for the army.. they think about whats best for their career advancement, and what is the most politically correct...

Originally posted by Slim:
[qb] Everyone says that the Hummer is a bad idea...I say "B*&&$#*T to that.

the Hummer could replace three classes of vehicle!

-They could do all the recce stuff.
-All the admin stuff.
-They could double as an MLVW.
-They could double as ADP vehicles.
-they could double as an ambulance. ( by the way when I say "double", I mean that there are modular kits for all of the above configurations!)

So the "expensive" hummer would be bought to replace three other vehs...with all different parts and ...well I‘m sure everyone gets the idea.

So...why in heavens name are we getting the Silverado!!! [/qb]
Yup like the old 3 quad,a bitch to drive but built like a tank,a bitch to drive and was a pig on gas!

The Hummer does take some use to drive because of the high nose and width and it‘s a pig on fuel!!

Are they at least making improvements to it t make it Safer...

Originally posted by GD:
[qb] Are they at least making improvements to it make it Safer... [/qb]
I had a temp liscence from the U.S. Army for a period of several weeks while I was on ex with them. I was able to drive the Hummer and trailer with only 2 days veh training. ( 1 day off road and 1 day on.)
the vehicle was very easy to handle, well designed and had lots of room.
No complaints on the Hummer at all...from one whose driven it!

Slim yes we who time in can adapt.

I personly don‘t like the vehicle !

No over all view when driving.

To me the nose and width make me un comfertable along with the lack of view as a driver!!

I sit to low in the cab!!
Don‘t like it.

Let‘s go back to the European style,light and mobile.

Back in 88,89 I was part of the Op4 against U.S. Marine‘s,Engineer‘s and Infantry in Yakima and we ran circle‘s around them Iltis v‘s Humvee‘s
We skooted right up the ridge‘s as we had a standered trani!Humvee‘s have a automatic trani!!
At the end of the Ex. they all came over to have a look at the Iltis and were amazed at what we were driving!

There is nothing wrong with the Iltis.
I‘ve driven that vehicle in all kind‘s off terain and will gladly drive one again!

It‘s a Recce Vehicle!!!

I like it!!

This is a Engineer‘s point of view. :salute:

Back