• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Justin Trudeau hints at boosting Canada’s military spending

Ever government, of every stripe, has promised Defence that "The Good Times are five years away." Conveniently, it's always after the next election, at which point "Things have changed."

Jam tomorrow.

Ever government, of every stripe, has promised Defence that "The Good Times are five years away." Conveniently, it's always after the next election, at which point "Things have changed."

Charlie Brown Football GIF

And the minister will be changed by then too.

So they’re going to invest in housing on bases?
That wouldn't be a bad thing either. Not enough to address all CAF needs, but still not a bad thing.

And the minister will be changed by then too.

That wouldn't be a bad thing either. Not enough to address all CAF needs, but still not a bad thing.

And so will every serving officer and bureaucrat involved in the files.

Lucy doesn't have to try hard. The institutions turn out proper Charlies for her to play with.

“We have brought forward a plan that’s very much in discussion right now within our government about making significant new investments,” Blair said.

M’kay

“We’re going to do more. But there’s also some context in the doing that more because there is a fiscal situation in Canada that the current government has created with fucktarded spending and irresponsibility with taxpayers money I have to be realistic about.”

There, that’s better…

I swear, if they announce an increase by using the funds they just cut...

We return roughly a billion dollars a year to the treasury, bur they decided to cut PLD to save a whopping $30M? (Last year we returned close to 2 billion, no?)

Housing on bases I would be extremely happy about.

The Navy has the AOPS coming online with the CSC start coming down the pipe fairly soon...

The RCAF is having Christmas already. 16 new Kingfishers, 16 new P-8A, 9 MRTT, and the 88 F-35's, with high end UAV's being sorted out now...

The Army? Are there any projects you guys expect might be announced fairly soon? Maybe an AD project, re Latvia eFP maybe? Replacement of the Carl G with...new and more Carl G's? 🤨

Creative accounting ;)

We return roughly a billion dollars a year to the treasury
That is generally a CAF program failure, albeit some of those monies are allocated for future year programs.

, bur they decided to cut PLD to save a whopping $30M? (Last year we returned close to 2 billion, no?)
PLD wasn’t just ‘decided to be cut’, it was not being implemented correctly as the CAF had exceeded TB rulings for years on it.

Dependent upon what bases, I don’t think a bunch of new homes in Cold Lake, Wainwright or Dundurn will do much, as opposed to Victoria, Vancouver and Halifax.
The Navy has the AOPS coming online with the CSC start coming down the pipe fairly soon...

The RCAF is having Christmas already. 16 new Kingfishers, 16 new P-8A, 9 MRTT, and the 88 F-35's, with high end UAV's being sorted out now...

The Army? Are there any projects you guys expect might be announced fairly soon? Maybe an AD project, re Latvia eFP maybe? Replacement of the Carl G with...new and more Carl G's? 🤨
Army has GBAD but honestly if you see here the priorities

One wonders WTF the Army is actually doing.

We return roughly a billion dollars a year to the treasury, bur they decided to cut PLD to save a whopping $30M? (Last year we returned close to 2 billion, no?)

The Army is arguably better and equipped with more modern stuff than the RCAF and RCN. Honestly they should stay on the back burner until the other two services can be brought up to speed.

The Army is arguably better and equipped with more modern stuff than the RCAF and RCN. Honestly they should stay on the back burner until the other two services can be brought up to speed.
While I prefer to see the airforce and Navy get up to speed before the army, in that I agree, the army is NOT better equipped at all. If it is I’d love to hear it.

That really depends on what you want an Army to do. The CA is missing major pieces of equipment to be an actual combat component.

The RCN and RCAF have equipment albeit old with no glaring gaps (other than age and serviceable rates). They also have replacements scheduled, and while long overdue, are actually on the horizon.

Sure the city class frigates may snap in half in the Atlantic - but they have missiles and radar, the CF-18’s could fall right out of the sky, but until they do they have missiles and radar, and ground attack precision bomb capability.

The Army doesn’t. It has a bunch of LAV’s, some tanks, and a few howitzers. That doesn’t make an Army.

That really depends on what you want an Army to do. The CA is missing major pieces of equipment to be an actual combat component.

The RCN and RCAF have equipment albeit old with no glaring gaps (other than age and serviceable rates). They also have replacements scheduled, and while long overdue, are actually on the horizon.

Sure the city class frigates may snap in half in the Atlantic - but they have missiles and radar, the CF-18’s could fall right out of the sky, but until they do they have missiles and radar, and ground attack precision bomb capability.

The Army doesn’t. It has a bunch of LAV’s, some tanks, and a few howitzers. That doesn’t make an Army.

What the Army has is all newer than what the other two have.

I think the idea that Russia will move on the Baltic states or Europe has subsided. They've been soundly ground down in Ukraine and don't seem capable of a two front war now. So keep the presence in Latvia sure. But we should be pivoting to the Pacific.

And that Pacific theater probably won't involve the Army. Even the RCN and RCAF will probably only be single ship or small task groups tacked on to allied strike/carrier groups and small numbers of planes seeing involvement.

Last edited:

Oh yeah!? Well 1100+ new C6's and our fancy new pistol say otherwise! 😤

It's been a while since I've been in - what are the major pieces of equipment we're missing to be an actual combat component? (Other than more LAV's, tanks, or artillery tubes?)

(ATGM & GBAD projects not withstanding, ofcourse...)

It's been a while since I've been in - what are the major pieces of equipment we're missing to be an actual combat component? (Other than more LAV's, tanks, or artillery tubes?)

Comms, STANO, ammo, troop lift, drones to name a few.

Logistics vehicles of all types.

Fires.

Communications systems.

Half of the posts on this forum must be about Army deficiencies in equipment.... and then there's the leadership ;)

Do you really want me to go there?

Back