• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Should Canada Stay in the U.N.? (split fm Hamas invaded Israel 2023)

I have always hated the UN since I first heard of it. Consider it a pretty bogus and useless organization overall. But, I think we should remain a part of it just for awareness sake. If we are not there then we do not know what all those low life players are up to and be able to try to influence things the right way. Of course it helps if Canada and it's leaders have some respect in the world.

Regardless, they're hiring!

As I recall from a presentation I saw awhile ago they're always short of civilian employees in the Peacekeeping shop, which would be a great job for retired/ex-military IMHO ;)

Regardless, they're hiring!

As I recall from a presentation I saw awhile ago they're always short of civilian employees in the Peacekeeping shop, which would be a great job for retired/ex-military IMHO ;)

good luck. They have a pro-rating system that favours those other than North American and Western European types.

We won't leave. If Canada leaves the UN, Trudeau would not be eligible for the Secretary General position. No more convening for him.

Are you allowed to wear a hat but no gloves while you restructure the reserves while sitting in a Bombardier-designed but Irving-built mobile gun system parked outside your airforce-booked 5* hotel wearing the latest redesigned uniform complete with a morale patch of a redundant HQ that is commanded by a GOFO up on charges?

Just thought I'd get ahead of the curve on the inevitable thread derails...
You didn't mention which kind of jacket you are wearing.

I don't think we should leave the UN, but I do think that we shouldn't be beholden to the UN. We should also make sure that our people understand that our membership is on a voluntary basis and that the UN is not an international authority that we are bound to.

Who is Walter Dorn and is he worth listening to?

A few off the cuff quibbles with this interview:

The Balkans killed peacekeeping
FRP took out a 1/3 (or more) of the authorized strength of the CAF between 93-97 which Mr Dorn does not mention
The reason why the Global South contributes more troops the Peace support missions is because they are getting paid by the UN in hard cash
The idea that Canada or any nation would go into Gaza at any time is a bonkers idea.

Who is Walter Dorn and is he worth listening to?

A few off the cuff quibbles with this interview:

The Balkans killed peacekeeping
FRP took out a 1/3 (or more) of the authorized strength of the CAF between 93-97 which Mr Dorn does not mention
The reason why the Global South contributes more troops the Peace support missions is because they are getting paid by the UN in hard cash
The idea that Canada or any nation would go into Gaza at any time is a bonkers idea.
He’s a data point.

Per some earlier discussions, “expert at/of…” gets bandied about a lot.

What makes an expert? Is a non-practitioner an expert, or an informed(ish) ‘opininer?’

YMMV, but he less than impressed me in the discussion I had with him personally and in group discussions.

Back