• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ignorance of civvies...

Trooper Hale said:
Aint nothing like a good blank "Yippee" shoot! Especially with a Minimi (C9) or a MAG 58(C6). You just lie there, dig it into your shoulder and enjoy it as much as possible. Theres no pressure to shoot a certain grouping or to pass anything, you just take your position and attack the "enemy", trying to prove that you know your job. Sure you've got to clean the gear and it takes ages but having a good ambush, whether your being "shot" at or your doing the shooting makes up for it in spades. Plus its not like cleaning is the worst chore in the world, you just switch to "auto pilot" and do it like you've done it countless times before.

I mean where else can you have bad guys shooting at you, you doing your job AND with no chance of actually dying? We could discuss it with the Afghans but i'm pretty they'll stick with their live rounds. Blank shooting is usually a blast, its great training and good fun. And anyway, its not as if your not going to clean your weapon anyway!

Hey Hales, we got Rat Rowe up doing ASLAV instruction. Do you know him? Off to the Fd til the 24th on Monday.

Cheers,

Wes

PS - Its great to be back in QLD BTW  ;D

GO!!! said:
Well, is'nt that a great attitude towards training!

Imagine if the whole military ran that way!

Pilot: Simulator? F*** that - I only do real aircraft - let the new guy do it.

Medic: Practice needles/stitches? Forget it - I don't want to get bloody unless I'm in the $hit.

Jumper: Para refreshers? Nope - I'm not getting sweaty without an airplane to jump from!

As the saying goes - a gallon of sweat will save a pint of blood. If you are not taking your opportunities to train (even with the restricted budgets that all units have) then you should just quit. Your age, component and trade soundly preclude you from the "been there done that" demographic, so you saying that you are too lazy to clean a weapon fired with blanks, but live fire is OK, is pretty weak.

The rest of the army fires blanks before live - what makes you different?

I stand correcected... after talking to a much more qualified individual then myself from this site, he explained to me the benefits of even fireing one round of blank on ex.   and they do indeed outwiegh any negatives of cleaning the weapon. I fell into the Lazy CSS stereotype for a moment there.... hopefully it wont happen again.

Cheers

Trooper Hale said:
Aint nothing like a good blank "Yippee" shoot! Especially with a Minimi (C9) or a MAG 58(C6). You just lie there, dig it into your shoulder and enjoy it as much as possible. Theres no pressure to shoot a certain grouping or to pass anything, you just take your position and attack the "enemy", trying to prove that you know your job. Sure you've got to clean the gear and it takes ages but having a good ambush, whether your being "shot" at or your doing the shooting makes up for it in spades. Plus its not like cleaning is the worst chore in the world, you just switch to "auto pilot" and do it like you've done it countless times before.

I mean where else can you have bad guys shooting at you, you doing your job AND with no chance of actually dying? We could discuss it with the Afghans but i'm pretty they'll stick with their live rounds. Blank shooting is usually a blast, its great training and good fun. And anyway, its not as if your not going to clean your weapon anyway!

Once MILES and WES gear gets into wide circulation, even firing blanks will require a bigger dose of fieldcraft and tactical smarts! Train like you intend to fight: if you use the "Lebanon unload" on an FTX what do you think will happen when you have to return fire for real in theater?

Do i know him!?!?!?! Bloody hell I know him! Bloke threatened to charge to on ANZAC day unless i got my hair cut, need less to say he was WAY to pissed to remember the next day and forgot about my little infringement (its short now thats for sure!). Sargeant Rowe is a very professional and inspirational gentleman (For a RI that is!) and i've a lot of respect for the bloke. Dead good bloke! Whats he teaching you? And does he have you marching around the compound like he had some of the boys of drivers course doing? I doubt it! He's fantastic! That little moustache (it grows in only a few days) and that earnest impression make him one of the best instructors i've ever had. Hows the heat in Queensland boss? Petawawa is bloody unreal right now, 26 last few days and today (my first day of work, papers came through!!!) i actually cracked a sweat! I tried to hide it but yeah, beautiful weather here.
Hope the Sarge is treating you well, Rat Rowe is a God to us, keep that in mind, he's old school!
Hales

funny thing I'm a Army cadet here in Oakville Ontario so i was walking to the Lorne Scots armories and some girl was like wheres you guns...wheres your boom boom LOL i said were Army cadets not soldiers

Burgoyne said:
funny thing I'm a Army cadet here in Oakville Ontario so i was walking to the Lorne Scots armories and some girls was like wheres you guns...wheres your boom boom LOL i said were Army cadets not soldiers

See, to me there would have been an obvious answer, but maybe you were best to be polite.  ;D

Corrupting the youth of the nation Zipperhead?  Trying to insure job security?  ;D

Kirkhill said:
Corrupting the youth of the nation Zipperhead?  Trying to insure job security?  ;D

Hey, I just know what my comeback would have been at that age.  Actually, I guess I never really grew out of that.  LOCKER ROOM MENTALITY FOREVER, BABY!!

I've just stopped telling people I'm in the military so their won't be as much ignorance to deal with, from now on all I say is that I'm a farm help.

Futuretrooper said:
I've just stopped telling people I'm in the military so their won't be as much ignorance to deal with, from now on all I say is that I'm a farm help.

Heh, I do that too sometimes.  If I'm in a new place, if someone asks me what I do, I often tell them that I am a trash collector for the City of Windsor.  Actually, it isn't really telling a lie, is it?

i always walk to the Armories and sometimes people just randomly come up and say stuff like this one time i was standing out front of the Armory i was early and some old lady was walking with her husband and asked him why the Army was at the post office ;D and a bunch of other stuff happend that day to all having something to do with cadets and

Futuretrooper said:

I just roll my eyes back into my head, drool a bit, and fall slowly forward. I find this reduces irritating questions by quite a bit.

Cheers

Back