• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How bad has airline travel become in North America?

• Thread starter jollyjacktar
  • Start date
In regard to the Nexus application, do not read too much into it, trust me, I have firsthand knowlege.

As for the Ipad scanned passport, all a traveller has to do is satisfy the examining officer that the person is who they claim to be, that their purpose of trip is legitimate and that they will leave the country after a specific time.  A Birth Certificate and provincial ID was all that was needed for years, and technically all that is needed to this day for travel from US-Canada and back.  Try that at the mexico-US border and good luck.

Just flew allegiant from Belligham to Vegas, I think all their pilots must belong to the air National Guard as they really crank it leaving and coming into the airport. Service is decent and about 1/3-1/2 cheaper than Air Canada. My friend arrived at the Vegas counter with somewhat overweight bags, but since the airline just screwed over the counter clerks, she let it pass without extra billing, sort of a F you to the airline.

The way airlines are now a days, sometimes I feel its better to just save up the money and take the train, went Edmt to Van had a bed and incredible meals included in the ticket price, a nice way to relax :)

Get Nautical said:
The way airlines are now a days, sometimes I feel its better to just save up the money and take the train, went Edmt to Van had a bed and incredible meals included in the ticket price, a nice way to relax :)
Train would be nice, but I only have two arms and legs for the price.  If they were more resonable in price I'd give them a thought.  On a side note, its about time now that the airlines have started putting the full fare price in their ads, shame they had to be pulled into it kicking and screaming.

Flying through Halifax, I have been almost always "been chosen for additional screening".
It's really annoying since it's the only airport that does this to me so often, but I just go through the motions.
This current trip I stunned them by opting for the pat down. They were not ready for that answer.  >:D

Just flew to Ft St John, price was $1100 round trip. The screeners found my swiss army knife, I put it in storage at $7.00 a day, I was not able to get to the desk in time to pick it up on my return, so there it sits, now it's not worth getting it back and will get a new one. At the same time they missed the 2 cannisters of dog spray in my jacket pocket. I wasn't intending to test the system, just forgot to leave them in the truck.

Now for another $100 I could have flown round trip to Malaysia.

kratz said:
Flying through Halifax, I have been almost always "been chosen for additional screening".
It's really annoying since it's the only airport that does this to me so often, but I just go through the motions.
This current trip I stunned them by opting for the pat down. They were not ready for that answer.  >:D

Is that because it makes them miss their morning coffee break? Is it a group project or something?

Just asking....... ;D

I find going through smaller airports, I get the equivalent of a rectal exam.  I'm usually met by at least half a dozen security pers who make me take half my clothes off, go through my bags before going through the x-ray and ask me all sorts of questions (there is only one gate!).  Gotta be vigilant for terrorists to justify all that man power in Fort Bumf***, BC.

At larger airports, it is relatively quick and smooth.  ::)

On a slight tangent, I've given up on trying to book flights with Aeroplan.  They usually only have availabilities when the planets allign, Oscar the Grouch smiles and frogs start falling from the sky.

Instead, I have found that these points come in pretty handy for cruises - 12,000 points = $100 voucher and 59,000 points = $500 voucher.

Never had an issue in Thunder Bay or Winnipeg, other than annoying security staff.

Jim Seggie said:
Never had an issue in Thunder Bay or Winnipeg, other than annoying security staff.
I always thought it was supposed to be fun, not an issue to annoy security staff.  :D

jollyjacktar said:
I always thought it was supposed to be fun, not an issue to annoy security staff.  :D

See my post # 46 above  ;D

Remember the Air Canada motto . . .  "We're not happy until you're not happy"

Then fly Westjet.

kratz said:

Ah good old halifax airport.

The mat you step on that tells you which line to go to is not hooked up to some "randomizer" as it is supposed to. Its a guy with buttons, looking through a camera, that decides who get the additional screening.

CDN Aviator said:
Ah good old halifax airport.

The mat you step on that tells you which line to go to is not hooked up to some "randomizer" as it is supposed to. Its a guy with buttons, looking through a camera, that decides who get the additional screening.

I have not made it through that airport without additional screening. And I've been through there too much!

dogger1936 said:
I have not made it through that airport without additional screening. And I've been through there too much!

Stop looking suspicious :camo:

Also United Airlines/Continental Airlines, you cheap B@$****$! you could at least provide a pillow on international flights! "There only for 1st Class" I was informed, I received one later but only because the flight steward was nice and it was on the red eye flight  back. Nothing like paying for steerage class. Also how about an industry standard...at least it was on domestic flights...a complimentary snack, not one I have to pay for.

Domestic Flights (Canada/US included), you have to pay for 1...count em 1 piece of luggage. On international flights they are gracious enough to offer 1 free checked bag.
I uploaded episodes of PAN-AM on my Ipod for my flight but I couldn't watch them, just too depressed.

Haletown said:
Remember the Air Canada motto . . .  "We're not happy until you're not happy"

Then fly Westjet.
I do prefer West-Jet but they need to expand Internationally, still not bad considering where they started.

Air Canada International isn't too bad, but their domestic service is crap.  Qantas (which for some reason sometimes has 747s on the Brisbane-Sydney run, which is all of 1.5 hours) has at least a small meal.  And their headsets are by donation to UNICEF!

I flew down to Nassau to meet my ship in Aug on AC.  The cheap bastards don't provide a meal on those international flights anymore.  Credit card only, no cash.  Things have changed since my last AC international in 07.  If I could I would only want to fly Emirates.  They have to date for me provided the best experience of all the airlines I have flown.  South African Airlines wasn't too bad either.  Would go with them again too.

Back