• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How bad has airline travel become in North America?

• Thread starter jollyjacktar
  • Start date
I don't dspute that people should inform themselves of what's coming.  It's just that we could abolish most of the so-called securtiy measures at airports to little or no ill effect.

And re: a lack of genital fondling:  Wait for it.  In certain airports you have the choice of full body imagery (and the related radiation exposure) or a complete pat-down.

dapaterson said:
I don't dspute that people should inform themselves of what's coming.  It's just that we could abolish most of the so-called securtiy measures at airports to little or no ill effect.

And re: a lack of genital fondling:  Wait for it.  In certain airports you have the choice of full body imagery (and the related radiation exposure) or a complete pat-down.

I saw all of the hullaballoo about the scans and the radiation. I think tinfoil helps ward it off. Seriously, it's not a huge amount, IIRC. I have been through the scanner at least twice now but lately it's either been shut off or the arrow on the screen told me to go elsewhere. Haven't seen them in the UK yet.

To sum up: I am not all that bothered by any of it.

My concern re:scanners is primarily o nthe testing and maintenance; I'm not confident that calibration and safety checks will be done regularly and properly.

And re: Security theatre: http://www.salon.com/2012/01/04/what_do_cupcakes_and_lightsabers_have_in_common/singleton

Apparently, cupcakes are dangerous - gel-like icing is a potential threat (at least according to TSA screeners in Vegas).

To be fair to the screeners with CATSA, DP they are given their marching orders by Transport Canada here and their American counterparts down south.  They call the shots on what is and what is not allowed.  Transport Canada has no grey areas, it is black and white on how things are done.  I imagine the Yanks are the same.

I was flyin through Philly with my green passport.  Border agent was ex marine we were talking  real nice guy. two ladies start complaining cause its taking too long. He snapped.  "Can't you see I'm talking to a fellow service member" They quieted down real quick.

never had issues in any US airports

Heathrow on the other hand was unreal....

Explain to me why the agents  in Halifax refuse to take an NDI 20 as valid government ID but a provincial drivers license is.....

NFLD Sapper said:
Explain to me why the agents  in Halifax refuse to take an NDI 20 as valid government ID but a provincial drivers license is.....

Happens to me all the time when I fly at Westjet, they say its because our gender is not printed on it. Transport Canada actually says that, however goes on to list Military ID as valid identification.

dapaterson said:
My concern re:scanners is primarily o nthe testing and maintenance; I'm not confident that calibration and safety checks will be done regularly and properly.

And re: Security theatre: http://www.salon.com/2012/01/04/what_do_cupcakes_and_lightsabers_have_in_common/singleton

Apparently, cupcakes are dangerous - gel-like icing is a potential threat (at least according to TSA screeners in Vegas).

Funny that you say that, usually going through a metal detector with a pusser belt sets it off every time. I forgot to take it off last time I flew and it never set it off when I went through. I mentioned it to the screener and she shrugged her shoulders and told me to move along.

In the early 90s I trained as an airport screener, got issued my "Go anywhere in the airport" pass... and then the company realized they'd hired too many, so I (and a bunch of others) were told "Thanks, but no thanks."

Meaning I was not an airport screener, but I still had the nifty full-access pass for the airport.

SInce then I have remained underwhelmed by what we call security in many places. Over time I've learned not to be too aggressive in pointing out such problems - surprising as it may be, you can get labelled as a troublemaker.  ::)

dapaterson said:
In the early 90s I trained as an airport screener, got issued my "Go anywhere in the airport" pass... and then the company realized they'd hired too many, so I (and a bunch of others) were told "Thanks, but no thanks."

Meaning I was not an airport screener, but I still had the nifty full-access pass for the airport.

SInce then I have remained underwhelmed by what we call security in many places. Over time I've learned not to be too aggressive in pointing out such problems - surprising as it may be, you can get labelled as a troublemaker.  ::)

I hear you, I know in Halifax quite a few of the screeners are ex mil and they seem the best to keep things moving.

Only issue I had was with one TSA employee at a small airport in California. It was 0430, 10 people on the aircraft and all CF members. He proceeds to give us a lecture on how our bags are too full, and how he can't close them alone. I mentioned we've been living out of a duffel bag for a month in a hotel, and he then carries on about how we shouldn't be bringing a 60 of Crown Royal back to Canada since we'll pay duty (they were 30 USD, couldn't resist, duty would have still been cheaper). Every other security employee I've run into has never given me an issue.

PuckChaser said:
Only issue I had was with one TSA employee at a small airport in California. It was 0430, 10 people on the aircraft and all CF members. He proceeds to give us a lecture on how our bags are too full, and how he can't close them alone. I mentioned we've been living out of a duffel bag for a month in a hotel, and he then carries on about how we shouldn't be bringing a 60 of Crown Royal back to Canada since we'll pay duty (they were 30 USD, couldn't resist, duty would have still been cheaper). Every other security employee I've run into has never given me an issue.

Never had any real problems while I been traveling in the states. I noticed they do no frig around when it comes to security. On one trip when I was clearing in, I was actually upgraded to 1st class. The agent thanked me for my service and told me to have a nice day. I doubt if you'll ever get that in Canada.

Chief Stoker said:
Never had any real problems while I been traveling in the states. I noticed they do no frig around when it comes to security. On one trip when I was clearing in, I was actually upgraded to 1st class. The agent thanked me for my service and told me to have a nice day. I doubt if you'll ever get that in Canada.

Actually Air Canada did that for me once. Upgrade to business class. Very nice of them!!

Jim Seggie said:
Actually Air Canada did that for me once. Upgrade to business class. Very nice of them!!

Air Canada too, good show.

Chief Stoker said:

The funny part about the dude giving us a hard time, was that he missed a 3 inch pocket knife that a coworker forgot in his carryon. LAX security caught it, and we told them we were already screened at the previous airport and were pretty ticked off.

I had a CBSA employee doing a passport check in the jetway when I came from Heathrow and he looked at my mil ID, green passport and short haircut and said "Welcome home". I was the only person on the jetway as everyone else was scrutinized quite thoroughly.

PuckChaser said:
The funny part about the dude giving us a hard time, was that he missed a 3 inch pocket knife that a coworker forgot in his carry on. LAX security caught it, and we told them we were already screened at the previous airport and were pretty ticked off.

I had a CBSA employee doing a passport check in the jetway when I came from Heathrow and he looked at my mil ID, green passport and short haircut and said "Welcome home". I was the only person on the jetway as everyone else was scrutinized quite thoroughly.

Nice. I flew out once after just getting back from sea and I had my kit bag with a pocket folder in a side pocket I missed as I usually check for that sort of thing.Went thru security and they stopped me for a drafting set. When back out and mailed it to myself, when thru the second time and they found the knife this time and accused me of putting it there to get it on the plane :eek:
I got pretty mad and demanded to see the supervisor and we has a chat, in the end I ended up mailing that to myself as well. ::)

PuckChaser said:
The funny part about the dude giving us a hard time, was that he missed a 3 inch pocket knife that a coworker forgot in his carryon. LAX security caught it, and we told them we were already screened at the previous airport and were pretty ticked off.

I was returning from course in Norfolk, on a green passport with mil ID.  I was the only one taken off to the side and searched like crazy by the CBSA.  They also went through me with a fine tooth comb in Quebec when I came home from decompression in Cyprus.  When I was flying down to Norfolk for the course I was given the stink eye in Detroit, mind you, Chretien had just told Bush we were not going to join the festivities in Iraq.  I got a bit of stink eye here and there those two weeks.  Meh, maybe it's just me.

I've had things hit and miss.  Generaly, a CF miilitary ID makes entering the US much easier.  On the other hand, back before a passport was needed, I once made the mistake of trying to re-enter Canada using my CF ID card.

"Not valid ID."  I was told.

"It's government issue photo ID."  I said.

"Not valid ID."  I was told.

"Here's a laminated wallet-size birth certificate that could be from anyone in the world and provides absolutely no proof of who I am."  I said.

"That works."  he said.

I find it somewhat frightening just how "hit n miss" it is with US security at airports.

I had to take a last minute flight a few months back.  I didn't have anything except my driver's license, and a soggy/ripped/torn/crumbled birth certificate.  I slide the 2 under the glass window at YYC, the US Customs guy looked at me and said "What the heck is this??"  To which I replied...."Birth certificate...been in the wash a few times since I was 1yo..."

He shrugged his shoulders, and told me to have a good flight.  I find getting back into Canada INFINIATELY more diffiult than getting into the US (Which I don't mind at all).

And then there's the story I read recently about the guy who used a scanned copy of his Canadian passport to enter the US, and then return to Canada.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/story/2012/01/03/ipad-passport-scan-gets-montreal-man-into-united-states.html

However, it seems that CBP is disputing the story.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/story/2012/01/04/united-states-customs-denies-montreal-man-allowed-into-country-with-passport-scan.html

Back