• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Buying/selling Medals Superthread [merged]

• Thread starter Thread starter Bulvyn
  • Start date Start date
Before this turns into another parsing of the regulations thread, let's wait until Chief Stoker comes back with some more detail.

---Staff---

recceguy said:
Before this turns into another parsing of the regulations thread, let's wait until Chief Stoker comes back with some more detail.

---Staff---

Hi, I know the member is still in and he has been contacted. The medal was apparently stolen last year. The matter has been reported to the MP's as it could be stolen property. As for the regs I will check at work tomorrow, I would be surprised if you are allowed to sell it while still in.

Odd that it was stolen with the paperwork for the award....

PuckChaser said:
Odd that it was stolen with the paperwork for the award....

Yes indeedie.  No one would go through that much trouble in stealing medals.  Very odd indeed.

George Wallace said:
Yes indeedie.  No one would go through that much trouble in stealing medals.  Very odd indeed.

Unless it was a "friend" with access....

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Unless it was a "friend" with access....

Still looks fishy.  Most would totally ignore any irrelevant 'paperwork' as a MPPR when stealing an object of value.

Interesting to note that whoever 'censored' the documents, failed to censor the CRA date.  >:D

Ribbon seems very worn too... also if member was awarded this medal in 2000-ish why wasn't it court mounted in the last 14 years?

NFLD Sapper said:
Ribbon seems very worn too... also if member was awarded this medal in 2000-ish why wasn't it court mounted in the last 14 years?

The seller replied that a friend gave it him to sell on consignment and the medal came from a flea market. He won't give up the medal unless he has proof, I told him the MP's will be contacting him soonest with the proof. Hopefully the member gets the medal back.

The listing is gone so I can't see what was offered. Most collectors will pay a premium for the award docs that go with a set of medals

Larry

Larry Strong said:
The listing is gone so I can't see what was offered. Most collectors will pay a premium for the award docs that go with a set of medals

Larry

It was a named OP Service medal awarded a few years ago for OP Caribbe. Before it was taken down, it has a bid of $375

Thanks for that. Did it have the award doc as well, or am I misreading things?

Cheers
Larry

Chief Stoker said:
It was a named OP Service medal awarded a few years ago for OP Caribbe. Before it was taken down, it has a bid of $375

Actually, the poster was asking for a starting bid of $375 but at the time it was taken down there was no bids registered.

Larry Strong said:
Thanks for that. Did it have the award doc as well, or am I misreading things?

Cheers
Larry
It had the single sheet substantiation form (not a clerk, no idea what it's called) with all the dates for eligible service, tombstone data, etc.

A few points:

1)  The CF does not issue/award medals from the Canadian Honours system (they all emanate from the Crown and the Chancellery manages that); therefore, the CF has no say on the disposition of an individual's medals.
2)  There is no regulation that says you must accept and/or wear them.  It is up to the recipient.  However, there is a rule that says IF you decide to wear them (in CF uniform), they must be real ones (i.e. not replicas).
3)  The recipient is free to sell them if they want.  I've never seen it in Canada, but I have seen ads for the sale of members of the British forces selling their medals virtually on the day they retired (money is worth more than memories I guess)
4)  Named medals are worth more than unnamed ones.
5)  Complete groups are worth more than the sum of the individual medals (collectors prefer complete groups as they often value the stories that go with them.
6)  Other than those that have been stolen, most medals that end up for sale have been discarded by the heirs of the recipients.  Collectors often actually save medals that otherwise would have disappeared (Google Lord Ashcroft's VC collection at the Imperial War Museum, many of which would never have been seen again if he hadn't purchased them).

Back