• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

AESOp ( MOC 081)

CDN Aviator said:
As of the APS ( this summer), the MOS is full. That , IMHO, will lead to reduced intakes to cover for attrition.

The DWAN still shows you are in the red? I am new so can you explain

COTP is rank of Cpl/LS with 48 Months of service.

Cool, thanks.

There is no "best way" to get into the trade.

As far as a posting to 407 goes, it is one of many postings where we send new AES Ops and you are as likely to be sent to anyone of them. We are now sending fresh gradutes to ground jobs directly after graduations, so those getting a flying tour right off the bat should consider themselves lucky.

What do you mean by ground jobs?

That being said, all are AES Op jobs and require motivated and competent individuals.

Thanks for the insight. Taker' easy.

Hello everyone,

I've noticed that Aesop is now accepting recruits off the street. joy lol
So how is the ranking system going to work with those recruits? considering it use to be CPL's only through VOT.

Thanks

L.G

former Artillery 021, AVS 526 and now UTPNCM cadet in halifax.

lonnieg3 said:
So how is the ranking system going to work with those recruits?

It works just like every other trade in the CF.

Pretty simple.

CDN Aviator said:
It works just like every other trade in the CF.

Pretty simple.

That's a pretty helpful answer. You must work at a recruiting centre!
So by "every trade in CF" do you mean MP's and musicians as well? Since they get their CPL's after basic, or Pharmacists and Doctor's who usually go right to Captain and Major?.... but I'm sure you knew that. ;)

Can someone other then this guy clarify whether the recruits off the street going into the AesOP trade are going to be promoted to CPL after basic or their QL3's? Do they get promoted faster like the guys going through a VOT? or like the first reply, do they simply move up the chain as per usual?

Thank you to whoever properly answers this :)

lonnieg3 said:
That's a pretty helpful answer. You must work at a recruiting centre!
So by "every trade in CF" do you mean MP's and musicians as well? Since they get their CPL's after basic, or Pharmacists and Doctor's who usually go right to Captain and Major?.... but I'm sure you knew that. ;)

Can someone other then this guy clarify whether the recruits off the street going into the AesOP trade are going to be promoted to CPL after basic or their QL3's? Do they get promoted faster like the guys going through a VOT? or like the first reply, do they simply move up the chain as per usual?

Thank you to whoever properly answers this :)

Sigh.  Like Cdn Aviator said- it works like every other trade in the CF.  As a direct entry candidate, once recruited, you will attend BMQ, then the Basic ASEOP Course.  If you pass, you get your wings and will be posted to a Sqn.  You will attend an Operational Training Unit to get qualified for your operational role.  You will be promoted to Cpl when you have the time in the CF (48 months? I'm working off memory) just like everyone else.  You will fly as a "no hook" Private, for at least some of your career.

However, since last time I looked AESOP was full, the point is moot, for now. 

lonnieg3 said:
Can someone other then this guy clarify whether the recruits off the street going into the AesOP trade are going to be promoted to CPL after basic or their QL3's?

They do not get promoted after course. They are privates for 3-4 years. The VOT are CPLs and stay there unless they earn their promotion to MCpl by way of merit and nothing else, no more automatic promotions.

lonnieg3 said:
You must work at a recruiting centre!

No, i'm a AES Op senior NCO in an operational LRP squadron.

Anymore BS comments sunshine ?

Sometimes I think questions are better answered in person, the last few posts would be much more entertaining had they occurred face to face.  :)

CDN Aviator is by far the most knowledgeable guy on the subject (on this board).

Dolphin_Hunter said:
Sometimes I think questions are better answered in person, the last few posts would be much more entertaining had they occurred face to face.  :)

CDN Aviator is by far the most knowledgeable guy on the subject (on this board).

Hey- what am I- chopped liver?  I was only your Flight Commander for what- 8 months?  :)

It's PER season...  I have to find those extra points somewhere.  :)

Dolphin_Hunter said:
It's PER season...  I have to find those extra points somewhere.  :)

I'm not writting yours  ;D

Come to think of it, i escaped PER season.

Can I ask, what are the trades that can be OT to AESop? Does it have to be another NCM air force trade?
Or it can either be the army or navy NCM position?

It can be any trade, and it doesnt matter which you're coming from, army navy or airforce.

trigger said:
It can be any trade, and it doesnt matter which you're coming from, army navy or airforce.

Thank you for your immediate reply. But would trades like, e.g. AVN tech, NES op, have an advantage
in the merit list during the OT? Since they have a higher knowledge and skill about airframes or senor equipment

I doubt it. From what I gather, people with all sorts of backgrounds bring all sorts of skills to the table. Airframe knowledge can't hurt, but it's likely not what will get you selected, it's more your supervisors review of your performance, and your own input(how your interview goes--that covers everything within your military career so far as well as some things they ask you about yourself)

It does not matter what trade you come from. I came from a combat arms trade. There's no trade that will give you an advantage or special knowledge.

Does anyone has the minimum requirement for direct entry AESop?
Will having a undergraduate degree increase one's chance of getting in?

nickanick said:
Does anyone has the minimum requirement for direct entry AESop?

Grade 12 with grade 10 academic math and there is also a cut-off score on the CFAT.

Will having a undergraduate degree increase one's chance of getting in?

Maybe.

I'm currently an Army Reserve NCM MCpl that is currently deployed to Afghanistan. I'm looking at my options when I get home and thinking of OT-ing to the AES Op trade. I've done a bit of research and it look like an amazing but highly desired and competitive trade. For those already in the trade and experienced for a few years, I have a few questions for you:

1) Can you walk me step by step on the courses, duration and location that a person would go thru after BMQ to be a qual'd AES Op and sent to an Operational Sqn.

2) What are the negatives of this trade?

3) For posting and platform preferences, how much is accommodated?

4) Are there opportunities to deploy outside of Canada on Operations, or is this usually a domestic/sovereignty trade?

5) On an average daily basis, are you busy with your trade, or are you sitting around waiting for something to happen?

6) When it comes to who is ground crew, and who is air crew, how is that decided? Is that merit and seniority, or just a rotation?

Thanks for your help!

Back