• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What do you guys think. Tattoo Idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hatchet Man said:
Also since no one else has mentioned it shop around a bit.   Since you have the design already the prices quoted to you should be fairly similar, if you find places that have wildly different prices be very cautious, especially if it is a low quote.    Cheaper is NOT better with most things, and this especially holds true with tattoos.   It could very well mean they are skipping on something important (like brand new sterile needles).   While you are getting price quotes, check out the portfolios of the artists at each studio, the whole process is a little more involved than just a stencil.   If they are a really good artist they may offer suggestions about little things you could add to your design to make it more individual to you.   Once you have your price quote get it in writing.  

Also important health safety info, not every jurisdiction has regulations on tattoo shops (in fact most don't).   Contact you local health department and find out if your municipality has any bylaws/enforcement/inspections WRT to Tattoo shops.   If they don't be cautious, while a lot of shops may be very safe in these locales some won't so here are the health and safety things to look for.  

1)Stick to "hard" shops, as finding out info on the place will be much easier, avoid tattoo artists in places like flea markets and other places where they can come and go overnight.
2)Overall does the shop look clean? First impressions count, so if they don't take time to keep the non-tattoo areas clean what assurance is there that the area you will get the tattoo be any better.
3)If the shop is located in a place that does inspections (like Toronto, which btw is one of the strictest in world when it comes to tattoo shops), ask for their report.   If they hesitate or refuse, RUN don't walk out the door.
4)Some tattoo shops will also provide info on who disposes of the used needles, if they do read it.
5)All reputable and responsible shops have an autoclave (uses high pressure steam to sterilze equipment), and should have a yearly inspection report from an independant lab.   Agian if they are hesitant/refuse to show you it, or have trouble saying the word "autoclave" get the heck out.
6)The Flooring and all countertops should be made of hard no porous material (like ceramic). They only carpet should be in the recepetion area, not in the back
7)The area where you get the tattoo should not be in a high traffic area
8)The sterile needle package MUST be opened infront of you.   If you did not see them open the package, do not let them use those needles.   Also they must/should (depending on the jurisdiction) dispose of the needles in an appropriate sharps container, with you as a witness.   same goes for any razor that they used to shave the area
9)The area to be tattooed MUST be disinfected prior to work being done (the means you, the counter tops, chair)
10)The artist MUST wear gloves, if he doesn't he is risking his own health.,
11)The machine that holds the needles, and the cord to power it should/must (jursidiction dependant), be cover in plastic.
12)Ink MUST be poured into small   one time use cups, so there is no cross contamination.
13)When finished the area is bandaged.

The "MUST" in capital letters is something that good do regardless of whether or not the local authorities say they have to or not.   If they don't they are putting your safety in jeopardy and you should walk out.

Also most good shops will provide you with after care instructions, which you should follow if you want you tattoo to last and to prevent infections.

Good luck, and start planning your next ones! I have six, and have several more I want done.

Oh yea, when I plan on getting my tattoo I plan on getting it at the best place in Toronto.  I don't think I trust to many other places, other then the top places in Toronto.  Going down because of a dirty needle from a bogus tattoo joint is not the way I want to go down. 

Thanks for the tips and the concern.

I was thinking of getting a tattoo on my forehead saying "OWNED"

baboon6 said:
I was thinking of getting a tattoo on my forehead saying "OWNED"

Well, go right ahead then! ;D

Can only agree with most others in here; think it over properly. I've got both upper arms tattooed, two on the right and three on the left.
Also have one on each lower leg, all tribal. Had the first made seventeen years ago and caught the craze. But just as much as I'm happy with them, I also realize that they could've looked even better if...

Regards
Troels

Also, I can think of half a dozen guys who got the CF cornflake on their bicep, or wings on their hands, and joined to a full on Bn size harassment.

After you have been in the army a year, you will see your proposed ink as also representing truck drivers, medics and toilet techs, as well as your own trade. My guess would be that you will go with a more exclusive Regimental, Batallion or even Company tattoo.

But fill your boots....

I was one of those youngsters who commited a soldier's cardinal sin; I had a woman's name inked into my flesh.  22 years later, she's gone, the ink remains...at least for now, plans are in place to cover it up.  In carpentry, measure twice, cut once.  In tattoos, think twice, think twice more, then ink.

Kat

GO!!! said:
Also, I can think of half a dozen guys who got the CF cornflake on their bicep, or wings on their hands, and joined to a full on Bn size harassment.

After you have been in the army a year, you will see your proposed ink as also representing truck drivers, medics and toilet techs, as well as your own trade. My guess would be that you will go with a more exclusive Regimental, Batallion or even Company tattoo.

But fill your boots....

A regimental tattoo or something similar would probably be a better idea.  Even if you leave, once a (insert regiment) always a insert.  Myself I have my regimental crest on my left shoulder, and the regimental motto on the insides of my forearms.  Why the hell would someone get the cornflake tattooed on them?

Cuz they were a civvie and did'nt know any better!

Ahh the regimental tattoo,

a brilliant idea, I have talked about mine before , the lovely wee bird.

Yep, 

Go for the regimental themed ink, and for God sakes wait until you have completed everything and are posted, and have served for a while in your unit.

dileas

tess

I love the points that have been made on this thread.

My best advice to you would be to sit down and design your own. Make it a custom piece. Maybe take a bit of BMQ, SQ and your 3's, slap them together and come out with an awesome design that represents your first year in.

I do have three tats. ONe on my breast that is 13 years old, one on my tailbone that is 9 yrs old and an arm band that is 7 years old. All are custom and I havenever regretted any of them. My next one is already, just waiting to get it done with my sister. It will be a fairy, representing my sister(with red hair) and it will be on my left shoulder. She will have a similar one but with blonde hair on the same shoulder.

I have been designing this one for over a year now, so i know it will mean the world to me once it is permanently on my skin.

My latest addition...

I got this on the outside of my left thigh, just yesterday.

Picture9.jpg

Michael Dorosh said:
Tattoos are like, so yesterday, man.   Corneal carvings are the way to go.   You get one of those laser eye surgeons to carve the word ARMY right into your cornea.   It lights up in the dark and everything.

I died when i read that one...too funny

Can you be sure of getting the same artist to complete the four parts of your proposed Tattoo?

Could wind up you hating it if one piece(sword) doesn't match the others.

Wait till after your training, course instructors love people who want to wear the badge before they earn it.

Besides you might want to modify your design alittle to make it more personal or meaningfull to you.

It's your skin/Art, make sure you won't have any regrets later.

Cheers.

Sh0rtbUs said:
My latest addition...

I got this on the outside of my left thigh, just yesterday.

Picture9.jpg

i was thinking about something like that after i join the forces..

That's pretty original - you get that right on your uniform as well.

Just for those who want 1, like bruce allued to, take your time when deciding what you want. Dont get it for the "cool factor", or to be a show off. It's something I am proud of, and decided to place my design somewheres that would remind me every day of what i've sworn myself to do, being my left thigh... (hard not to see that at least once in your day).

Do it for yourself, not others. If it doesnt truely mean something to YOU, you'll be sick of it later in life.

Tattoos is like a biographie of yourself on your body so wait before tattooing stuff especially army tattoos....wait to complete the courses. And like i asked in another topic but never got the answer i wanted what if i have a tattoo non military will it be a problem for the special forces like pathfinder and others ? but i was thinking of getting tattoed a wolf a nice design not only a screaming wolf with the moon besides no something original but i want to ask you people... witch questions should i ask my self to make sure that i am ready for it ?
By the way some people in the other topic told me that they wouldn't tattoo to much military stuff because if they go spec ops and they get caught ( hostage ) the enemy could know all they military career. But i don't mind if its not a problem for the spec ops  i will tattoo my whole military career after i completed the courses.

Thanks

Wolf  :cdn:

Wolfe said:
Tattoos is like a biographie of yourself on your body so wait before tattooing stuff especially army tattoos....wait to complete the courses. And like i asked in another topic but never got the answer i wanted what if i have a tattoo non military will it be a problem for the special forces like pathfinder and others ? but i was thinking of getting tattoed a wolf a nice design not only a screaming wolf with the moon besides no something original but i want to ask you people... witch questions should i ask my self to make sure that i am ready for it ?
By the way some people in the other topic told me that they wouldn't tattoo to much military stuff because if they go spec ops and they get caught ( hostage ) the enemy could know all they military career. But i don't mind if its not a problem for the spec ops  i will tattoo my whole military career after i completed the courses.

Thanks

Wolf  :cdn:

Wolfe, as long as your tattoos conform to military regulations, and you're not having "JTF-2" tattooed across your forehead, there shouldn't be an issue. If you choose to tattoo your training record on your butt, by all means go ahead.

But I would suggest that you keep discussion regarding your plans for JTF-2, etc., to yourself at least until you complete BMQ and have a better idea of the steps ahead of you. As you can see, most senior members of the forum have stopped answering questions about JTF-2, etc., because that ground has been covered in detail.

Start with the JTF-2 - Sniper - Pathfinder - Para threads here: http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/21131.0.html

Wolf, I think that rather than asking yourself questions as to whether you should get a tattoo or not, you should simply be able to recognize that you are so sure, that you have no more questions to ask.

When you're absolutely sure, then knock yourself out -  but not a moment sooner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back