• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What Colour will Canada paint Leopard 2's from the Dutch

George Wallace said:
From the RCD Collection:

Wow, I may have seen one of the original drafts way back in the 80's, Tpr Jam(?) was always doodling something like this, calling it the RCDC-10!

IIRC there was one in the old TSS canteen behind K-16 back in '88/ 89....could be the same one.

Regards

dapaterson said:
Bright pink.  With orange polka-dots.

Hey!!! PINK! was MY idea! LOL!  ;D I suggested not too long ago to someone on chat earlier this year- I think Fred was there too- that someone paint the Leopard on the RMC grounds bright pink.  >:D Hehehe...

Oh well...I'd better be quiet now.  :-X

CougarDaddy said:
Hey!!! PINK! was MY idea! LOL!  ;D I suggested not too long ago to someone on chat earlier this year- I think Fred was there too- that someone paint the Leopard on the RMC grounds bright pink.  >:D Hehehe...

A bit late for that now methinks.     

Regards

I've got a question. Regarding the colour of paint on vehicles in Afghanistan, why are they green? There are plenty of photos from Afghanistan before the move to Kabul where armoured vehicles are all tan, and not from the dirt everywheres. Is there a reason the LAVs and Bisons et al over there now aren't coloured like that anymore? Now its all switched around: The CADPAT is arid, but now the vehicles are green.

http://www.combatcamera.forces.gc.ca/netpub/server.np?find&catalog=photos&template=detail_e.np&field=itemid&op=matches&value=28786&site=combatcamera

I've often wondered about that myself... it is quite interesting...

but I think we should paint only 1 of the Leos the paint scheme of orange and black same wit hthe nice RX-7 drifter in FATF:Tokyo Drift ;)

All in all, our vehicles are still painted their usual green colour.
give em a couple of hours in the field and they just turn... dusty

The dust gets into everything and sticks to pert much everything

You may be refering to the vehicles that went in during Op Apollo, they were painted tan.

All the vehicles in Kabul and in Kandahar, minus the RG31, are green.

Regards

CougarDaddy said:

The "Pink Panzer"?

Been done  ;D

Saw it at CMR and at Gagetown back when the Leo 1s were brand new and the Centurions were the just-retired targets of Ocdt pranks

uncle-midget-boyd said:
There are plenty of photos from Afghanistan before the move to Kabul where armoured vehicles are all tan, and not from the dirt everywheres. Is there a reason the LAVs and Bisons et al over there now aren't coloured like that anymore?
The only time we painted our vehicle fleet tan was for Op APOLLO.  All other tours after that used a green fleet.

geo said:
All in all, our vehicles are still painted their usual green colour.
give em a couple of hours in the field and they just turn... dusty

The dust gets into everything and sticks to pert much everything
Having been there, I can assure you that after a few hours out of the wire the vehicles still look big and green, though now clearly dirty with some large tan areas

Panzertech said:
I think they will stay the colour that they are for two reasons 1. The Canadian government is too cheap to spring for any paint.
I suspect it has little to do with cost and a lot to do with nobody wanting the hassle of dealing with CARC paint.

Tan paint probably would give better camouflage in many parts of the country, though there are many green spots that our troops are fighting in.  In addition to visible spectrum, arid CARC provides improved camouflage in non-visible spectrums.  Finally, when solar loading & internal heat is a problem for many of our vehicles, Arid paint would provide a means to reduce solar loading (like driving a white car as opposed to a black one in summer).

But, applying an arid CARC paint would likely compete with manpower resources required to uparmour vehicles before we send them over.  Additionally, it would add to the work time (so a vehicle becomes unavailable to both operational & training users longer).

Now that you mention it, we came back from Christmas leave in January 2002 to find our Coyotes painted sand.  The add-on armour was added in-theatre after we deployed to KAF in  Feb 2002 - I don't remember if it came over 'sand' in the crates or was sprayed by our techs.

Back