• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Wanted: Pace Stick

DJ_Overload

Inactive
Reaction score
Good Day,

I hope someone on here can be of assistance because I have pretty much ran out of resources. If any one knows where I can purchase CND Pace Sticks could you please let me know where. I have ran across several places that sell what I understand is the British pattern (with the "V" top) but I would really prefer the CND version with the rounded brass top. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Try looking in the RCR or PPCLI online kit shops, they may carry them.

Didnt know the canadian ones had a brass top

- Shawn

:salute: i have one. it is round at top. but is wood top. very nice order but never pick up :cdn:

I Would like to purchase a pace stick.

I would appreciate information on a good place to buy one new or even how to search for it.

JB
Capt

Here is a couple of links for you........it is a pace stick and not a drill cane that you want.......right?

http://www.intune.ca/Pace_Sticks.htm

http://www.williamscully.ca/gallery/trimmings

http://www.execulink.com/~thercran/idkit.htm

It's amazing how much of that stuff we actually make in our shop for a whole lot less money and a little time.

Just goes to show you "What one motivated Wpns tech and a engraver can do"

I would like a pace stick for the wall.. so any takers? Or where can I buy one at?

Try The RCR Kit Shop:

http://www.thercrkitshop.com/index.php?page=products/index.php&indid=393

...one of the advertisers to this site... Wm Scully & sons

there's also "Penny's" out of north bay. Myles Penny distributes to a large number of Kit Shops & Highland bands..... He has both pine & black pace sticks - old or new hardware

www.penny.ca

Well I wanted to get a good quality drill cane but they seem to be hard to find, then I tried making one but couldn't get my hands on a 25mm Casing. So now even though it goes against what the Regiment does I think that I may pick up a black pace stick from Penny's. Does anybody know of what quality the pace sticks from Penny's are?

a lot of the pace sticks that the CF uses were imported thru Penny's

Myles is an OK sort - has been selling to all of the Regimental Kit Shops for years.

GGHG_Cadet said:
Well I wanted to get a good quality drill cane but they seem to be hard to find, then I tried making one but couldn't get my hands on a 25mm Casing. So now even though it goes against what the Regiment does I think that I may pick up a black pace stick from Penny's. Does anybody know of what quality the pace sticks from Penny's are?

Contact the Armoured School Kitshop in Gagetown. Drillcanes are $30.00.

http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/Armour_school/kitshop/index_e.asp

GGHG_Cadet said:

You are aware that a Drill Cane and a Pace Stick are two different animals?

If you tried to make a Drill Cane, and were trying to fashion it out of a (spent) 25mm rd, you are going to end up with a pretty hefty cane. It is too large.
Normally a .50 cal is used, however, all you are after is a dressing at each end. That could be fashioned out of any metal, brass, stainless, chrome etc. Check into what your unit standard is (traditionally used). The standard method of acquiring one (in an Armoured Regt) is to get promoted to a position that you are presented the SSM's cane.
If, at this point in your life, you are anticipating promotion to RSM then a pace stick is appropriate (again it comes with the job, no need to buy one. )

If you are just trying to collect memorabilia check e-bay (a new pace stick will set you back a bit, especially for hanging on a wall)

For an original proper quality PACE stick you will have to go to the RCR kit shop in London. I am not sure on the armoured school as I have not been there in years. Whatever and whomever you choose to buy the item from especially in this case please remember you will get exactly what you pay for and I will not say anything more on this subject. Good luck

Drill canes usually have a 20mm casing at the wider end and a .50 cal case at the narrower end.

I know the Armd School in Gagetown has the mats.  As others have stated, contact them.

D

I bought a 20mm and a .50 cal casing off ebay recently and the cane is currently in the works. My Affiliated Regiment gives  Black drill canes to SSMs and the RSM, they do not use a pace stick. The canes do not use casings as the ends of the cane, but as the casings were all I could find I'll have to see how the first cane turns out.

(see A-AD-265-000/AG-001, CF Dress Instructions, Chapter 3)

PACE STICKS AND CANES
32. Canes may be carried routinely and during ceremonial activities by senior disciplinarians CPO1 and CWOs at Royal Military college, Training schools, Brigade, Base, ASG and units where canes
are customarily carried.

33. Pace sticks are an “aid to drill” and may be carried by WOs and NCOs during the conduct of, evaluation of, and in preparation for drill lessons, practices or ceremonial parades, less Guards of
Honour.

34. Personnel holding equivalent appointments in other commands may carry canes with the approval of the commander of the command.

Hope that helps with the difference

For those cadets out there or if you are looking for a cheap pace stick, you can purchase them from the Army Cadet League.  Last time I was in the office, they had black, cherry and blonde.  The style is what I believe they call "racing sticks".  I am not 100% backing the quality, but the look is there.

Pace stick & cheap, in the same sentence, are contradictory .... at the best of times.

Back