• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Victoria is facing a public-safety crisis

[Mayor Lisa Helps] “It’s probably a bit of a wake-up call for the department, for the management, for the union and for the board. The only thing you can do after getting survey results like this is take the recommended actions and make the workplace better.”

Yeah, because I’m sure there’s no discordant influence/pressure coming from city council to keep the police from effectively dealing with the lawlessness, for risk of not appearing un-Kumbaya… 🙄

Yeah, because I’m sure there’s no discordant influence/pressure coming from city council to keep the police from effectively dealing with the lawlessness, for risk of not appearing un-Kumbaya… 🙄

No, of course not.

Oh wait, what's this?

Petition calls for suspension of Victoria councillor Ben Isitt​

Isitt says petition ‘does not provide a reliable barometer of public opinion’

Nearly 2,000 people have signed a petition calling for Coun. Ben Isitt’s suspension, following comments connected to recent protests.
Isitt attended a demonstration put on by the supporters of the Wet’suwet’en hereditary chiefs as a citizen on Feb. 11. Following the demonstration, where allegations of assault were reported to Victoria police, Isitt chastised the police and the media.

No, of course not.

Oh wait, what's this?

Petition calls for suspension of Victoria councillor Ben Isitt​

Isitt says petition ‘does not provide a reliable barometer of public opinion’

Nearly 2,000 people have signed a petition calling for Coun. Ben Isitt’s suspension, following comments connected to recent protests.
Isitt attended a demonstration put on by the supporters of the Wet’suwet’en hereditary chiefs as a citizen on Feb. 11. Following the demonstration, where allegations of assault were reported to Victoria police, Isitt chastised the police and the media.

Oh, I see. Petitions are only a reliable barometer of public opinion, when they are in favour of your picked issues.

Got it, Ben.

Downtown is brutal. My wife works right beside the Bay Centre on Douglas St and the issues they deal with would shock some of you.

I had an incident myself two days ago downtown after dropping off my wife at work. I decided to have a Coffee at a local shop.

I was sitting there minding my business when an aggressive male, clearly homeless, came in and tried to use their washroom.

The women behind the counter told him that he needed to leave and he then proceeded to get in their face and ask to use their phone and demanded they give him a coffee.

When they told him NO he tried going behind the counter. It was at this point that I got up and told him to leave and he got right in my face and called me a "f@***t".

I laughed and told him "he smelled like **** and to go have a shower and if he touched me or anyone else in the place he would answer for it".

He left and stormed off down the street. He had his hands in his pockets the entire time so I was anticipating him pulling a knife or blade on me the entire time.

I was thanked by the store owners wished everyone a merry christmas. The downtown needs a good clean up crew to go in there and clear out the riff raff.

Downtown is brutal. My wife works right beside the Bay Centre on Douglas St and the issues they deal with would shock some of you.

I had an incident myself two days ago downtown after dropping off my wife at work. I decided to have a Coffee at a local shop.

I was sitting there minding my business when an aggressive male, clearly homeless, came in and tried to use their washroom.

The women behind the counter told him that he needed to leave and he then proceeded to get in their face and ask to use their phone and demanded they give him a coffee.

When they told him NO he tried going behind the counter. It was at this point that I got up and told him to leave and he got right in my face and called me a "f@***t".

I laughed and told him "he smelled like **** and to go have a shower and if he touched me or anyone else in the place he would answer for it".

He left and stormed off down the street. He had his hands in his pockets the entire time so I was anticipating him pulling a knife or blade on me the entire time.

I was thanked by the store owners wished everyone a merry christmas. The downtown needs a good clean up crew to go in there and clear out the riff raff.

Holy crap. If you can be bothered, it's worth reporting that. Nice work.

I walk down that way on a regular basis. It seems like every time I do there's another store front shop closing up to move elsewhere. I wear sunglasses, whether or not it's sunny, for the same reason many bodyguards do. It's come in handy a couple of times.

Soon, there'll just be tumble weeds, and cycling city councillors, traversing the fading rainbow painted sidewalks on their way to yet another protest at the Legislature.

So if a homeless indigenous person beats a urban openly gay person into a coma is that the result of colonialism?
Yupp. White guy’s ancestors shouldn’t have come and taken all the land. (I’m assuming the victim is white because you mentioned colonialism…)

Or is it a crime? 🤨

Nicely done sir.

For some reason, the way you wrote this out, I feel is a good reminder to all of us to watch the hands, and don’t get complacent.

Stay safe!

(Here I thought Victoria was super nice… never would have expected this stuff.)

Survey says.... OMG:

Victoria police officers and staff report 'toxic' work culture

The study found low levels of morale and high rates of post-traumatic stress disorder among the force's officers.

A majority of officers and civilians employed by the Victoria Police Department describe their workplace as “toxic,” “negative” and “micromanaged.”

That’s the finding of a 186-page study, funded by both the police union and senior management, that looked into the well-being and mental health of Victoria police officers and civilian staff, and examined the department’s ability to respond to their needs.

Victoria Police Chief Del Manak and union president Len Hollingsworth released a joint statement Wednesday, encouraging all staff to read the report while they review the recommendations.

“We welcome the information gathered in this report, as it will inform ways in which we can improve our workplace culture and help our people meet the challenges of our current operational environment … Gathering honest reflections from our team is a critical step in developing strategies to support the health and well-being of our staff,” they said.

The study found low levels of morale and high rates of post-traumatic stress disorder. Twenty-two per cent of officers and 24 per cent of civilians report clinical symptoms of PTSD. About 50 officers are on leave for various reasons. Patrol shifts are struggling to meet minimum staffing levels.

The study found the workplace culture is characterized by lack of trust and little communication between senior management and officers, “and a senior management team that is preoccupied with external events and stakeholders to the perceived detriment of the officers.”

Bullying and harassment are not the sources of stress, the researchers concluded.

Decision-making is not transparent, and rumours and stress surround impending decisions into which the rank-and-file have little input, it says.

“They also feel their opinions do not count in the organization and there will be consequences should they speak up and express their views. This includes disclosing mental health challenges.”

Both civilian employees and officers generally spoke favourably of their direct supervisors and were most likely to disclose their mental-health issues to them.

Officers identified workload, internal politics, lack of support from councils, the demands of frontline policing and police oversight as the top five stressors. Officers and civilians want to improve communication with “distant” senior managers.

A significant number of officers said the department was “an unhealthy environment” and their mental health wasn’t valued.

“I’m glad, and the board is glad, that the chief and the union are going to take joint action to make VicPd a healthier workplace when it comes to taking mental-health issues and stress-related injuries seriously, providing the supports that are needed,” said Helps, co-chair of the police board.

“It’s probably a bit of a wake-up call for the department, for the management, for the union and for the board. The only thing you can do after getting survey results like this is take the recommended actions and make the workplace better.”

Seventy-nine

Victoria police officers and staff report 'toxic' work culture
doing this on my phone, so my apologies for the spacing issues.

So basically…

- Senior management (HATE that word in this profession) need to be transparent with ranks and file members. Leadership 101.

- nobody likes internal politics, being micromanaged, or thrown under a bus.

- Senior management is clearly out of touch with rank & file. Seems to have created 2 different camps.

- Basic leadership would have noticed and rectified issues before they got this bad. Shouldn’t have taken a 186 page report.

Be kind. Be professional. Be transparent about organizational decisions and why those decisions are made. Same goes for decisions about individuals. Ask for input.

Take care of your troops, basically.

But the organization can only do so much. BC as a province needs to figure out some basics when it comes to sentencing & procedures.

Police can’t do much if judges & courts don’t do their jobs also.

911 stars again ....

911 dispatch apologizes to Victoria business after ignoring calls for help during COVID-19 protest​

Greater Victoria’s 911 dispatch service is apologizing to the staff of a downtown Starbucks after calls for help were ignored.

During a large anti-vaccine mandate protest on Saturday, management of a Starbucks across from B.C.’s legislature say unruly protesters entered the business unmasked and refused to leave.

Manager Rich Becker said his staff were being threatened and he believed they were in danger.

“They were directly in harm’s way,” said Becker.

Unwilling to physically remove the protesters himself, Becker called police twice. He says his calls for help were ignored and he was told to call the non-emergency line.

E-Comm, which manages 911 dispatch in Greater Victoria, admits that was a mistake.

After CTV News pressed Victoria police for answers about the 911 calls, E-Comm conducted an investigation of the incident.

“After reviewing both 911 calls, we can confirm that based on the situation the caller was describing, a police file should have been created,” said E-Comm spokesperson Jasmine Bradley.

“Unfortunately, this was not the case and the caller was incorrectly referred to the non-emergency line," Bradley added.

E-Comm and the Victoria police both apologized to Becker and his staff for the mistake. E-Comm says a 911 call was warranted and staff did the right thing by calling.

Becker says he will be back at the Starbucks all day on Saturday as another, possibly larger, anti-vaccine mandate rally is planned for the legislature.

Following a challenging day for Hotel Grand Pacific staff last Saturday, the manager there says the hotel will add extra security this Saturday.

“The hotel will be accessible for registered hotel guests only,” said general manager Reid James. “Our washrooms and parking lot will be closed to the public. Additional security will be in place.”

B.C. Premier John Horgan addressed the abuse that several Victoria businesses faced last week in an interview with CFAX 1070 radio Friday.

"My message to the protesters is, 'I hear you, but don’t take away other peoples' liberties to declare that yours are being abused,'" said Horgan.
Victoria Mayor Lisa Helps issued a statement Friday, asking protesters to be respectful and avoid harassing local businesses.

"As the capital city, we expect protests to take place and people to exercise their democratic right to gather and express their views," Helps said.
“However, emails from residents and businesses in the wake of last weekend’s protests show that some of the people involved in the protests went beyond the right to peacefully gather and infringed on the well-being and safety of others."

The mayor said the city received reports last weekend of people throwing eggs at homes that had signs up supporting health-care workers, as well as complaints of racist language among protesters.

911 stars again ....

911 dispatch apologizes to Victoria business after ignoring calls for help during COVID-19 protest​

Greater Victoria’s 911 dispatch service is apologizing to the staff of a downtown Starbucks after calls for help were ignored.

During a large anti-vaccine mandate protest on Saturday, management of a Starbucks across from B.C.’s legislature say unruly protesters entered the business unmasked and refused to leave.

Manager Rich Becker said his staff were being threatened and he believed they were in danger.

“They were directly in harm’s way,” said Becker.

Unwilling to physically remove the protesters himself, Becker called police twice. He says his calls for help were ignored and he was told to call the non-emergency line.

E-Comm, which manages 911 dispatch in Greater Victoria, admits that was a mistake.

After CTV News pressed Victoria police for answers about the 911 calls, E-Comm conducted an investigation of the incident.

“After reviewing both 911 calls, we can confirm that based on the situation the caller was describing, a police file should have been created,” said E-Comm spokesperson Jasmine Bradley.

“Unfortunately, this was not the case and the caller was incorrectly referred to the non-emergency line," Bradley added.

E-Comm and the Victoria police both apologized to Becker and his staff for the mistake. E-Comm says a 911 call was warranted and staff did the right thing by calling.

Becker says he will be back at the Starbucks all day on Saturday as another, possibly larger, anti-vaccine mandate rally is planned for the legislature.

Following a challenging day for Hotel Grand Pacific staff last Saturday, the manager there says the hotel will add extra security this Saturday.

“The hotel will be accessible for registered hotel guests only,” said general manager Reid James. “Our washrooms and parking lot will be closed to the public. Additional security will be in place.”

B.C. Premier John Horgan addressed the abuse that several Victoria businesses faced last week in an interview with CFAX 1070 radio Friday.

"My message to the protesters is, 'I hear you, but don’t take away other peoples' liberties to declare that yours are being abused,'" said Horgan.
Victoria Mayor Lisa Helps issued a statement Friday, asking protesters to be respectful and avoid harassing local businesses.

"As the capital city, we expect protests to take place and people to exercise their democratic right to gather and express their views," Helps said.
“However, emails from residents and businesses in the wake of last weekend’s protests show that some of the people involved in the protests went beyond the right to peacefully gather and infringed on the well-being and safety of others."

The mayor said the city received reports last weekend of people throwing eggs at homes that had signs up supporting health-care workers, as well as complaints of racist language among protesters.

One of my pals who is a Police Officer in Ontario asked me about Victoria because he is originally from Vancouver and was looking at the signing bonus on offer as a way to transfer and be closer to family.

My reply: There is a reason for a signing bonus and it's not because of the stellar work environment. You should look at Saanich or Oak Bay PD 😉

One of my pals who is a Police Officer in Ontario asked me about Victoria because he is originally from Vancouver and was looking at the signing bonus on offer as a way to transfer and be closer to family.

My reply: There is a reason for a signing bonus and it's not because of the stellar work environment. You should look at Saanich or Oak Bay PD 😉

Oak Bay's Chief just retired so there should be some kind of job ad out there.

Unless you're not looking forward to the pace of work 'behind the Tweed Curtain' (BYO pillow ;) ).

But yeah, you go ahead and de-fund the Police Victoria City. And these random attacks are even worse in Vancouver ...

Fatal-stabbing suspect in court for breach of bail conditions; victim remembered as a 'positive light'

The man killed in downtown Victoria on Tuesday has been identified as John Dickinson by his sister, who has started a fundraiser to bring her brother’s body back to their mother in Ontario.

John Dickinson has been identified by family as the man fatally stabbed in downtown Victoria on Tuesday, March 1, 2022. VIA FACEBOOK

A suspect in the fatal stabbing of a young man in downtown Victoria appeared in court Wednesday morning for allegedly breaching his bail conditions on an earlier charge of attempted murder.

The 28-year-old Royal Roads University student was arrested and detained Tuesday after the early-morning stabbing outside Lucky Bar on lower Yates Street.

He faces three charges in connection with a stabbing Feb. 6 on Lang Street. The attempted-murder charge alleges he stabbed his victim with one or more knives. He is also charged with committing aggravated assault and breaking and entering a locked bedroom in the Lang Street house.

Fatal-stabbing suspect in court for breach of bail conditions; victim remembered as a 'positive light'

Meanwhile, City Council still thinks the Police are beasts and should be defunded....

Surge of violent youth crime downtown, Victoria police say​

Large groups of youths have been coming into downtown on Friday and Saturday nights to drink and take drugs, police say. Some of the youths have been attacking strangers.

Victoria police say they are dealing with a surge in youth crime and violence downtown, including vandalism, assaults with weapons and random attacks on the elderly, homeless, business owners and passersby.

VicPD said in a statement large groups of youth from surrounding municipalities have begun coming into downtown on Friday and Saturday nights to consume alcohol and drugs.

Some nights, police said there have been 150 youth in groups of various sizes.

VicPD Patrol and Community Services Division officers have been responding to more than two dozen calls for violent offences, including assaults with weapons, attacks on the elderly and unhoused community and, in one case, the swarming of a police officer.

There have also been numerous reports of mischief, vandalism and property damage, as well as open consumption of alcohol and drugs by underage youth creating “medical incidents.”

Police noted some of the groups have started gathering on weekdays.

VicPD gave examples of what its officers have dealt with:

Friday, May 6

• A group of 100 youths were in the area of Government and Douglas streets, with some of them jumping on car roofs, kicking car doors and damaging transit signs.

• A couple were swarmed by a group of 20 youths in the 900 block of Douglas Street. The couple were randomly attacked, with youths grabbing one of the victims by the throat and striking her, while continuing to beat and kick the other member of the couple. The couple were able to break away and flee, calling 911 once they were safe. The couple suffered injuries which did not require medical attention.

• Officers were alerted to a group fighting near Douglas Street and Pandora Avenue. Youths surrounded and began harassing two unhoused people. During the confrontation, one of the unhoused persons struck one of the youths in the face with a flashlight and then fled.

The injured youth, who was intoxicated, suffered facial injuries. He declined medical treatment and was driven home to his Langford residence and released to a parent.

• Patrol officers were flagged down near View and Douglas streets for a youth who was lying in the road with hand injuries. Officers discovered a female youth, showing clear signs of intoxication and suffering non-life-threatening hand injuries.

As officers investigated, they learned she had been part of a group that swarmed and assaulted two people. One of the victims was struck in the face and both victims fled to a vehicle.

almost like the most vulnerable are in a different economic class that aren’t given much thought by the people who “know” better.

It seems like the citizens of Victoria are just experiencing things differently than Council.
One of my sailors stopped a knife attack a couple of days ago:

Shortly before 1 p.m. Monday afternoon, a man called 911 to report that he had just been approached by another man who had tried to stab him.

The incident occurred in the area of Blanshard and Hill Streets. The caller told dispatchers the unknown man approached him, then threatened him and brandished a weapon.

Remaining a distance away from the suspect, the caller relayed the suspect’s location to the 911 call taker. With that information, officers were able to locate the suspect and take him into custody at gunpoint.
This is also about 5% of the story....

What the story leaves out is after this knife wielding man tried to stab my sailor who successfully kept his distance, the assailant tried to approach an old man and stab him.

My sailor yelled at the old man who got in his car and locked the doors, he then chased the assailant (who ran away) for 15 minutes on a foot pursuit while talking to dispatchers and keeping them on the line.

At one point he lost the suspect who had ducked in to an alleyway but then saw him again (suspect had thrown his hat away and ditch his coat and clothes ), he had also ditched the knife). My sailor recognized him and continue to follow him.

Officers arrived about 20 minutes after the initial attack and took the suspect down at gunpoint. They also had a K9 unit arrive and the dog found the knife and additional clothing.

They took my Sailor's statement, arrested the assailant and left. Apparently the suspect had been released from jail the day before.

My sailor lives in the neighborhood and was walking and saw the same suspect yesterday apparently out on the streets again 🤣

You're all on your own and you better be prepared for a fight when it happens, 20 min for the cops to show up 😉

I'm nominating him for a commendation btw.

My spouse cannot wait to leave Victoria. She hates it here and hates working downtown. She also hates homeless people now. Funny considering she used to want to be a social worker LOL

One of my sailors stopped a knife attack a couple of days ago:

This is also about 5% of the story....

What the story leaves out is after this knife wielding man tried to stab my sailor who successfully kept his distance, the assailant tried to approach an old man and stab him.

My sailor yelled at the old man who got in his car and locked the doors, he then chased the assailant (who ran away) for 15 minutes on a foot pursuit while talking to dispatchers and keeping them on the line.

At one point he lost the suspect who had ducked in to an alleyway but then saw him again (suspect had thrown his hat away and ditch his coat and clothes ), he had also ditched the knife). My sailor recognized him and continue to follow him.

Officers arrived about 20 minutes after the initial attack and took the suspect down at gunpoint. They also had a K9 unit arrive and the dog found the knife and additional clothing.

They took my Sailor's statement, arrested the assailant and left. Apparently the suspect had been released from jail the day before.

My sailor lives in the neighborhood and was walking and saw the same suspect yesterday apparently out on the streets again 🤣

You're all on your own and you better be prepared for a fight when it happens, 20 min for the cops to show up 😉

I'm nominating him for a commendation btw.

My spouse cannot wait to leave Victoria. She hates it here and hates working downtown. She also hates homeless people now. Funny considering she used to want to be a social worker LOL

Holy crap...

Last edited:
Back