• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Vernon

2 companies of CLI is fine

If you insist on making a third, I suggest bringing back Bravo Company as a CLI company, maybe for just Adventure, or just for PERT/Rifle Coach

How many companies are there at Vernon and are the CLI courses full companies or just platoons within companies?

She didn't.  She went for basic and was going to be moved to CL but there was no space.

If you had only one summer to do one camp, and you wish to go further in the CF, I would suggest taking BPara over staff.  Just an opinion, but staffing 12-16 year olds for two months is a tiny experience that could be built up in the CF in a matter of days.

CLI wasn't full. The problem is too many people apply for Adventure and D&C. I think Rifle Coach ended up running at capacity, but PERT had a lot of space. Same with Band.

VACSTC has 33 platoons. 8 Companies. Half the Companies were four platoons, one was five, I have no idea how many Band is, and foxtrot is seven.

pi-r-squared said:
If you had only one summer to do one camp, and you wish to go further in the CF, I would suggest taking BPara over staff.   Just an opinion, but staffing 12-16 year olds for two months is a tiny experience that could be built up in the CF in a matter of days.

If Basic Para is actually an option it is definatly a worth while experience. I would hazard bet that the skills you learn and must maintain as a Staff Cadet would ebenfit you more in the long term. Self discipline that a staff cadet must have is a far cry from what a course cadet needs, and a totally different ballgame that basic para. The stresses you deal with are closer to what you'll encounter in life than para, and the constant need to be turned on is like nothing else.

Vernons Boring, I wish they would make it easier for pac region cadets to be able to go to camps in atlantic region etc. our only real choices are Vernon and whitehorse

also wish it was easier to do cross elemental trg. / be able to staff at the sea or air cadet camps, besides being in band

pi-r-squared said:
If you had only one summer to do one camp, and you wish to go further in the CF, I would suggest taking BPara over staff.  Just an opinion, but staffing 12-16 year olds for two months is a tiny experience that could be built up in the CF in a matter of days.
I disagree

Although being able to jump out of an airplane would be an amazing experience that equals nothing else in the world (and eventually I would like to do it), being a staff cadet at a camp with more responsibility will teach you more in the long term. If you plan on joining the military in a specific trade (for example: plumbing and heating technician) what good is a set of parachute wings going to do you? Although, if you had experience as a staff cadet, leading around 12-15 year olds for 6 weeks, expecting to have your platoon at a certain location by a certain time, that teaches you responsibility and how to properly plan your schedule to maximize your time.

Guard: 4 Pl
Alpha: 5 Pl
Bravo: 6 Pl (i think)
Charlie: 4 Pl
Delta: 4 Pl
Echo: 4Pl
Foxtrot: 7 Pl
HQ: 1 Pl (all staff cadets)

ouyin2000 said:
Guard: 4 Pl
Alpha: 5 Pl
Bravo: 6 Pl (i think)
Charlie: 4 Pl
Delta: 4 Pl
Echo: 4Pl
Foxtrot: 7 Pl
HQ: 1 Pl (all staff cadets)

To get picky, and I'm only doing this b/c I'm bored but Trg Coy and HQ Coy both had SCdts assigned to them, but they all come under the aspices of HQ CSM.

picky, eh....then Trg and HQ could be classified as the same ;)

I know what you mean by them being different, under the same CSM, the reason i said 1 Pl of SCdts is because of the number factor. Last summer there was maybe 20-25 SCdts in the entire HQ Coy, and no course cadets

It sounds like the companies are mixed courses i.e. mixing Adventure with PERT.

At Blackdown there are 11 companies Alpha through Kilo, with each company having 4 platoons. Each company is one course except for Juliet and Kilo which are band companies and they have Basics, CLs and CLIs in them.

ouyin2000 said:
picky, eh....then Trg and HQ could be classified as the same ;)

I know what you mean by them being different, under the same CSM, the reason i said 1 Pl of SCdts is because of the number factor. Last summer there was maybe 20-25 SCdts in the entire HQ Coy, and no course cadets

and with the stunning quality of HQ staff there was a lot of variation in those numbers, almost everyday it felt like!

I should have added, you're right about the mix

ACoy - Pioneer, PERT, Adv, RC
BCoy - Basic-CLI P&D, Basic-CLI Mil Band
CCoy-ECoy - CL
FCoy - Basic, Basic Marksman
GCoy - CLI D&C

If there were two Basic Coys it would be (or as it stands now)

Coy 1 - Basic
Coy 2 - Basic Band, P&D, and Marksman

(by course length)

I'm not sure about this part, but I believe the idea was that the Basic Cadets in the second coy would be with their Coy staff for GMT training/citizenship/time off etc, and then tunred over respectivly to Range or the school of music where applicable in their training timetable. At first I thought that sounded really complicated from a logistical sense, but there are a lot of really underutilized staff cadets in Bravo that might see more action in this scenario.

As it stands today BCoy could loose 1/5 of its staff, in my opinion, and operate just as well if not better than it currently does.

The problem is again.  People who do para tend to come across with an "I'm better than you" attitude which does piss off their peers.

Dane said:
and with the stunning quality of HQ staff there was a lot of variation in those numbers, almost everyday it felt like!
too true...we had a staff cadet who was in every company except for Guard. The quickest change was when they were transferred into Band Coy, and 24 hours later was transferred back to HQ

Vernon's not that boring.  Whitehorse is boring and cold.  Your mess is a mod tent where the mosquitos eat you alive.

I'm thinking that We should all go to Whitehorse and get chewed alive!! *note the sarcasm*. Thats one of the reasons I love Vernon.....no bugs! :D

no bugs...snicker, I live an hr. away from vernon, the reason I say its boring is because ive spent 3 of my summers there, and id like a change of scenery...oh and venture a little further than an hrs drive away from my house. and...
I speak for any Cdt who has been to Vernon for at least two summers (who doesnt have NSCE)
whom wants to see more than just vernon and whitehorse, or want to go to camps in eastern canada (that isnt to do with marksmanship)
how about an army cdt. doing a course/staffing at quadra or alberthead and vice versa, besides the usual air cdts we get at vernon who are Only here because there in the band.
Edit: and the 5 or so francophones from quebec who do the CLI series courses

Edit: I realize that that theoretically you could write down any camp on your application, but how about some of it actually happening

Back