• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Updated Army Service Dress project

I’m
Absolute rubbish.

If you cannot be bothered to know what right looks like with your personal drill, dress, or deportment how can you be expected to achieve excellence when it counts? If you aren't reading the dress regs, standing orders, or are able to hunt down the policies needed for admin stuff; you're tipping your hand thar you aren't reading B-GL-× on doctrine, training, or any other number of important references in the performance of your duties.

I treat it the same as Van Halen did with their concert rider: they didn't give fuck about there being a bowl of only brown M&Ms on the table; they put it in there to see which promoters actually reas their rider. If they glossed over the M&Ms, did they do so with stage setup, pyrotechnics, or any other important detail that would have caused the show to suck or possibly get them hurt or sued.

If you're showing up out of dress, you didn't take the time to do your homework; that doesn't breed trust for me as either a superior or a subordinate.
i have 3 governing documents to read. Not one of them covers dress. I’m pretty sure I can manage to study those while some how not fussing over my DEUs.

Casual reminder that the British repay their members for mess dress expenses.

i have 3 governing documents to read. Not one of them covers dress. I’m pretty sure I can manage to study those while some how not fussing over my DEUs.

Casual reminder that the British repay their members for mess dress expenses .

Sorry what is the context of your comment? It's been a few months since I have seen this topic.

I sometimes wonder how the CDS is able to walk straight, without leaning to the left due to all the metal and other insignia. If he stands still, does he hold on to the podium to keep himself steady? Is there a counter weight on the right side of his tunic to balance everything?

When you're retired you can think about these things because your head is not filled up with military work stuff.

Why are you issuing kit that needs to be modified before wearing? How about issuing the medals with a mount that can fit with other medals or stand alone?
Medal mounting is a bit of an art. If I was good at arts and crafts, I would probably have my own medal mounting business. It is important to remember that the entire rack has to be redone every time a medal is added.

I’m

Casual reminder that the British repay their members for mess dress expenses.

Um... not really. Not when I was there anyways.

I got a one time payment of a 'clothing allowance' after I passed out of Sandhurst.

It covered about 70% of what I actually had to pay out for Mess Kit and Service Dress and Sam Browne Belts etc etc.

Any other expenses related to tailoring or replacement etc, for the remainder of my career, were paid for by me.

Um... not really. Not when I was there anyways.

I got a one time payment of a 'clothing allowance' after I passed out of Sandhurst.

It covered about 70% of what I actually had to pay out for Mess Kit and Service Dress and Sam Browne Belts etc etc.

Any other expenses related to tailoring or replacement etc, for the remainder of my career, were paid for by me.
Well I’m just going off the three exchanges officers I’ve met in the last three years who were al aghast we paid for our own mess kit, and their explanations as to how they got theirs paid for.

Well I’m just going off the three exchanges officers I’ve met in the last three years who were al aghast we paid for our own mess kit, and their explanations as to how they got theirs paid for.

Hopefully, they’ve upped the allowance!

The Australians wear foreign decorations ”immediately after all Australian honours or awards, in the order of date of approval to wear”

So presumably the CD was the first of those medals authorized for wear.

I've seen a few similar groups and there's lots of different interpretations of the rules. In this case, it would appear that the CD was treated as a 'Commonwealth/foreign decoration' - although it's really a medal, thus prioritized over the others. Most other situations I've seen where a Canadian moves to another Commonwealth country, the order of the Canadian awards stays intact (UN, NATO awards classified as 'Canadian') and the CD placement remains.

If they are your medals and you are retired, do what you want with them.
Yes and no. The GG's office still sets the rules and guidelines for all Canadian Honours including the Order of Precedence, methods of wear, etc.

For some awards, such as the Order of Canada and Order of Military Merit, the insignia remains property of the Crown and cannot be sold for profit and can only be passed on to family, museums, etc as heirlooms.

No
Yes and no. The GG's office still sets the rules and guidelines for all Canadian Honours including the Order of Precedence, methods of wear, etc.

For some awards, such as the Order of Canada and Order of Military Merit, the insignia remains property of the Crown and cannot be sold for profit and can only be passed on to family, museums, etc as heirlooms.

And what are the consequences for not following Rideau Hall's regulations with regard to regular decorations?

Back