• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Unique Regimental Traditions

Careful.  In the current climate, this conversation is likely to see rebadging to bring back the Oxfords and Perths.

Old EO Tech said:
Both the GGF and GF were Perth's, And I grew up in the area.  It is a fact that although the Perth Capbadge hangs above the parade square in the armouries, the Perth's Battle Honours were never given to the RCR, the Perth's decided to retire them rather than be amalgamated into another Regt.

That has spiteful Honouraries & Senates written all over it. I'll also bet that even though they retired them, they still celebrate them. ;)

recceguy said:
That has spiteful Honouraries & Senates written all over it. I'll also bet that even though they retired them, they still celebrate them. ;)

Judging by this one FB group I'd say there is lots of pride still in the Fighting Perth's

https://www.facebook.com/groups/500239686718601/

Old EO Tech said:
Judging by this one FB group I'd say there is lots of pride still in the Fighting Perth's

https://www.facebook.com/groups/500239686718601/

I'm sure there are. However, that was not the point of my comment.

Old EO Tech said:
Both the GGF and GF were Perth's, And I grew up in the area.  It is a fact that although the Perth Capbadge hangs above the parade square in the armouries, the Perth's Battle Honours were never given to the RCR, the Perth's decided to retire them rather than be amalgamated into another Regt.

The Perrths had been subjected to an earlier amalgamation that did not work out, this may have contributed to the decision to place them on the Supplementary Order of Battle:

http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dhh-dhp/his/ol-lo/vol-tom-3/par2/pr-eng.asp

On 1 October 1954, it was amalgamated with the 'Highland Light Infantry of Canada' and redesignated 'The Perth and Waterloo Regiment (Highland Light Infantry of Canada)'. On 1 April 1957, these two regiments ceased to be amalgamated and resumed their former designations. It was reduced to nil strength and transferred to the Supplementary Order of Battle on 28 February 1965.

MCG said:
....this conversation is likely to see rebadging to bring back the Oxfords and Perths.

The Oxford Rifles?  Highly unlikely.  They've been gone since 1954.  The Perth Regiment?  Well, they removed The Halifax Rifles from the Supplementary Order of Battle, so anything's possible.

I can remember that there was still a former Perth Regiment officer serving with us in 4RCR while I was there (1977-80).  His name was Tom Soper and he was a Captain parading out of Stratford.  At the regimental dinners when the regimental march of the Perth's was played, he'd jump to attention.  It was from The Perth Regiment that 4RCR acquired its Pipes and Drums.

Cheers,
Dan.

PS:  Am I the only one who doesn't know what GGF and GF stand for?

Old EO Tech said:
....the Perth's Battle Honours were never given to the RCR....

I don't recall The RCR ever asking that the Honours be given.

Old EO Tech said:
....the Perth's decided to retire them rather than be amalgamated into another Regt.

True.  The Perth Regiment elected to be placed on the Supplementary Order of Battle rather than face amalgamation.  But maybe if the Perth's had chosen amalgamation with another Regiment, those Honours would still be celebrated today.

Cheers,
Dan.

PS: Thanks Mike.

George Wallace said:
Reviving an old topic.

Here is episode one of an old BBC series that looks into the traditions found in British units, and helps to explain the reasons and origins of some military traditions:

Great link George, I watched these yesterday while recovering from my turkey hangover.

Interesting to note that, since this was filmed in 1989, almost none of these Regiments exist anymore.  There lineage is maintained by the current Regiments of the British Army, most of whom date from 1994 or 2006.  It is a bit odd that the oldest Regiment of the Line in the British Army is the Parachute Regiment (the Guards, however, still have centuries of unbroken service).  Low and behold, the British Army still exists and is an excellent fighting organization today, regardless of where the Emperor's Chamber Pot resides.

Infanteer said:
Low and behold, the British Army still exists and is an excellent fighting organization today, regardless of where the Emperor's Chamber Pot resides.

Indeed, recently visited the Scottish National War Memorial. There are many regimental Honour Rolls that are now closed but the Royal Regiment of Scotland's (est.  2006) honour roll is not empty.

Infanteer said:
Great link George, I watched these yesterday while recovering from my turkey hangover.

Interesting to note that, since this was filmed in 1989, almost none of these Regiments exist anymore.  There lineage is maintained by the current Regiments of the British Army, most of whom date from 1994 or 2006.  It is a bit odd that the oldest Regiment of the Line in the British Army is the Parachute Regiment (the Guards, however, still have centuries of unbroken service).  Low and behold, the British Army still exists and is an excellent fighting organization today, regardless of where the Emperor's Chamber Pot resides.

Largely because the Paras are so obnoxious that the Hats couldn't stand sharing a regiment with them (or survive the NAAFI brawls)  ;D

Back