• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Unique Regimental Traditions

PPCLI Guy said:
We eat our weak.

Does that count?

No, but you should start counting the calories and fat intake from what you are eating  ;D ;D ;D

245SiegeBtyRCA said:
It is tradition that  the Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery when on parade is taken over while standing at ease vice at attention.

It is said that the tradition derives following the Battle of Waterloo when Lord Wellington arrived to inspect the guns, the gunners were completely worn out from their efforts that he had them remain at ease. 

Does the Gunnery instructors still wear the old khaki forage cap with a red band?

Haggis said:
1 RCR used that "stomp" in the mid/late 70's.  Don't know exactly when it died, but when I went to the Hill (the pre ski-mask one) in '81 I was a treated as a drill heretic in the eyes of a certain Patrica Sgt-Maj.

Baumgarten?

Pte D. Krystal said:
For some reason, we do both a PPCLI right dress and an RCR halt.
Any RCR's know when that halt was added to your drill? I'm curious whether it started with you or it came along with all the RHC guys when the two RegF battalions were reduced to nil strength.
The Watch does not do an RCR Halt.
They use a "drag step" and that has everything to do with the wearing of a kilt.
Regular halt has the kilt going all over the place. The drag keeps the hem down

Engineer traditions?
- 1st into trouble & last one out
- Scruffy sapper
- No Regimental colours (cause they don't make officers big enough to carry a flag big enough to carry all the battle honours we'd be entitled to wear)
- Modesty above all............. ;)

geo said:
Regular halt has the kilt going all over the place. The drag keeps the hem down

First off, anyone making the obvious 'drag' joke gets to swallow their teeth.  ;D

Aside from that, I've always kind of figured that flying kilts were why we always get such a good audience for our parades. Some priorities must be maintained. But on a serious note, I've not found the kilt to really go up too much on a normal halt- the material is quite heavy. If it does, well, so be it. I'm pretty sure the supreme court would rule it as 'art'.  :P

thinking about it, I would venture to say that the RCR adopted the "drag step" when the took in the 1st and 2nd Bn, Black Watch in 1968.

Brihard.... no need to be testy about the drag thing...... it is what it is.

geo said:
- No Regimental colours (cause they don't make officers big enough to carry a flag big enough to carry all the battle honours we'd be entitled to wear)
I thought "Ubique" said it all?

:salute:

Ayup.....
Ubique to the Engineers = everywhere

Ubique to the Gunners = all over the place

:warstory:

Michael O'Leary said:
The Perth Regiment connection is an informal one, based on the number of troops that joined the 3rd Battalion in 1965 when the perths were disbanded.

There was some bitterness in not being recognized in the "new" name. T Coy, 4 RCR still considered itself Perthish when I joined in 1973 and always maintained a bit of an independent streak. Stratford was always 'The Perth Garrison" as well, as in "Perth Garrison Offers' Mess", even afterward. And I believe that it was more of a rebadging than a "number of troops that joined the 3rd Battalion". Same Armoury, same guys.

The Oxford Rifles contingent died out at the end of the sixties or beginning of the seventies with the closure of the Woodstock Armoury and disbandment of the Woodstock company. Some of those guys continued to parade in Stratford, and we always seemed to be able to recruit more in Woodstock than in Stratford during my time.

Funny that the title continues the name of county in which the unit maintains no presence, and ignores the one in which it does. It should be more like "4 RCR (Perth, London, and Oxford Regiment)".

... if we were to expand this thread to discuss CF traditions, we could examine the three traditions of the Royal Navy...

Although we've abandonned the lash, we're attempting to reduce alcohol consumption... I guess there's only one left!

Loachman said:
There was some bitterness in not being recognized in the "new" name. T Coy, 4 RCR still considered itself Perthish when I joined in 1973 and always maintained a bit of an independent streak. Stratford was always 'The Perth Garrison" as well, as in "Perth Garrison Offers' Mess", even afterward. And I believe that it was more of a rebadging than a "number of troops that joined the 3rd Battalion". Same Armoury, same guys.

The Oxford Rifles contingent died out at the end of the sixties or beginning of the seventies with the closure of the Woodstock Armoury and disbandment of the Woodstock company. Some of those guys continued to parade in Stratford, and we always seemed to be able to recruit more in Woodstock than in Stratford during my time.

Funny that the title continues the name of county in which the unit maintains no presence, and ignores the one in which it does. It should be more like "4 RCR (Perth, London, and Oxford Regiment)".

Actually, 4 RCR dropped "The London and Oxford Fusiliers" in 1989, so it is simply known as "the 4th Battalion, the Royal Canadian Regiment" with no reference to location.
Also, effective this past September, Stratford is no longer T Coy, but is simply 3 Pl, S Coy.

JDB said:
Also, effective this past September, Stratford is no longer T Coy, but is simply 3 Pl, S Coy.
I'll have to update my Regimental Catechism

JDB said:
Actually, 4 RCR dropped "The London and Oxford Fusiliers" in 1989, so it is simply known as "the 4th Battalion, the Royal Canadian Regiment" with no reference to location.

you must be joking?
that's horrible.
we were a little bit more then a platoon when I was there I know that for a fact!
Greg

Definitely revolting. T Coy always set the standard for the rest of the battalion to struggle and match.

If anything, the rest of the battalion should have become a platoon of T Coy.

damn straight! I was a tango tiger, not a seirria shit head haha.
now all this talk of royals, and you forget one thing of royals! DRAMBUIE! what's wrong with all my fellow pro pat boys?!? I know I'll be putting that down range next saturday.
Greg

Reviving an old topic.

Here is episode one of an old BBC series that looks into the traditions found in British units, and helps to explain the reasons and origins of some military traditions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W11BbX06_og

Episode two:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvkxFwpmvTI

Episode three:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_qmO8EONJw

Episode four:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXKp9zowCVQ

Episode five:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfQsOfaVm48

Episode six:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Dyd5sdjGWQ

Loachman said:

Both the GGF and GF were Perth's, And I grew up in the area.  It is a fact that although the Perth Capbadge hangs above the parade square in the armouries, the Perth's Battle Honours were never given to the RCR, the Perth's decided to retire them rather than be amalgamated into another Regt.

Back