• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Trudeau Popularity - or not. Nanos research

HIJACK

The OAS at 68.3Billion and rising. 6-10B going to the wealthy annually. That's literally 100x higher than the sum of ArriveCan and gun buyback scandals every single year, AND RISING. Hell including the 40m MetoWe stood to be paid for that scandal is a rounding error.

Scandals are draw the eye and ire of the populace, and are excellent politically because they can be universally panned. But real fiscal responsibility comes with hard discussions. The decision to reverse the raise from 65 to 67 and to put a non-mean tested 10% boost to OAS over 75 are far more impactful on our bottom line than all the scandals and snafu's combined.
OAS should be heavily means tested, improved for those who need it, and slashed for those who don’t. Those of us with defined benefit pensions that aren’t coordinated with OAS likely have no need of it. It should exist to keep seniors out of poverty; not to add an additional unearned boost to the retirement incomes of relatively wealthy pensioners.

OAS is means tested. We had a onetime capital gain in 2022 tax year and each (income splitting) paid back a considerable sum of OAS overpayments, plus both had OAS monthly reductions for 12 months ending July 2023.

OAS is means tested. We had a onetime capital gain in 2022 tax year and each (income splitting) paid back a considerable sum of OAS overpayments, plus both had OAS monthly reductions for 12 months ending July 2023.
Yes it is, but not nearly enough. Why are seniors with an income of $81k receiving full OAS? Why is someone making $110k a year still getting half the maximum OAS?

Divert the OAS partly to low income seniors, not those of us who have comfortable and safe retirement plans/savings. Scrap some of it to the amount that it makes sense to as a net spending reduction.

Diverting transfers away from people that don't need them to increase transfers to people that do need them is worthwhile, but it doesn't fix the spending problem. And what we have is a spending problem, not a revenue problem.

The Fiscal Reference Tables are always there providing an overview.
That’s why the last sentence of my reply is there.

That’s why the last sentence of my reply is there.
Seen, but this came up a few pages earlier (or maybe it was another thread) and I estimate that the need of low-income seniors would consume every penny we took from high-income seniors and that we still ought to try to find more money for the former.

Hmm. Not what I was expecting. I suspect the latest abacus poll on Friday was possibly not included? Not sure.

CPC and NDP drop with LPC looking to have taken to gains.

But there is still a wide margin with the CPC well ahead and in majority territory.
Fairly within the margin of error. I'm not going to worry about a small fluctuation in points up or down. That's going to keep happening until the election, depending on the wind. The CPC is still at 99% for a majority.

If you look to the right of the search box, at Federal Polls, it'll tell you what polls were used to get the numbers.

The Abacus data is from 7 April.

Yes it is, but not nearly enough. Why are seniors with an income of $81k receiving full OAS? Why is someone making $110k a year still getting half the maximum OAS?

Divert the OAS partly to low income seniors, not those of us who have comfortable and safe retirement plans/savings. Scrap some of it to the amount that it makes sense to as a net spending reduction.
91k for 2024

Wow. I was using 2022 figures from a quick google. I didn’t think for a second it would have jumped $10k in two years.
I had the same reaction. I also had it when I saw the means testing was individual, whereas both CCB and GIS are by household/couple.

It's been top of mind since someone posted the article late 2023. I don't know what frustrates me more- that the waste exists or that it's being slept on as an issue in favour of chasing comparative pennies.

Canada's Independent Foreign Policy - For The Win

Joly says she told Israel’s Foreign Minister Israel Katz to “take the win” of having stopped Iranian airstrikes and to not respond with a direct attack on Iran.

“You got a win. Take the win,” Mr Biden reportedly told Mr Netanyahu, adding that the US will not participate in any offensive operations. Mr Netanyahu reportedly said that he understands the US’s position.

Canada's Independent Foreign Policy - For The Win

We have our own national Mini-Me it seems ;)

austinpowers GIF

"Take the win." F*cking cavalier politicians with cream of wheat in the brain case.

What if it hadn't been a f*cking win? Part of the reason for a response is to deter, in case the next round might not be a "win".

Joly's comment is a very Canadian thing to say. It's the root of why we are now a weak and unserious protectorate.

Joly's comment is a very Canadian thing to say. It's the root of why we are now a weak and unserious protectorate.

Canada really is a shit hole country. It used to be a great place to live if you were average and mediocre. Now I just think it's a great place to live if you're a loser. No one speaks coherent English anymore and the country is filling up with unhireables. The Liberals f*ck everything up, and then it takes hard work and shaky Conservative governments to fix things. We're at the point now where additional debt is going to start affecting Canada's credit rating, I can't wait to see how much the unborn will owe to debt repayment.

Canada really is a shit hole country. It used to be a great place to live if you were average and mediocre. Now I just think it's a great place to live if you're a loser. No one speaks coherent English anymore and the country is filling up with unhireables. The Liberals f*ck everything up, and then it takes hard work and shaky Conservative governments to fix things. We're at the point now where additional debt is going to start affecting Canada's credit rating, I can't wait to see how much the unborn will owe to debt repayment.
Then get the fuck out and go live somewhere else. Have you ever seen an actual "shithole" country? What kind of fantastical hyperbolic bullshit statement is this? This country has issues, but what country doesn't? I love this country and the people in it (well, most of the people...). We still rank extremely high in every metric compared to the vast vast majority of the world.

"Take the win." F*cking cavalier politicians with cream of wheat in the brain case.

What if it hadn't been a f*cking win? Part of the reason for a response is to deter, in case the next round might not be a "win".
If it hadn't been a win, then a retaliation would be far more justifiable and necessary.

This was a deterrent. Iran was just shown two important things:

1. that a huge volley of its most sophisticated weapons are useless again Israel; and
2. That Iran's Arab neighbors are not going to sit idly by while they start shit, with Israel no less.

The results of this failed attack are going to have a huge impact into Iran calculous going forward.

So, she said the same thing the US said. Does that mean the US is also a week and unserious protectorate?

If it hadn't been a win, then a retaliation would be far more justifiable and necessary.
Biden threatened to pull some of the aid/funding that contributes to Israel's anti-missile/rocket defences a while back. Israel can't assume that Iran isn't trying to draw down its ammunition stockpile and can't assume that the US has its back indefinitely, so Israel will have to show that it has more than a purely defensive option. One run of a scenario is never enough for conclusions.

Back