• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Trudeau Popularity - or not. Nanos research

Substantively reinforced in Canada by Trudeau and his branding team. The colour of the shirt he wore to a movie with his son would have been immaterial if he hadn’t made it yet again a branding opportunity to show Canadians how with it and in tune he is with the times, and how supportive he remains of women (other than those who run afoul of his wishes/demands).
The be fair; however, I note that the leader of the Conservative party has recently changed his appearance, some would say 'softened' and just this morning I saw a TV ad purportedly from his wife saying how wonderful he is.

Conclusion: they all do it and they all have 'branding teams'. Spin, image and 'likeability' always trump policy.

The be fair; however, I note that the leader of the Conservative party has recently changed his appearance, some would say 'softened' and just this morning I saw a TV ad purportedly from his wife saying how wonderful he is.

Conclusion: they all do it and they all have 'branding teams'. Spin, image and 'likeability' always trump policy.
And on that note.

Here is the latest 338 polling data indicating that the CPC messaging and tone change is having an effect.

One seat away on the seat count to be in majority territory.

My take aways:

1. PPs change of image and tone is making him more appealing as a leader and alternative
2. the new tv ads are pretty slick and are designed to solidify the lead they have
3. The LPC cabinet change hasn’t done much to reset confidence in them

Predictions.

1. I think the LPC has kept their powder dry on the attack front. I suspect they may start that earlier than they wanted to (ie saving it for the campaign trail when they have the funds to do that). They will try and bait. That could backfire for a lot of reasons.
2. Expect a roll out of new spending on economic issues. We’ve seen a few but I expect a ramp up this fall.
3. There could be talk of replacing Trudeau. Not saying that is happening or that it will happen but that talk may start to make some headway in the public domain if the polls keep widening. He’s clearly the biggest liability right now.

I tend to agree here. 50% of married couples end in divorce. It’s normal and common. Kids adapt well enough.
Do they? My observations say differently. There are often, frequently, more than half, I won't be specific 'cause I can't, scars. Sometimes they recover and sometimes they don't. Divorce hurts. It produces as much or more hurt than does a death in the immediate family regardless of how we rationalize otherwise.

And on that note.

Here is the latest 338 polling data indicating that the CPC messaging and tone change is having an effect.

My take aways:

1. PPs change of image and tone is making him more appealing as a leader and alternative
2. the new tv ads are pretty slick and are designed to solidify the lead they have

Predictions.

1. I think the LPC has kept their powder dry on the attack front. I suspect they may start that earlier than they wanted to (ie saving it for the campaign trail when they have the funds to do that). They will try and bait. That could backfire for a lot of reasons.
2. Expect a roll out of new spending on economic issues. We’ve seen a few but I expect a ramp up this fall.
3. There could be talk of replacing Trudeau. Not saying that is happening or that it will happen but that talk may start to make some headway in the public domain if the polls keep widening. He’s clearly the biggest liability right now.
I know that I have gone on about this before but I do wonder if Singh's caucus may revolt in order to salvage something from a left wing massacre.

Do they? My observations say differently. There are often, frequently, more than half, I won't be specific 'cause I can't, scars. Sometimes they recover and sometimes they don't. Divorce hurts. It produces as much or more hurt than does a death in the immediate family regardless of how we rationalize otherwise.
That’s a fair point.

I know that I have gone on about this before but I do wonder if Singh's caucus may revolt in order to salvage something from a left wing massacre.
They may want to but likely are aware of their financial situation as a party. And the last things they want is a CPC gvt where they will have no sway.

Is there an NDP leader waiting in the wings? Not sure I see anyone capable or willing to take Singh’s spot.

The radical elements may not care but I’m not sure they have enough to pull off a revolt.

They may want to but likely are aware of their financial situation as a party. And the last things they want is a CPC gvt where they will have no sway.

Is there an NDP leader waiting in the wings? Not sure I see anyone capable or willing to take Singh’s spot.

The radical elements may not care but I’m not sure they have enough to pull off a revolt.
Their leader now is an apologist for the liberal party as seen by the public so a palace revolt wouldn't change much except maybe give them some self-respect. With the numbers dropping off for the libs they will be getting significant negative feedback from their home ridings and those are the people they depend on to pad their pensions and not Singh. He won't be around after the next election regardless

Their leader now is an apologist for the liberal party as seen by the public so a palace revolt wouldn't change much except maybe give them some self-respect. With the numbers dropping off for the libs they will be getting significant negative feedback from their home ridings and those are the people they depend on to pad their pensions and not Singh. He won't be around after the next election regardless
Possibly. However their popular vote trend and seat projection is fairly much the same since the last election. Even now they would only lose three seats if held today. Would a leadership change be called before an election? I’m doubtful. I see no rising star for them. And he has the street cred to show he was able to push an NDP agenda. But losing any ground next election will likely see calls for change in the NDP no doubt.

I completely expected Poilievre's new family-oriented ads to blow up in his face due to the timing. It felt like it was done in response to Trudeaus separation which seemed really crass.

I completely expected Poilievre's new family-oriented ads to blow up in his face due to the timing. It felt like it was done in response to Trudeaus separation which seemed really crass.
Interesting take. I hadn’t thought of that. I doubt that was timed though and probably one of coincidence. I saw them as more of a get to know the guy kind of thing as part of a larger makeover (tone, dress and messaging style).

If it was actually done that way I agree with you.

If it was done for that reason, have to agree. Part of me, though, thinks the softening initiative was in preparation well before the separation.

If it was done for that reason, have to agree. Part of me, though, thinks the softening initiative was in preparation well before the separation.
Jarnhammer offers some food for thought though. I just found an article where Nick Nanos agrees with him that the timing was intentional. The ad though, was likely prepared well in advance due to its fairly high quality and as you say part of the image makeover.

I’ll stay with my original thought that this may be coincidental but there is merit in the argument that it is not.

The ad though, was likely prepared well in advance due to its fairly high quality and as you say part of the image makeover.
That's probably accurate. However, the CPC could have delayed the launch and use of the ads in order to show sensitivity to JTs marital turmoil. This may come back to bite them.

I don't think that word means what you think it means. I've checked a bunch of dictionaries, and none of them define "crass" as 'ingenious subtle dig at a most opportune time'. You think for one second Team JT wouldn't have unleashed all their hell hounds if the glass slipper was on the other foot?

And on that note.

My take aways:

Predictions.

No doubt that it can be effective and, by your numbers, seems to be. My sole point was that such maneuvering, spinning and image management is not the exclusive domain of any one side of the spectrum.

Trudeau should hold on at least until the recession kicks in…

Harper was past his best before date in 2015 and lost the election.

Scheer was Stockwell Day hopeless in 2019, but reduced the government to a minority.

O'Toole held ground despite massive federal spending in 2021.

All this to say, my non-scientific assessment is that in the past three federal elections, the CPC lost two, and the LPC maintained a minority in one by printing money.

Interesting take. I hadn’t thought of that. I doubt that was timed though and probably one of coincidence. I saw them as more of a get to know the guy kind of thing as part of a larger makeover (tone, dress and messaging style).

If it was actually done that way I agree with you.
check the recording dates. I believe they were canned several weeks ago

Do you have objective evidence that this is true, or are you simply projecting your own disdain for the NDP and what you want to be true?

I think pretty much anyone who’s at all honest about Canadian politics recognizes that there would have to be a tectonic shift for NDP to form government. They’re perpetually an opposition party but almost never the opposition party. The NDP’s ability to deliver its platform to voters stems entirely from its ability to influence legislation. At present, the ability to prop up a Liberal minority places them in the best realistic position to do so.

I think NDP voters will, by and large, see their success in some of the social programs that have been rolled out. Clearly the supply and confidence agreement is one of quid pro quo, and through it the NDP are achieving things they’d be very unlikely to achieve otherwise. Supporting the LPC, for a price, is pure pragmatism and sound politics for a party in their position.

You’re not the NDP’s target audience, but you’ve calibrated your opinion as if you are. That’s an error.

Back