• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The M113A3 is going to Afghanistan

Status
Not open for further replies.
The M113A3 has gone through a while refit new powerpacks,drive train,driver systems,extra length and road wheel, as well some have had the turrets off of the grizzly placed on them from what I have heard they are pretty good here are the new variants

M113A3 Personnel carrier with Remote Weapon System (RWS)
M113A3 Personnel carrier with One Metre Turret
M113A3 Mobile Repair Team
M577A3 Command Post
MTVL Basic Personnel Carrier / Light Re-supply
MTVC Heavy Re-supply
MTVE Engineer Vehicle
MTVF Fitter (Repair) Vehicle
MTVR Recovery Vehicle

The A3 is the NEWER...one...with the turret from the old grizzlies!!!

Yea..and all those other mods that he said.... ;D

If you go to the link below and look under equipment you will find pics and info about the M113A3

www.army.forces.gc.ca

I found the folowing info about the refit

The M113 is being refurbished and upgraded into nine new variants of mechanized support vehicles. The role of the new M113 variants is to provide the Army with combat support and combat service support vehicles to augment the new LAV III fleet. A total of 289 vehicles are being upgraded. The remaining M113s will be declared surplus.

The scope of the upgrade includes new engines, transmissions and drive trains; the provision of add-on armour; and the stretching of 147 vehicles to increase their capacity and mobility. The M113's original power pack provided a maximum of 210 horsepower, which limited the mobility and carrying capacity of the vehicle. A new power pack will be installed in all the refurbished vehicles, which will provide a maximum of 400 horsepower. In addition to increasing mobility and cargo capacity, this upgrade in power will also allow an upgraded armour package to be installed on the vehicle. This will greatly enhance the protection afforded to Army soldiers deployed on overseas missions.

Delivery of the upgraded M113s started in 2001, and will continue in stages. Final delivery will be complete by 2006. It is anticipated that the upgraded M113s will be in service until 2020

Does anybody know exactly how many of these vehicles were actually refit and, more importantly, how many of the infantry models are serviceable?

ProPatria Mike said:
Does anybody know exactly how many of these vehicles were actually refit and, more importantly, how many of the infantry models are serviceable?
Yes, and three.

everyone. The media does NOT need to know this stuff, because Timmie doesn't need to know it. I don't care how Open Source it may be.

If Mike wants to wallow in his ignorance, and display it to the world, let him. The more detailed you get in shooting down his silly rant, the more details you give the carrion-feeders in the press, and the more details they will then send over the MSM, informing Timmie as to EXACTLY what's coming his way. That's bad.

He doesn't need to know how many variants of anything are in theatre. Nobody outside of theatre, and those supporting them here, do.

He can choose to believe the serving pers on these boards, or he can choose to belive the jackals and vultures in the press.

Heh....
I knew all those freshly serviced and painted turrets were going to be used for something good.  The old Grizzly & Cougar carcasses are all parked there - topless, sort of :) while the turrets looked all shiny & sort of new.....
So... this explains that I guess.

From the BAE / Uniteddefense.com

The M113A3 was type classified Standard. All new APC vehicles produced since 1987 and all converted vehicles since 1989 are the A3 variant. Vehicles have been fielded both in the U.S. and in foreign countries. The M113A3 was initially fielded in 1987 and U.S. production of new M113A3s was completed in 1992. M113A3s are currently being produced for Thailand as a direct sale. Conversion of M113A2 vehicles to M113A3 vehicles has been underway at BAE Systems since 1994.

Mobile Tactical Vehicle Light (MTVL) - the latest derivative of the M113 line of armored carriers – is available as a new vehicle or as a conversion.  It offers exceptional automotive performance, substantial payload capacity and a large tailorable interior.  Benefiting from the latest simulation and optimization techniques, its cross-country mobility exceeds that of virtually anything in its class.  MTVL features an upgraded powertrain with a 400 hp 6V53TIA electronically controlled engine and a reconfigured suspension geometry giving it more than 15 inches of roadwheel travel.  Using M113 common components ensures high reliability, availability and maintainability – plus a proven design, common maintenance techniques and an established logistics support base.  As with all M113 variants, it is roll-on/roll-off transportable on a C-130.  Backed by more than 30 years experience and a world class support team, MTVL is an affordable, supportable solution for the light combat/tactical vehicle role.

super26 said:
The M113A3 has gone through a while refit new powerpacks,drive train,driver systems,extra length and road wheel, as well some have had the turrets off of the grizzly placed on them from what I have heard they are pretty good here are the new variants

These are not stretched and still look like the A2's except for the turret and the trim vane is gone
M113A3 Personnel carrier with Remote Weapon System (RWS)
M113A3 Personnel carrier with One Metre Turret
M113A3 Mobile Repair Team
M577A3 Command Post

These are have an extra set of road wheels
MTVL Basic Personnel Carrier / Light Re-supply
MTVC Heavy Re-supply
MTVE Engineer Vehicle
MTVF Fitter (Repair) Vehicle
MTVR Recovery Vehicle

And some FYI the T-LAVS and M113 A3's are not swimable.

von Garvin said:
But they do have limited flight capability.

Yeah, the same aerodynamics as a stone  ;D

Well, being "air droppaple" as a descriptor is not enough.  ANYTHING can be dropped.  I think a more useful term would be "air droppable - survivable" ;)

Now, where are those hover tanks?

We used them up in the water thread!!

paracowboy said:
everyone. The media does NOT need to know this stuff, because Timmie doesn't need to know it. I don't care how Open Source it may be.

If Mike wants to wallow in his ignorance, and display it to the world, let him. The more detailed you get in shooting down his silly rant, the more details you give the carrion-feeders in the press, and the more details they will then send over the MSM, informing Timmie as to EXACTLY what's coming his way. That's bad.

He doesn't need to know how many variants of anything are in theatre. Nobody outside of theatre, and those supporting them here, do.

He can choose to believe the serving pers on these boards, or he can choose to belive the jackals and vultures in the press.

I think that was totally uncalled for.

I asked Van Garvin a question about his response. He said three, I wanted to clarify, like any normal person would, I suggest, considering the diminshed number, of that was correct..

Sheeesh!

ProPatria Mike said:
That was totally uncalled for.
I don't think totally uncalled for, PPM.  I mean, it's understandable that you are looking for info (info=power), but there are certain things that should not be said in the open.

Please....  info equal power? Man, what is that? I only asked how many of the vehicles actually went through the process.... not how many we are sending or what they will be doing.

ProPatria Mike said:
Please....  info equal power? Man, what is that? I only asked how many of the vehicles actually went through the process.... not how many we are sending or what they will be doing.

I wasn't trying to be flippant.  Information IS power.  Anyway, you asked if anyone knew how manay went through the process.  I answered yes, short for "yes, someone knows".  How many?  I haven't a clue.  It might be on the dnd site.  If not, then it's probably not there for a reason.

Well, VG, I'm not a mind reader and since you answered my question with ayes and no qualifier, I thought you knew what you were talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back