• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Great Gun Control Debate- 2.0

Jarnhamar said:
This sucks.

I just want my kids to be safe at school and not worry about some psychopath shooting up the school, then take then shooting at the range after school.

Not looking forward to stripping down my pistols and ARs to turn in bare-bones receivers.

Should probably pick up a few more NR rifles come to think of it.

If the government thinks the SNC bullshit would cost a lot of jobs the shooting community is going to knock their rainbow socks off.

A quick glance at a message forum that has just some of the firearms/ammo/target/sporting crap for sale in Canada shows 126 businesses- that's alot of (actual, non SNC-bullshit) jobs and stock to lose.

If there's around 950'000 legally owned handguns in Canada (not counting what's in stock in stores) at an average of $750 per handgun thats + $712 million dollars in private property. I doubt the government can afford a buy back program.

You may very well see AR's having to be turned in whole as the parts are also prohibited and such not being able to be sold. Any NR AR's will probably be seen as a loophole and be reclassified by the RCMP as Prohibited under a OIC. Any buyback will most likely go the same as Australia with a government "guide" to prices, you won't be getting full value. Between restricted and prohibited rifles and handguns I have about 35 guns that I may lose at some point.

Jarnhamar said:
If there's around 950'000 legally owned handguns in Canada (not counting what's in stock in stores) at an average of $750 per handgun thats + $712 million dollars in private property. I doubt the government can afford a buy back program.

Chief Engineer said:
Any buyback will most likely go the same as Australia with a government "guide" to prices, you won't be getting full value. Between restricted and prohibited rifles and handguns I have about 35 guns that I may lose at some point.

A quick look at today's pre-election budget doesn't show any money to fund a buyback.  The antis are all about confiscation without compensation.  My hope is for grandfathering but it's starting to look like any pre-election moves on legal gun control will be heavy-handed and harsh, with immediate effect,  to "turn the page" away from other problems dogging the ruling party these days.

Haggis said:
A quick look at today's pre-election budget doesn't show any money to fund a buyback.  The antis are all about confiscation without compensation.  My hope is for grandfathering but it's starting to look like any pre-election moves on legal gun control will be heavy-handed and harsh, with immediate effect,  to "turn the page" away from other problems dogging the ruling party these days.

Heavy-handed and harsh would no doubt yield a hard push back. As per Quebec non compliance to their gun registry. Lots of fur will fly.

Jed said:
Heavy-handed and harsh would no doubt yield a hard push back. As per Quebec non compliance to their gun registry. Lots of fur will fly.

You re most likely right.  But, at this point, new legal gun control measures are not about achieving results, but about distraction.

Chief Engineer said:
You may very well see AR's having to be turned in whole as the parts are also prohibited and such not being able to be sold. Any NR AR's will probably be seen as a loophole and be reclassified by the RCMP as Prohibited under a OIC. Any buyback will most likely go the same as Australia with a government "guide" to prices, you won't be getting full value. Between restricted and prohibited rifles and handguns I have about 35 guns that I may lose at some point.

My receivers are all Receiver Only registrations. Bought bare balls like that and they have no idea if they were ever assembled or not. Thats all they get, after we put them through a press, leaving the markings alone.

I'm hoping an immediate stay pending appeal to the SCC. That should get us to the election at least.

I'm wondering though, this won't just put gun owners against him, as we've always been, it'll also affect others who may not like guns. What about constitutionalists and freedom seekers and other bellwethers of authoritarian takeover.

Even peasants get the balls to take back their daughters and farm by the end of the movie.🤣

Chief Engineer said:
You may very well see AR's having to be turned in whole as the parts are also prohibited and such not being able to be sold.

I figure that would be quite the nightmare for the RCMP. You can buy AR upper recievers and pistol slides at the gas station (where I got mine).

Firearm owners don't have to inform the RCMP when they purchase that stuff, or when they sell it. The RCMP can (and may) decide all that stuff is prohibited and unsellable over night but nothing stops a firearms owners from saying they've already sold it.

If criminals don't follow the law, how is new legislation going to stop criminals and gangs?  This is obvious virtue signalling to try to get new votes for the Liberal party.  This is an attempt to recuperate the losses the Liberals have suffered due to the SNC Lavalin debacle. I'm totally biased though.  It's staggeringly divisive behavior that shouldn't be allowed in the first place.  Bill C-71 should have been shot down the moment it was even thought of.  I really have to use a heavy filter when I'm talking about this stuff, because it annoys the heck out of me.

I honestly believe that armed men are citizens; unarmed men are subjects.  I can feel the eyes rolling, but you know, I don't really want to test the theory, do you?

Jarnhamar said:
I figure that would be quite the nightmare for the RCMP. You can buy AR upper recievers and pistol slides at the gas station (where I got mine).

Firearm owners don't have to inform the RCMP when they purchase that stuff, or when they sell it. The RCMP can (and may) decide all that stuff is prohibited and unsellable over night but nothing stops a firearms owners from saying they've already sold it.

When the SPAS 12 and Tech 9 firearms were confiscated without compensation in the early 90's the police turned up for them and you had to turn in the entire firearm not just the receiver. Basically several cars showed up, they went to your door and you had to immediately surrender them. It was mentioned in a previous post that like myself some people who bought receivers and built AR's are only going to turn over the receiver. That being said there will thousands of people with AR parts they can't sell which are kind of useless.

Chief Engineer said:
When the SPAS 12 and Tech 9 firearms were confiscated without compensation in the early 90's the police turned up for them and you had to turn in the entire firearm not just the receiver. Basically several cars showed up, they went to your door and you had to immediately surrender them. It was mentioned in a previous post that like myself some people who bought receivers and built AR's are only going to turn over the receiver. That being said there will thousands of people with AR parts they can't sell which are kind of useless.

I used to be a Boy Scout. I still follow the motto 'Be Prepared'.

If you've been watching what has been going on, and you haven't prepared yourself, or your firearms, that is no one's fault but yours.

If you still have all your parts, it will be much easier to rebuild them when we need them.  ;)

.22s are great and all, but their ballistics are horrible, and any moderate winds affect performance.

Looks like New Zealand is going after the rifles, parts and accessories.

Fishbone Jones said:
I used to be a Boy Scout. I still follow the motto 'Be Prepared'.

If you've been watching what has been going on, and you haven't prepared yourself, or your firearms, that is no one's fault but yours.

If you still have all your parts, it will be much easier to rebuild them when we need them.  ;)

I am curious what you think "we" might "need" them for?

Cloud Cover said:
Looks like New Zealand is going after the rifles, parts and accessories.

And it was done through an OIC. Maybe that's the "really big" announcement that Ministers Blair and Goodale are expected to make "very quickly".

Fishbone Jones said:
For hunting of course.

Ask the Venezuelans. They can explain it better.

I feel sometimes, that as a gun owner in Canada, that I am caught between federal politicians, whose endgame motive on firearms ownership I cannot fully trust and a vocal group of firearms owners whose rhetoric on firearms I find distasteful and will be seized upon by those opposed to all firearms ownership in Canada to use as a club against us all.

The fact of the matter is that in Canada, there is no constitutional protection for firearms ownership, unlike the US. To run around pretending otherwise and comparing Canada to Venezula is somewhat of a stretch. At least for now.

I wouldn’t bother buying, may as well just send the money straight the government, they’ll all be illegal soon.

Target Up said:
I wouldn’t bother buying, may as well just send the money straight the government, they’ll all be illegal soon.

Ah c'mon.  I'm not worried about that.  You really think C-71 will hold water?

Perhaps not, but this gov has proved it’s willingness to ram through legislation. I think the smart money would be on waiting for the results of the next election before splashing out the cash.

Target Up said:
Perhaps not, but this gov has proved it’s willingness to ram through legislation. I think the smart money would be on waiting for the results of the next election before splashing out the cash.

That'll just make the Liberals even less popular than they already are.

TimneyTime said:
Ah c'mon.  I'm not worried about that.  You really think C-71 will hold water?

You don't need a bill to prohibit firearms.  The Kiwis just did it through an OIC.  I fear (suspect) Ministers Blair and Goodale will do the same thing based on the results of Minister Blair's "extensive consultations".  I, for one, am not buying anything new until after the writ is dropped, at the very least.

Back