• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Great Gun Control Debate- 2.0

A group of about a dozen victims of Toronto's Danforth shooting have called for a complete ban on private ownership of legal handguns and "assault weapons".  They go so far as to suggest that competitive and sport shooters could still pursue their sport, but by using firearms owned by and stored at licensed shooting clubs and not their own.

No mention of action against illegal guns, though....

This should give the Liberals something to distract the public from SNC Lavalin and a few other files.

I think we should make it illegal to be a criminal. That would fix everything.

[quote author=HAGGIS]
This should give the Liberals something to distract the public from SNC Lavalin and a few other files.
[/quote]

Right on time and predicted.

ballz said:
I believe that's completely separate from Bill C-71. Bill C-71 actually can and still may get passed before October... Blair's new gun grab wouldn't have nearly enough time, he even said as much that it wouldn't be happening this time around. With that said, it may be a campaign strategy for them.

It could clear the Senate by May if everything falls into place and the Senate does not vote to change even a word of the Bill: https://ipolitics.ca/2019/02/22/gun-bill-still-faces-long-haul-as-election-closes-in/

I assume Royal Proclamation would occur before the election kicks off. Regulations can come later by OIC or they can come on day 1. Either way, it's a legislative assassination of loyal law abiding citizens ("legicide") who are not the problem and nothing of substance will be addressed from a criminal use of firearms perspective.

Cloud Cover said:
Regulations can come later by OIC or they can come on day 1.

My guess is that the regulations are all ready to go on Day 1.  There will be no delay in implementation as the results have to be visible to the Liberal loyalists before the writ drops.

The Senate's Standing Committee on National Security and Defence sat yesterday and heard testimony from both sides of the C-71 debate.  I won't dissect the veracity of anyone's claims on either side, but I will say that watching Dr. Gary Mauser waving a photo of a moose while declaring that more Canadians are killed by moose each year than by lawful firearms owners was epic.

And far more are killed by medical staff as well.

Haggis said:
I will say that watching Dr. Gary Mauser waving a photo of a moose while declaring that more Canadians are killed by moose each year than by lawful firearms owners was epic.

Can't comment on moose fatalities. They never sent us to one.

I would say that about 90 per cent of the gun fatalities they sent us to were suicides. No idea if they were lawful firearms owners.

mariomike said:
I would say that about 90 per cent of the gun fatalities they sent us to were suicides. No idea if they were lawful firearms owners.

That statistical void is part of the problem.  Bill C-71 is aimed (pun intended) at enhancing the psychological background checks of lawful owners.  If my unhinged spouse/child/other relative/friend/neighbour unlawfully takes my lawfully owned gun and offs himself, Bill C-71 won't prevent that.

And Dr. Mauser was making a comparison between moose caused deaths and homicides by lawful firearms owners.

Haggis said:
< snip> more Canadians are killed by moose each year than by lawful firearms owners was epic.

Haggis said:
And Dr. Mauser was making a comparison between moose caused deaths and homicides by lawful firearms owners.

ok. Thank-you for the clarification.

Haggis said:
That statistical void is part of the problem.  Bill C-71 is aimed (pun intended) at enhancing the psychological background checks of lawful owners.  If my unhinged spouse/child/other relative/friend/neighbour unlawfully takes my lawfully owned gun and offs himself, Bill C-71 won't prevent that.

If you have anyone in your home without a PAL, they should not be able to access your firearms or ammo. Keep your stuff secure, as required by law and dont make it accessable to anyone. My wife had firearms prior to the PAL. They are secured and she will never get them again, until she gets her PAL. She s no idea how to access anything.

Now, that raises another point. No matter how much the CFO badgers her, she cant get at anything. If she could, and does for the CFO, we can both end up in jail. She is oblivious to what is where and how many there are. If she gets her PAL, she gets her guns back.

Fishbone Jones said:
If you have anyone in your home without a PAL, they should not be able to access your firearms or ammo. Keep your stuff secure, as required by law and don't make it accessible to anyone.

Hence my qualification of "unlawfully takes".  My firearms and ammo storage arrangements exceed the requirements of the Firearms Act.  However, in the eyes of Minister Blair and other Liberal MPs, this is still insufficient and my firearms are deemed to be at risk of unlawful use.  Since I clearly can't be trusted, centralized storage is the only solution

Fishbone Jones said:
My wife had firearms prior to the PAL. They are secured and she will never get them again, until she gets her PAL.
That's awesome incentive, particularly if she wants her guns (her property) back.

mariomike said:

Two personal anecdotes.

My uncle who had been suffering from both mental and health problems managed to find a .22 rifle in the attic that everyone had forgotten about and used it to commit suicide.

One of my best friends committed suicide using his legally owned hunting rifle. He was also having problems; alcohol, split with his wife, etc.

Sorry for your losses, brother.

Retired AF Guy said:
My uncle who had been suffering from both mental and health problems managed to find a .22 rifle in the attic that everyone had forgotten about and used it to commit suicide.
  I assume the gun was unregistered and he was un-licensed?  C-71 would not have prevented that, nor would, I suspect, the former long gun registry.

Retired AF Guy said:
One of my best friends committed suicide using his legally owned hunting rifle. He was also having problems; alcohol, split with his wife, etc.
  Our current laws could have prevented this tragedy had someone (family member, co-worker, ex-wife) spoken up and called the local PD or CFO.  But no one wants to be "that guy" who gets a friend or relative "in trouble" even if getting them "in trouble" saves their life.

Haggis said:
That's awesome incentive, particularly if she wants her guns (her property) back.

It sounds mean and autocratic, but it's for her own protection against an unscrupulous government or Crown prosecutors.

Haggis said:
Our current laws could have prevented this tragedy

They may have eliminated firearms as a method in this, and similar tragedies, at best.

There are plenty of other methods that are just as lethal, however.

This is why gun grabbers speak about "gun deaths", and not total homicide and suicide rates.

The current legislation may have reduced the number of suicides in which firearms were used, but rope sales easily made up the difference.

Loachman said:
The current legislation may have reduced the number of suicides in which firearms were used, but rope sales easily made up the difference.

An uncomfortable truth overlooked by those who portray guns as the only suicide method that matters.  "If it saves only one life..."

Haggis said:
An uncomfortable truth overlooked by those who portray guns as the only suicide method that matters. 

Hardly the only way. Although not failsafe, certainly one of the more reliable.

Not suitable for a "suicidal gesture".

Suicide rates have little to do with method, Japan and South Korea would love to have the US suicide rate per 100,000

Back