• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The "G Wagon" (Iltis replacment for Recce & the Reg Force)

As the Canada might have to pay the cost of the clean up of the base site (this will be a first for afghanistan!) it makes sense to keep the area fairly clean. We were using drip trays in the 70‘s and they were old then.

Snorkels are fairly comman for this type of vehicle. Often there will be small tubes attached for the axle, tranny breathers. I had one on my diesel landrover and I have forded that to chest height. when going through moving water, you must allow the vehicle to flood or you will be washed downstream, not to bad when crossing a cold clean mountain stream, but sucks in a muddy river. Once you get home you will have your work cut out for you, getting the water out of everything.

yeah, I can imagine that there might be some problems there.

Just don‘t touch the wet wires(Bzzzttt)

Yeah - it is called a snorkel for sure - at least that is what the one on my Jeep is called. I did not know that the G Wagon was going to be equipped with them (but why would I?) - just caught my eye. I was more or less wondering if it was oriented ‘backwards‘ (it is all perception I guess) due to high amounts of dust.

Colin - you are right about mud - man - after crossing some muddy areas I have a lot of cleaning to do at least an hour with a high pressure washer or else I have a hi-speed ‘death wobble‘ from the mud caked in my rims.

Some snorkels have a "pre-cleaner" built in to reduce the amount of dust that gets to the filter. Often it is a rotating Plenum that kicks the dust back out. They do create more noise as you can hear the sucking quite a bit, sort of like our electon.

Greetings All..
I just took a look at the latest "Maple Leaf mag". There is a picture of buddy doin some C-6 shootin from a G-Wagen C and R version.
I seem to remember us always telling our soldiers to "keep low" in the hatch". We did it in Cougars, in Lynxs and even in the old jeeps.
By the looks of this you might as well have a big neon sign over your head saying "kill this soldier now". You can see all of his body from the bottom of his cbt coat up. I find it hard to belive that nobody could come up with a lower profile gun mount for this truck. It should at least have a "shielded mount".
Does anyone out there in Cavalry country agree?

It would be hard to disagree.   That mount is about twice or three times as high as it needs to be.   I'd hate to be the crew commander firing that thing on the move - one small bump and he'll get an impromtu airborne course.   I hope whoever gets first delivery of those gems writes a UCR between now and when we'll get our "fleet" at the unit next year.

Being as it is on the GWagen, I imagine it to be the standard 'German' mount.  Even on the Leopard the mount for the C6 is relatively high, because it is not meant for ground engagements, but for AA engagements.

I doubt if it will be the Crew Commander firing this weapon, but most likely the GIB.

GW

Ahh , the GIB. George , that's one of the things we're going to have to determine. Right now, it makes sense for the CC to be in the hole. He can't see from the passenger seat, and it's easier for the observer to dismount from the front seat. Problem is, last I heard, there was no headset drop to the hole, hence no way to command the crew by I/C

CFL said:
Was it at a range or in the "field"?
Train as you fight.  Even if it were on a range the shooter should keep a low profile.

recceguy said:
Problem is, last I heard, there was no headset drop to the hole, hence no way to command the crew by I/C
Would that not also make it impossible for the CC in the passenger seat to command a gunner in the hatch?

Looks like we have a predicament that will have to be resolved.  What is the proper location for the CC in the GWagen?  Does he stand exposed and behind everyone in the hatch with the gun or does he sit inside, unable to use all his senses to the best of their abilities?  How will we maintain comms between the crewmembers?  Who controls when and how the wpn is to be used?

Interesting?

GW

I don't see it as too much of a dilemma. Put a comms drop up there and treat it like any other AFV. It's why we teach the guys to command from the back seat on the DP3. So they're not pointing and saying' Take me there". They have to verbally instruct the driver to the position, same as a turreted vehicle. The CC manned the main (C5) in the scout car and the .50 in the Lynx, why not the G Wagon. It'll be his decision to fire, cut out the middle man. When CC'ing they'll have to stay head and shoulders out only, be kinda hard to check behind with that tin can lid sticking up though. There'll be lots of mounts for different weapon systems. If not suitable, we'll just have to UCR the hell out of the project people. Let's just get the veh out there first and let the operators trial it, instead of some guy in an office with Auto Cad.

recceguy said:
If not suitable, we'll just have to UCR the hell out of the project people.

What is UCR?  I've seen it in a bunch of threads.  Is it some sort of complaint form?

Unsatisfactory Condition Report - it's what we send in to the bean counters to tell them that the product they developed without our input is no f***ing good, and here's what we need to replace it with.

A question, who is the GIB?  What does this stand for.

I've heard word lately, at least in the Rangers that we may be switching from a 7 car troop org to an 8 car troop org with the G-Wagons.

Having driven and been in the gunner seat of the Gwagon C&R - it is of necessity that height.
Lower and you won't be able to depress the gun enough to be usefull (this is the only close in protection the Gwaon has...)

It has a CI box and the gunner is on comms with the driver or commander.

It was a Band-Aid solution - none of the vehicles in Canada will be of this variant we are told.  Prior to us deploying we had some Armoured variants - but apparently this was an aberation and the vehicles in country should be a light configuration (no armd doors, windows or roof) much more like the other colaition Gwagon here (and more useful)

Secondly none of the MO will be getting Gwagons as it stand now either.

Kevin,

The Project Management Office has already posted the list of what Units will receive the G Wagon, including CFR's and type. The Reserve Armomured Recce units are slated to receive the unarmoured C&R version. It's all on their website, let me try find it. May not be able to get at it without DWAN access.

Good to hear they put a comms drop up there though. Does that mean there is a capability for three headsets, or did they just move one from the front seat?

By stating none in Canada will have this variant do you mean that they won't have the cupola.

Armoured Recce Reserve in Canada will get the C&R version, with the cupola. It is also not a one off design. It is one of the three variants provided for in the buy. Basic, C&R and MP variant.

Back