• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

tactical vest

Hey the Small pack is good  ;D

For PT gear, kit you require for a range, carring books on course or course staff (the chest strap keeps it in place), and other things along those lines. 

Not to get it confused  with field kit

Have you ever carried anything else other than books and pt strip? Try carrying radios, ammo, pyro etc. It sucks

PhillB,
I have and know how much it sucks.  My commeants were ment in a more sarcastic sense.  I use my nuke bag, it holds all the stuff the TV doesn't.

No worries man, the intricacies of online humor always seem to allude me. I alwyas used my nuke bag, and I think its pretty sad that it still remains a better option in my opinion. the only part I didnt like about it is when you carry oddly shaped things and get them jabbing you in the back. I use a Lightfighter RAID pack now. Hands down the best pack I have ever used.

The Small pack - got UCR's from the get go.
Like everything else in CTS...

Infidel-6 said:
The Small pack - got UCR's from the get go.
Like everything else in CTS...
yep. As did the Tac Vest, the backpack, ad nauseum.  ::)

First week in theater in february bought a Camelback motherload in old American desert pattern,  because of the molle all over it and the clamshell opening.  The shoulder straps are long enough to be in the right place even over armour and set wide enough apart at the top.  Radio fits beautifully , it has these sweet straps that seem made to hold M72' on the side.  I love it, I am gong to sleep with it tonight.  I don't remember what adress I mailed the issue small pack to from theater, no big loss.  Serious well spent money on R&D on Tac vest and small pack. ::) Don't mention to CTS that they put the molle on sideways, it might hurt feelings. ;D

when do i get issued the kit if i am doing the BMQ on weekends ?
is it after i sworn in ?

thanks

Not many people know this little tidbit.......I-6 actually helped design the TV and Small Pack as a way to get back at "The Man". Now he is on the cover of SOF!

Noneck - YEs we did add the Malmac cup attachment as well as the old style thermos carrier, shich we had custom made in CadPat. :skull:

MUAHAHAHAHA all too funny....although honestly...I LOVE the Small Pack (I'm actually serious here) for anything but its intended purpose... yes yes I know everyone else does too...but I think some of the civilian companies who make backpacks should copy the design :D hahahaha school packs for any busy post-sec student.

However, on a serious note, I like the new Eagle A-III-P Assault pack and I would highly recommend it. I've got the multi-cam counterpart and so far....DAMN....

PhilB said:
Lol, I try and be productive at times! Here I will elaborate. I do not like the small pack system for the following reasons:

a) The daisy chain system of attaching pouches to it is completely ineffective. When a pouch is loaded up with anything heavy i.e. ammo it sags and pulls off the pack.

b) The shoulder straps. This is my biggest complaint. I'm not a big guy but when wearing the pack over a vest and flack jacket with plates the straps are to short, you are basically stuck with having the strap, not the padded portion, digging into your arm pits. Additionally who ever put the slippery nylon material on the bottom, part of the strap that sits on your shoulder, portion of the strap should be shot. This nylon causes the pack to slip around on your shoulders and makes carrying heavy loads uncomfortable.

c) This is a personal preference but I dislike the top loading design. With all of the improvements in pack design out there i.e. a clamshell design having a top loader does not make much sense to me. It makes getting kit out of the pack difficult, particularly at night.

d) The weight of the empty pack is ridiculous. I understand the benefit of having an aluminum stay but come one! This pack weighs a ton empty!

I know in reality the small pack was in essence designed to carry pt kit to the gym and stuff around bases, but for a system that is supposed to make up for the deficiencies of the TV it falls well short in my opinion. Another example of a piece of kit that is not designed around end user requirements and not designed for use in the field or on operations. Hopefully this clarifies a bit.

I feel I am about an average size (5'11'', 165 lbs, ok maybe a bit thiner than the average soldier), and I will agree that I am a reservist and haven't tested it under real combat conditions, but while it is certainly not the best piece of kit available, Idon't have most of the problems described above with the small pack. The daisy chains are holding fine for me (had no problems carrying 2 C6 ammo boxes in the pouches, and I cannot see what heavier things could be fitted in there), but I tend to put heavier stuff in the main compartment anyway. I don't have the strap problem, even with TV and frag vest on, but I will agree that I am rather thin and that heavier built soldiers might find it problematic and that different sized straps should be made available. As for the top loading I lack the experience with other systems so I'll refrain from any comments, even though I can see the theorical advantages of the clamshell, but I don't have any problems with it, be it night or day. Finally I don't understand the weight comment, I am more built for marathon running, and I barely notice the weight at all.

Anyway, I can see the problems with it, and after seeing systems like the RAID pack, i see that there are better pieces of kit out there, but I don't think it's that bad of an option really. Nothing like the tactical vest, wich has real problems like not being able to hold what we need to fight or be able to be tailored to fit the different roles todays infanteers have to face...

Douke

I'm 6'2" and 185lbs, and have some issues with the smallpack. for me, its too high up, so the waist belt is basically useless to me. the shoulder straps dont cinch up well, and i end up with the strap without padding cutting into me. with armor and second line kit and etc, the shoulder straps are pushed out farther causing undue strain on my back and shoulders. my accessories pockets are starting to break, with the stitiching coming undone and failiing.

I use a SpecOps Brand T.H.E. Pack, and have no issues with it.

RAID pack -- a huge improvement over the CTS Book Bag

RAIDPACK004.jpg

RAIDPACK001.jpg

Correct me if I am wrong.....I probably am.... ;D

Weren't the TV and small pack combo designed to replace the 82 pattern web gear, and give the ability to carry enough kit and supplies for up to 24 hours?

nsmedicman said:
Weren't the TV and small pack combo designed to replace the 82 pattern web gear, and give the ability to carry enough kit and supplies for up to 24 hours?
no.

The concept behind the finished product was to come up with webgear and a patrol pack to replace the 82 pattern web gear, and give the ability to carry enough kit and supplies for up to 24 hours.

What these ridiculous POS's were designed for were Gate Guard in Bosnia, and carrying PT kit/school books.

+1 Para

Those items were not designed with the combat soldier in mind, it was made for the 80% solution, which when 80% of the CF are CSS trades well you get the idea.

I believe that I was reading on the forums somewhere that 3VP was trialling some off the shelf load bearing equipment, or that some sort of test program of buying your own gear with an allowance was being used for the Coy deploying on 1-07.

Could someone dispel my hair brained notion or give me an update on the status of this trial? Thanks guys.

PhilB said:
I believe that I was reading on the forums somewhere that 3VP was trialling some off the shelf load bearing equipment,
yes, we are. Or rather, a sub-unit is.

or that some sort of test program of buying your own gear with an allowance was being used for the Coy deploying on 1-07.
not pers-owned kit. Issued as a trial for the CLS.

Could someone dispel my hair brained notion or give me an update on the status of this trial?
NSTR

Back