• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Spotty work history and bad credit?

Chris2010

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm really interested in join the CF but my work history isn't the greatest. It had a lot of jobs only lasting 8 or 9 months. (Due to boredom and feeling like I wasn't accomplishing anything worthwhile.) My credit history is also very poor. I'm working at paying off my bills, but I'm afraid when they look at these two things, I'm not going to have even the slightest shot.

Is there anything I can do to increase my chances? Or am I hooped? Should I just find a stable job for a couple years and try again when I'm 26 or 27? I would really like to start my career with the army as soon as I can, but it bums me out that my past mistakes are going to be the reason I can't work for my country.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Chris

You could go into a recruiters and try to sell them on your desire to work for the CF.

Hey if they say no thanks who is to stop you from getting a stable job and coming back in 2 years.

I can't imagine it would hurt to try now but I'm new myself so don't quote me on this. Just trying to be helpful.

Get the stable job for now anyway, even if you visit the Recruiting Centre tomorrow, your process and waiting for an offer could take months (or years) depending on trade choices.  Keep working on paying off your debts, showing that you have a plan for debt reduction and are working on it is important.

I would not tell a Recruiter or new Employer that you had all sorts of job's because you were bored, because whats to say you dont get bored with the CF, I understand lots of guys quit because of bordem, but thats something I would keep to myself, clean it up a bit " I have moved from job to job in hopes of better oportunities and for wage increases"
Something to that effect, I also have many jobs , but I just told them it was in the best interest of my career that I took other employment, can't pass up more money or advancement.

There's a million reasons why you might take employment somwhere else, but dont say bored, I hope you understand what Iam trying to say.

Thanks for the advice. I suppose I'm mostly upset that I'll have to wait until I'm 26 or 27 to apply and if you're saying it can take years to get in, I'm looking at 4 or 5 years away possibly. That's very depressing, but I suppose I did it to myself. Thanks again.

Chris

Rather than looking at it as depressing look at it as a goal to move forward to.  I started my trek towards ROTP 3 years ago and i'm still awaiting a swearing in date but the time is much better spent trying to move forward or to improve myself.  Yes you are responsible for your situation but you can be equally responsible for getting out of it.

Keep your head up and call the CFRC, they can give better career advice.

Yes apply now, whats it going to hurt, takes months of processing, check out the Application Samples in the forum some guys waiting 9+ months allready.
Also having many jobs in some cases looks not so good, but one thing that is good  about it is you always sought employment, gained employment and didn't sit on the couch for extreme amounts of time, you wanted to work and maintained employment until you sought other position's so its not all bad, just as long as you were not fired from all your jobs.

Iam sure the CFRC has seen it all, and try to show eforts of paying debts, keep all "proof of payment" and show them! I have a file started, it all goes to reliablity

Chris2010 said:
Thanks for the advice. I suppose I'm mostly upset that I'll have to wait until I'm 26 or 27 to apply and if you're saying it can take years to get in, I'm looking at 4 or 5 years away possibly. That's very depressing, but I suppose I did it to myself. Thanks again.

Chris

Who said you'd have to wait for 5 years.  Go to a recruiting center and talk to them and see what they say.  You never know until you try.

Good luck.

Back