• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Joining the reserves while working full-time, possible?

Tipster

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'll try to keep this short.

I've been interested in joining the CAF for years, but I couldn't do so when I was younger due to my immigration status at the time. Now that the requirements have changed, I've been thinking about joining the reserves, specifically, I've been looking into the Signal Operator trade.

I'd really like to join, however, now I work full-time and I have a very decent career going on. Due to the nature of my job, there's no way my employer will allow me to take 2-4 months off every year for training, so I wanted to ask: are there any part-time training options in the reserves?

I'm aware there's part-time BMQ available in the reserves, but things get fuzzy when I ask about trade training and I've heard a lot of contradicting advice online and I don't know what to think.

I don't want to sound entitled, if I can't do it, I can't do it and that's fine.
I just wanted to hear some informed opinions since I've heard a lot of mixed information online and the forces.ca website is a bit vague.

Hi guys, I'll try to keep this short.

I've been interested in joining the CAF for years, but I couldn't do so when I was younger due to my immigration status at the time. Now that the requirements have changed, I've been thinking about joining the reserves, specifically, I've been looking into the Signal Operator trade.

I'd really like to join, however, now I work full-time and I have a very decent career going on. Due to the nature of my job, there's no way my employer will allow me to take 2-4 months off every year for training, so I wanted to ask: are there any part-time training options in the reserves?

I'm aware there's part-time BMQ available in the reserves, but things get fuzzy when I ask about trade training and I've heard a lot of contradicting advice online and I don't know what to think.

I don't want to sound entitled, if I can't do it, I can't do it and that's fine.
I just wanted to hear some informed opinions since I've heard a lot of mixed information online and the forces.ca website is a bit vague.
The Army Reserves does do weekend Basic Training (for NCM occupations). When it comes to meeting the Occupational Function Point of an occupation (trade training) it's dependent on the occupation. I cannot think of any occupation within the Naval Reserves or the Medical Branch that would allow you to complete trades training part time, not all occupations require 2-4 months. Medical Assistant for example is done via Mod training broken up into 4 mods, some of which is done part time through the year; but there is some full time requirement.

The reason why you've heard contradicting advice is that training varies among occupations. Honestly your best bet is to speak with a Reserve Recruiter for an occupation you want to do.

The Army Reserves does do weekend Basic Training (for NCM occupations). When it comes to meeting the Occupational Function Point of an occupation (trade training) it's dependent on the occupation. I cannot think of any occupation within the Naval Reserves or the Medical Branch that would allow you to complete trades training part time, not all occupations require 2-4 months. Medical Assistant for example is done via Mod training broken up into 4 mods, some of which is done part time through the year; but there is some full time requirement.

The reason why you've heard contradicting advice is that training varies among occupations. Honestly your best bet is to speak with a Reserve Recruiter for an occupation you want to do.
I'm looking at the Signal Operator trade, some people have told me it's full-time and others are saying they're doing it online and part-time at the moment. I reached out to my nearest unit a few days ago but they haven't got back to me yet so I thought it might worth it to ask in here.

I think I can shed some light as I am in that process right now.

I am a Sig Op Reserve and due to do my DP1 later this year. Due to be 9 weeks full time and quite the ways away from family and home - so much so that going back on the weekends will be difficult. Was offered another DP1 option much closer but that was 16 weeks long, also full time. The difference being extra classes like driver quals etc. Part time DP1 was offered during the pandemic but not a thing anymore I was told. Some parts of DP2 are supposedly still a mixture where you do portions of it on parade and other week nights before heading to a base for full time later.

If you are in the federal public service (or still regulated by them like I am) then you are fine, or even in Ontario as there was a recent bill that passed (Working for Workers 2022). Unsure about other provinces. The biggest hits you will face for DP1 will be that you wont be able to have any idea where and even if you get time off and your civvie job is good - the difference in pay can leave you hurting quite a bit and family can be quite upset

If you have a Unit you are considering on joining, go see the Unit recruiter and ask the questions. Every unit and every trade can have different training schedules depending on location and resources.

If you have a Unit you are considering on joining, go see the Unit recruiter and ask the questions. Every unit and every trade can have different training schedules depending on location and resources.
I'm on it, I sent an email asking for details on how training worked but if they don't get back to me I'll either give them a call or stop by.

If you are in the federal public service (or still regulated by them like I am) then you are fine, or even in Ontario as there was a recent bill that passed (Working for Workers 2022). Unsure about other provinces. The biggest hits you will face for DP1 will be that you wont be able to have any idea where and even if you get time off and your civvie job is good - the difference in pay can leave you hurting quite a bit and family can be quite upset
Unfortunately, this doesn't apply to me as I work in the private sector and my employer is not keen on me leaving for months at the time for training purposes. Waiting to hear back from my nearest unit, but looks like joining the reserves is not feasible for me at this time. Thanks for the insight and for taking your time to reply.

Unfortunately, this doesn't apply to me as I work in the private sector and my employer is not keen on me leaving for months at the time for training purposes. Waiting to hear back from my nearest unit, but looks like joining the reserves is not feasible for me at this time. Thanks for the insight and for taking your time to reply.

And you have made a good decision reflecting the right priorities.

I've seen too many people try to 'do it all' and crater their lives, in one way or another.

You can volunteer at a Cadet program and that is generally one night a week with some weekends. Not the same thing as you wish, but a great way to give back to the community and stay involved with the Forces.

Back