• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sikh & India (Alleged) Shenanigans in Canada (split fm Non-Muslim terr thread)

Former feels like ducking/hiding, latter feels more like beating MSM to the punch to look grand - neither a good look, but a good example of can't win anymore.
The latter wouldn’t have come across as disingenuous if Trudeau hadn’t shut CSIS down from further investigating Khalistani activities based in Canada back in 2017.

In the case of an open murder investigation, can anyone fault him if the PM just said “no comment”?

I think what’s more egregious is that the government scrapped a plan by CSIS to disrupt Indian networks targeting the Vancouver Sikh community in 2017.

Reports of the Chinese government messing around with our democracy to the benefit of the governing party demands a more forthright response.

In the case of an open murder investigation, can anyone fault him if the PM just said “no comment”?

I think what’s more egregious is that the government scrapped a plan by CSIS to disrupt Indian networks targeting the Vancouver Sikh community in 2017.

Reports of the Chinese government messing around with our democracy to the benefit of the governing party demands a more forthright response.

But the PM has already elevated this "domestic" murder case to an international incident. Standard rules of play no longer apply. Just think of the Russian assassinations in the UK in the last few years.

But the PM has already elevated this "domestic" murder case to an international incident. Standard rules of play no longer apply. Just think of the Russian assassinations in the UK in the last few years.
The difference being that Novichok nerve agent was actually found in the UK directly linking the Russian state to the attack.

Here it's "Canadian security agencies have been actively pursuing credible allegations of a potential link between agents of the Government of India and the killing of a Canadian citizen, Hardeep Singh Nijjar," Trudeau said Monday in a speech to the House of Commons.

Raising the issue behind closed doors with India and our allies to my mind would have been a better approach than making the accusation publicly but having no actual proof to present to support the accusation.

Even if the media went public you could respond that "our law enforcement and security agencies are exploring all possible avenues of investigation regarding the death of Mr. Nijjar and the Government of Canada of course takes these allegations of possible foreign state involvement in this matter very seriously. We have raised our concerns with the Government of India and will of course take appropriate actions if the allegations prove to be true."

The difference being that Novichok nerve agent was actually found in the UK directly linking the Russian state to the attack.

Here it's "Canadian security agencies have been actively pursuing credible allegations of a potential link between agents of the Government of India and the killing of a Canadian citizen, Hardeep Singh Nijjar," Trudeau said Monday in a speech to the House of Commons.

Raising the issue behind closed doors with India and our allies to my mind would have been a better approach than making the accusation publicly but having no actual proof to present to support the accusation.

Even if the media went public you could respond that "our law enforcement and security agencies are exploring all possible avenues of investigation regarding the death of Mr. Nijjar and the Government of Canada of course takes these allegations of possible foreign state involvement in this matter very seriously. We have raised our concerns with the Government of India and will of course take appropriate actions if the allegations prove to be true."

I agree that that would have been the smart play.

I wonder what advice Trudeau got from his Canada 2020 summit in Montreal.

If it was no comment, and the information had two sequential incertitudes putting

Trudeau told Parliament that intelligence services were investigating "credible" information about "a potential link" between India's government and the killing.

Factor 1: Credible - That can be believed or trusted; credible (Oxford)

Factor 2: Potential link - (potential) That can develop into something or be developed in the future; possible (Oxford)

In this case, Factor 1 plus Factor 2 of Trudeau’s statement uses words to make things seem known enough to make overt allegations against another nation, but he never went as far as to say ‘confirmed’ and ‘irrefutable.’ If he had done the latter, then he would be on steadier ground with the allegations. His and his government’s actions and/or inaction on the Khalistani issue are hardly what I would assess as a slam dunk. I remain of the position that it was focused primarily on him portraying a position of power and resolution, so as to appear a principled leader who deserves future votes. Of course each person’s mileage may vary on how they assess Trudeau’s actions/statements on the issue.

The root of the problem (and solution) lies in keeping one's own house clean, regardless of what it means to election prospects. The LPC wants to play nice with China because of the clout of people who have money tied up there, and the LPC wants to play nice with Jagmeet Singh. Neither of those needs fits Canada's national interests.

If it was no comment, and the information had two sequential incertitudes putting

Factor 1: Credible - That can be believed or trusted; credible (Oxford)

Factor 2: Potential link - (potential) That can develop into something or be developed in the future; possible (Oxford)

In this case, Factor 1 plus Factor 2 of Trudeau’s statement uses words to make things seem known enough to make overt allegations against another nation, but he never went as far as to say ‘confirmed’ and ‘irrefutable.’ If he had done the latter, then he would be on steadier ground with the allegations. His and his government’s actions and/or inaction on the Khalistani issue are hardly what I would assess as a slam dunk. I remain of the position that it was focused primarily on him portraying a position of power and resolution, so as to appear a principled leader who deserves future votes. Of course each person’s mileage may vary on how they assess Trudeau’s actions/statements on the issue.
very true except he has ended up appearing as anything but principled.

The latter wouldn’t have come across as disingenuous if Trudeau hadn’t shut CSIS down from further investigating Khalistani activities based in Canada back in 2017.
Good point - malice aforethought/premeditation and all that ...
... Even if the media went public you could respond that "our law enforcement and security agencies are exploring all possible avenues of investigation regarding the death of Mr. Nijjar and the Government of Canada of course takes these allegations of possible foreign state involvement in this matter very seriously. We have raised our concerns with the Government of India and will of course take appropriate actions if the allegations prove to be true."
Leading to the UWT (Underwhelmed With Trudeau) team yelling, "government's not doing anything." Due to past shenanigans, current management continues to paint itself into can't win corner.

Thank you for the correction.
I appreciate it.
Except you are not entirely wrong, the Leader of the Opposition is not automatically a member of the privy council. PP is a member but it had to do with him being in cabinet under Harper not by virtue of his current position as

So why was the victim not deported? He entered Canada illegally, he married to avoid deportation and that marriage was a sham.

OH of course!! We can't deport someone if their lives are endangered by deporting them....can we?

Somalis were deported and they were pretty much executed on arrival in Mogadishu. Or so I have heard.
What needs to happen - tell the Sikh separatists they'd best STFU. And a quiet word to the Indian government they'd best stop this.

NOW I was chatting with some Indian immigrants today and they stated the PM of India really hates Sikhs, and Muslims....

I just made an offhand comment to my son that I intended to be funny. He spent his teens in the Lower Mainland.
I said that if this nonsense keeps up the Indians and the Chinese will be fighting in Vancouver.
His response:
That's been happening for a while.

When does gang warfare become a proxy war?

"This is a moment of weakness," said Christopher Sands, director of the Canada Institute.
"Right now we're seeing a hard power moment. That is not the environment where Canada shines," he said. "The decisive stuff is all force, power and money, which Canada doesn't have."

Oof.

Back