• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ship's Boarding Party [Merged]

Hello, I just found out about the naval boarding party from this site. I have been thinking about joining the infantry, but the NBP looks interesting. I have been reading about it from this forum but have a few questions still. What is the best way to get into it, the boatswain trade? How long and what are the chances of making it onto a NBP? What are the chances of living on the westcoast? If someone made it onto a NBP would they just train and practice that or would they do other naval jobs? Sorry for all the questions I just can't find too much info about this.
Thank you.

You simply walk down to the recruiting office and ask for the boatswains trade, but there are many other trades in the Navy that offer more (IMHO) than the boatswain. 

NBP is made up of volunteers from pretty much every trade onboard.  If you want to live in Esquimalt just let them know that when you are on your 3's when you are asked what coast you would like.  You select your home port division after your 5's course.

When you are on the NBP, you perform all your regular trade duties, and seamanship duties (cleaning the heads  ;)

On the west coast when the ships go to the gulf you are taken off the watches, meaning you just do boardings and training.  I was told that out east the ships have their NBP members turn to for watches, what this means is that you would get burnt out as you never know when a boarding will occur.

Your chances of getting on the NBP team are pretty good, but I think you have to be 3's qualified before you can get on it, I may be wrong on that but I am sure that someone knows the answer.

Thanks a lot for the reply It was helpful.
When you pick what coast you want are you guaranteed it or do they put you where they need you.
Thanks

also where could I find out information on what 3s and 5s are?

All trades are eligable to be on the NBP

Must be QL3 qualified
recommended by dept
Interviewed by NBPO/XO/CO
Phisically fit (EXPRESS TEST, but we are trying to up it to justify extra pay)

Once on the course
qualify on Sig Sauer/MP-5/870 Remington Shot Gun
Learn empty hand control, hancuffing, ASP Baton, OC Spray
Qualify on the Rappel tower

Once on the ship, you will be on call when at sea to conduct boardings at anytime
If you ship is deployed on a DCDS mission, there will be two teams trained (out of the organic ships company)
Once in theatre, the teams will switch off every two weeks (Up to command team) one team on call and off the watches the other team back in their department working and standing watches.

If you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask.

How often are you out at sea?
what do you do when your on the watches?
when you pick what coast you want during training do you get it or go where your needed?
if you work hard how long would it take from training to getting on a NBP approx?
thank you for all your help.

That depends on if your ship is high readiness or not. It also depends on whats going on in the world and if the navy has money for fuel to allow you to sail.

That depends on what trade you select. You can do anything that is trade related to cleaning your area of responsibility on ship.

when you pick what coast you want during training do you get it or go where your needed?
The Navy will do their best to accomodate you but there are no guarantees. If you find you are posted to the coast that you don't want to be in, your best bet is to let your divisional system know this.

if you work hard how long would it take from training to getting on a NBP approx?
That depends on the length of your 3s course and it also depends on available slots and departmental approval. Its one of those questiosn where there is no set answer.

SharkBait said:
thank you for all your help.

You select your Home Port Division (picking your coast) after your QL3 course

When you join the Navy:
Basic in St Jean  (QL1)
Naval Environmental Training Plan in Halifax or Esquimalt (QL2) this course ensures that you are safe to go to sea
Basic Trade Qualification (QL3) this course is your first introduction to your trade and will make you useful to your trade
Fleet Exam (QL4) allows you to be promoted to Leading Seaman
Then go on from there

the boatswains  trade is over burden  116% of strenght means theres some dead weight in it some ppl ae realing or on med cat that they need more then they were really allowed to have . mehh it will happen

There is no longer a fleet exam for most combat trades, as completing the OJT is considered "enough"  ??? ???

What of (R)Boatswain. If you're in this trade, you're still eligible for NBP training, correct? How often are the skills utilized on an MCDV (if at all)? With such saturation of the trade in the CF, are there opportunities for (R)Boatswains to join a ship on tour? If a MARS officer wanted to be involved with the NBP, would that individual be a team member or designated to be the NBP officer, etc... ?

Slt - LCdr any trade, ALGONQUIN had an Air Weapons Controller (Air Force Captain) as its boarding officer for awhile.

But usually the NBPO is a MARS Officer. The A3 (Witnessing Officer) is usually the Slt who is being groomed to take over the NBPO's duties

I'm pretty sure the Deck O is usually the boarding officer. I could be wrong though.

The Deck O usually is, but it is still Commands choice of who it will be.

Enzo said:
What of (R)Boatswain. If you're in this trade, you're still eligible for NBP training, correct? How often are the skills utilized on an MCDV (if at all)? With such saturation of the trade in the CF, are there opportunities for (R)Boatswains to join a ship on tour? If a MARS officer wanted to be involved with the NBP, would that individual be a team member or designated to be the NBP officer, etc... ?

eligible? yes. Probable? No. There are members of the reserves running around with the NBP course. However they are the exception rather than the rule.

My mom says that I am exceptional ;D

So long as there is an option, I'm good to try, can't take my hopes away.

Enzo said:
My mom says that I am exceptional ;D

So long as there is an option, I'm good to try, can't take my hopes away.

Riiiight. Well it is left over from a couple years ago when they were training teams for the MCDV's. Thats fallen to the wayside now....but they are talking about bringing it back. You'll have to be posted to an MCDV core crew. Which is a 3 year posting.(perhaps 2? :-\I dont remeber exactly)

Sounds good, where do I sign up ;)

And she does y'know; she also says something about the sun setting, but I can rarely here her due to that 4-man band she has following me around playing the theme from "Gonna git you Sucka."  >:D

NBP teams still exist on MCDVs, but there are teething problems. The high crew turnover makes it difficult to maintain a team. My ship managed to keep our team current and qualified for one year-- 2003--2004. There are still active teams in the MCDVs.

Have we boarded anything-- not that I know of.

Thanks.

Back