• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ship's Boarding Party [Merged]

I was watching several recent news and shows about pirates and NAVY and was wondering: what are the rules of engagement in those situations, I am sure they are not simple as us civilian think.

No offence intended but what do you mean by you don't know what would you do if they started to shot at you? Do you mean that the rules of engagements are unclear when the enemy is not clearly identified, particularly if they hide under civilian appearance as pirates and terrorist do ?

Antoine said:
I was watching several recent news and shows about pirates and NAVY and was wondering: what are the rules of engagement in those situations, I am sure they are not simple as us civilian think.

No offence intended but what do you mean by you don't know what would you do if they started to shot at you? Do you mean that the rules of engagements are unclear when the enemy is not clearly identified, particularly if they hide under civilian appearance as pirates and terrorist do ?

All Rules of Engagement are classified, so they can't be explained in detail beyond the fact that there are ROEs. 

FDO said:
Have you actually been part of a NBP or are you going on what you've been told?
And if thats directed at me yes I have several times on several ships including several operational theatres. Have you ever been a member of the teams?

Antoine said:

I knew exactly what my ROE and how to employ them. But knowing ROE and how to survive a firefight are two very different things. I will stop right there because I am likely straying way over the OPSEC line.

Antoine said:

If you're placed in that situation you will be adequately briefed on your ROE for that situation and lets leave it at that.

Yes, that is exactly what I thought when I was watching those videos on boarding party as I found those small boarding boats an easy target specially if the enemy is well hidden in a higher boat carrying heavier weapon than guns, of course, if they (terrorists or pirates) know how to use their weapons.

Regards,

Sorry for my last post , I have sent it before I've seen the previous post.

As a MARS candidate, I'll hope to get in and be part of your team, I have a lot of admiration for you guys.

Regards,

A2 HMCS Montreal, Op Apollo, GTS Katie. As well as NLBP back in the good old days of SMGs and very little training. I didn't meani it to sound the way it came out. I get tired of peole knocking the work we do without actually knowing anything about the work we do.

FDO said:
A2 HMCS Montreal, Op Apollo, GTS Katie. As well as NLBP back in the good old days of SMGs and very little training. I didn't meani it to sound the way it came out. I get tired of peole knocking the work we do without actually knowing anything about the work we do.

Fair enough.

FDO said:

Trust me I've been there so I know what you mean all too well.

FDO said:
I get tired of peole knocking the work we do without actually knowing anything about the work we do.

I have great respect for the work you do. Having never served overseas, all I really know about Operations is what is reported the newspapers.

I know the C7 Is a variant of the M4 Carbine and yes I found a sheet from a post in which I study with a lot of interest. I study it day in and out but is it the current used rifle in BMQ? Also for navy training is there any weapons I will learn to use? And for boarding which is something I want to be on the team for what kind of gear weapons will be used?

In terms of preparation I want to study and know everything on hand. Yes its all theoretical practice but what I learn today helps me and my fellow would be recruits in BMQ. I have been doing a lot of homework.

Another side note, do I need to buy anything related to the aid in rifle cleaning or is everything supplied? *In short what can help make the process any more efficient and faster in the cleaning of the C7 if used for BMQ.*

For BMQ you will be trained on the C7 rifle.  As for cleaning materials my advice is don't buy anything, use what the school issues you.  i have seen students try all sorts of stuff to clean their rifles besides the issued CLP and they have occasionally done damage to the weapons.  I sure a weapons tech will expand on this.  Use what they give you and only strip the weapon as far as they teach you, don't get creative.  That is my advice.

All bases/trg areas have all of the required cleaning supplies/tools for the weapons used on courses or general range practice. No need to buy your own stuff.

You will likely get very savvy on the C7A1 or A2 (if the new one has been phased in for trg centres). Straying from my lanes as an army guy, from what I know the Navy Boarding Party carries MP5s and Sig Sauer 226s as standard issue (navy types can correct me here if things have changed or been upgraded). The C7 is also a navy staple for guard duty and general purpose use.

The .50 cal is also a standard close protection weapon that you should become familiar with if your role/trade calls for its use. From there come the bigger ship-based weapons system (Phalanx, SAM and anti-ship missiles).

Back onto my lane.

Thanks for the advice, it is greatly appreciated :)

Yeah that was my guess. Never under any means use things that do not belong. Simply said.

Properly speaking, the C7 / C7A1 are variants of the M16.  The C8 was the Canadian equivalent of the M4.  However, given the adaptations made in going from the C7A1 to the C7A2 there is a greater similarity to the M4.

But the C7's genealogy traces back to the M16, not the M4.  See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colt_Canada_C7_rifle

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M16_rifle

S1T2 is correct. The NBP uses the Sig Sauer as it's sidearm. We also use the MP5. However some members of the team also use the Remington 870 Riot Shotgun. On board ship Bos'ns are also trained in the use of the C8 and C9 as well as the .50 Cal HMG QCB. You'll learn all this once your in.

My advice is, it's good that your very keen to learn as much as you can about our weapons but bare in mind that you will be taught everything in BMQ and NBP training. Sometimes you read something that is either an old SOP or someone puts somrthing out on the web that we have never done but another country does regularly. When that happens it's hard to get it out of your mind and it could be inconvienent. When you get BMQ you will be treated as if you have never even heard of a C7 and taught all about it and fire off enough rounds to become comfortable with it. As for cleaning kits. Go with what's issued. It makes it easier if you are using what you've been taught to use and less for you to have to carry around.

Well I just want to be informed on what I can have a glimpse of expectations for. I know BMQ training is all about the unexpected, pushing one to their limits and then striving to succeed. It is all about training a solider. I just wish to do as much Intel as I can so I will be not just a good asset but someone who does more then just clean sheets :p.

On a side note is BMQ different then it use to be? As I am noticing its more proactive on positive reinforcement then the old yelling and swearing of how useless a recruit is? I know movies and what ya hear are different then whats been done in person. I just want to know what to be prepared for.

And yes shutting up is a practice I know all too well. Besides my Wife and mother-in help me grow selective listening and when not to speak lol.

Actually we use the P225 not the P226 as a sidearm as has already been pointed out we use the MP5 and also the Remington 870 for boarding ops.

Back