• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ship's Boarding Party [Merged]

Snakedoc said:
I'm curious to know if anybody knows what is required to be a NBP instructor?  Is there an instructors course available? Or just having taken the course is considered enough?

Here out east, the Bosuns have several qualified instructors that run several courses a year.

On both the west and east coasts, the only NBP instructors are Bosn's. The cell in the west coast has a PO1 as the IC with PO2 and ideally two MS as instructors. Currently they will get specific courses to allow them to instruct but that leads to a problem of having to send guys off on courses when they should be in the classroom teaching. There is a plan to have certain aspects of NBP instructional techniques embedded into the Bosn QL course to enable a Bosn to step right into the instructor position without having to go away on specialized instructor training. When I left CFFSE last summer, we were still fleshing out how this was to be achieved.

If you want to know more go to the CFFSE website;

http://esquimalt.mil.ca/cffs/SeaDiv/NBP%20Aid%20Memior%201.htm
or to the Sea Training Pacific website:
http://esquimalt.mil.ca/stp/Departments_Web_Pages/Deck.htm#boarding_links

One other thing both coasts are in constant contact with each other to ensure that the training delivered is uniform for both MARPAC and MARLANT.

I remember some of the instructors were suppose to be sent on the USCG VBSS Course, do you know if they went through with this plan FSTO?

They use to send them there, but that was discontinued years ago. There is a Canadian Coast Guard Rummage course which teaches Cargo Ships search techniques but that is about it. When I left Sea Div we were concentrating on force on force training use SimFX and building the simship trainer at Work Point. We were hoping to get the first serial started by this spring. I don't know what the status is right now though.

I'm wondering if this kind of training will be more frequent at HMCS discovery in view of the 2010
winter Olympic games? The news and the unit web site were talking about it recently. More job opportunities for reservists next winter?

Antoine said:
I'm wondering if this kind of training will be more frequent at HMCS discovery in view of the 2010
winter Olympic games? The news and the unit web site were talking about it recently. More job opportunities for reservists next winter?

They started training for the olympics last fall. The reservists will be doing most of the jobs related to port security.

Though I don't believe any reservists are specifically training in the NBP role in relation to port security...at least from what I know at the NRD level.  Not sure what is happening on the MCDVs at the moment in prep for port security...anybody know?

Snakedoc said:
Though I don't believe any reservists are specifically training in the NBP role in relation to port security...at least from what I know at the NRD level.  Not sure what is happening on the MCDVs at the moment in prep for port security...anybody know?

Its been talked about in the Maple Leaf and the Trident

Here is a video of weapons training for the boarding party. I didn't realize they also use C8s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANu6yq1O07Q

Video of a boarding party in action!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9hYlTOEKkU

I'm assuming that in the last couple years, with the growing pirate problem world wide that our navy might be changing its operational direction a bit in order to combat that problem, so correct me if I'm wrong but aren't NBP training being pushed to a higher priority?

They are running the same number of course they did this year as they did in the previous years. Some of these courses get zero loaded because the ships are unable to provide the numbers needed to run a course. So its about the status quo as far as priority goes.

Last time I was in he Gulf the NBP used the 9mm Sig Sauer for a side arm and either MP5 or Remington 870 police riot shotgun. No one carried a C8 or C7. Even the shorter C8 was longer than an MP5 or shotgun with but fully stowed.

FDO said:
Last time I was in he Gulf the NBP used the 9mm Sig Sauer for a side arm and either MP5 or Remington 870 police riot shotgun. No one carried a C8 or C7. Even the shorter C8 was longer than an MP5 or shotgun with but fully stowed.

Some teams use it for upper deck work.

True, we use the C7 or C8 for sentry duty in port or tansiting through high risk areas. However when we go "away" we use the others.

FDO said:

I have been told we are looking at a new family of small arms but I have not seen anything to back up that claim.

Ex-Dragoon said:
I have been told we are looking at a new family of small arms but I have not seen anything to back up that claim.

When I was at fleet school we initiated the idea of moving to the C8 for a couple of reasons; more hitting power, accuracy, commonality of weapons. The main reason though is that the Navy got a one time buy of HK MP5 and the darn things are pretty much wore out. But like everything else the OS and NCdts will be Chiefs and Capt(N) before we get them.

(Yes I am very cynical)

Have you actually been part of a NBP or are you going on what you've been told?

FDO said:
Have you actually been part of a NBP or are you going on what you've been told?
If you are talking to me then yes I was the boarding officer on HMCS ALGONQUIN during OP APOLLO. After that I was in charge of the NBP section (and other duties) at CFFSE Sea Div. Suffice to say that during our time in the Gulf we may have carried MP5, Sigs and 870 Shot Guns but we knew jack about the proper employment of these weapons. My biggest fear during any boarding was what we would do if somebody started shooting at us. I think I have gone through this in previous threads but when I got to Fleet School I made it my mission to get our people the proper training from the people with experience so that future boarding officers would not have those doubts. I was able to get the ball rolling but I fear that we still have a ways to go before our boarding officers will be anymore confident than what I was.

Back