• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ROTP at Civilian University 2004 - 2018 [Merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
yoman said:
Your "required" to be in uniform during the weekend?

During 90% of first year, cadets have to be in uniform ANYTIME they leave the campus. I said "required" because many times they get caught in town not in uniform, which means there are even more times that they don't get caught in town not in uniform.

bms, lucky for you i am doing my first 1.5 years at grenfell in CB.

let me know if you want to hook up and i'll let you know everything from my own experience.

Well, I am heading down that way on Friday @ 1000, expecting to arrive at the CFRC @1200. I will weigh out the pros and cons for my choice by Friday.

I am interested in your experience, though due to the distance issues(Corner Brook is 2 hours away) and my tight schedule(I have to skip school on Friday to hand in my paperwork and get the relevant documents photocopied), I doubt I can fit in a meet.

However, I was wondering one thing about Civi U: You apply to the university of your choice(MUN), and you apply for ROTP. Which acceptance do you get first? And how does paying your tuition, room, and fees work?

Lumber said:
During 90% of first year, cadets have to be in uniform ANYTIME they leave the campus. I said "required" because many times they get caught in town not in uniform, which means there are even more times that they don't get caught in town not in uniform.

I'll consider myself lucky then. First years in St-Jean are not required to be in uniform on Friday's and Saturday's while in town.

bms said:
Well, I am heading down that way on Friday @ 1000, expecting to arrive at the CFRC @1200. I will weigh out the pros and cons for my choice by Friday.

I am interested in your experience, though due to the distance issues(Corner Brook is 2 hours away) and my tight schedule(I have to skip school on Friday to hand in my paperwork and get the relevant documents photocopied), I doubt I can fit in a meet.

However, I was wondering one thing about Civi U: You apply to the university of your choice(MUN), and you apply for ROTP. Which acceptance do you get first? And how does paying your tuition, room, and fees work?

Why would you even bother wasting a day and money to hand in your application in person? That will not do anything for you. The people you hand in your application to will not be at the selection board and they will not be passing on any personal opinions of you or anything like that.

Mail your application, along with the necessary copies of the documents (birth certificate, SIN, drivers license... seriously just photocopy every document u have even if it doesn't ask for it, they will eventually). Then they will do your criminal record check, they will bring you in for your processing (aptitude test and "interview" [i use quotations because all its not actually an interview, just a bunch of questions of yes or no questions that you need to answer "yes" to in order to get your application accepted]. They will pay for you to come out for your processing, and when they do, you bring the originals of all those cards and documents out, and they will put a signature on the copies saying that they've seen the real ones.

You aren't going to win ANY brownie points for handing in your application in person. PERIOD. In fact, if you tell them you drove 2 hrs just to do it in person, I wouldn't be surprised if they told you what a stupid idea that was. (well that's a lie, the people at CFRC CB are cheerful happy people, but that's what I'd do). They're just going to say "thanks for the application, good luck."

But to answer those questions on which time you will get each letter, I can only speculate. I was out of high school and applied for the Winter 2008 term, so I applied and was accepted in October. Then I was notified of that I was selected for ROTP in like... March or April. But seriously, you don't need an acceptance letter from MUN to know if you are accepted. If you've got all your chromozones, maybe an extra one or two, you'll get accepted to MUN, and especially Grenfell.

As for paying tuition and fees, you will pay it and they will reimburse you. However, the ULO at St. John's seems to be making up for other not-so-great things that were happening before, so you might even get an AMEX card to pay all that stuff with anyway. I know she's sending me one that I can use from now on.

They will reimburse you for tuition, books, calculator, lab equipment, dictionary, and $150 per year of stationary. If you go to civie U, they won't pay for your accomodations, but no worries, you'll get a PLD of 380 bucks a month in St. John's plus your salary.

Well, it really isn't just a CFRC trip... It's a day in CB with my friends. So, I figured I'd give the application in person and ask the questions I need answering in person(doesn't really work over the phone, the place is "closed" when I get home each day, and I'm not home when they call back).

Plus I wasn't looking for any benefit from bringing the application in personally. The main thing it does is assures me that what I need to have is there and allows me to ask any questions I might have. Plus I was going to go to CB on Friday anyways, so it just makes sense to drop it off that day, rather than send it in the mail.

Thanks for the advice though.

In my opinion I think it is worth the effort of submitting your application in person. Especially if it is a small CFRC that you are dealing with; as there is a good chance that the officer you submit your application may be the one who conducts your interview and reccommends your file. Even if you just give it to the clerks, at least they can put a face to your file.

SMP said:
In my opinion I think it is worth the effort of submitting your application in person. Especially if it is a small CFRC that you are dealing with; as there is a good chance that the officer you submit your application may be the one who conducts your interview and reccommends your file. Even if you just give it to the clerks, at least they can put a face to your file.

In all honesty, I never saw the recruiter who I handed in my application to after that one brief time.

Handing in your application in person is the best thing you can do, because you can ask the most important question right then and there "Am I missing anything in my application package?" The recruiter can then look through it, make sure everything is filled out properly, and let you know if it isn't so you can fix it while you are still there. That can save you many trips.

You can also ask them questions while you are there, and as much as they aren't on the selection board, they still observe you because they are the ones who determine if you meet the requirements to even have your file sent to the selection board. So, go in, ask questions, be polite, and all is good.

Well, I went into CFRC/D Corner Brook today. I brought everything with me. Here's how it went down:

I went to the CIBC building. I took the elevator to the second floor and turned right to go down the hallway. I walked in and headed to the main desk. A PO1 came out of one of the back offices and initiated some small talk. I continued a brief conversation. After which, I said "I came by to hand in my application.". He took my legal-sized envelope which contained my References, Employment Application, ROTP Questionnaire, Security Clearance form, and transcripts. He looked through and made sure everything was properly filled out(which it was). He then asked me for my birth certificate and SIN, which he photocopied and included with my other forms and placed them in my envelope(which had a label with my name on it). He then told me that I should expect a call within a week or so with more information and that I could come by or call with any questions that I have about anything. I left, and continued on with my day.

All in all, it took about 10 minutes, but I think it was worth it, just because, as Intelligent Design said, he made sure that I had everything I needed.

Glad it went well for you! Now you just get to wait for the coveted phone call to get the rest of the process rolling. They are usually pretty quick to call you back and let you know when you can come in for your exams.

SMP said:
as there is a good chance that the officer you submit your application may be the one who conducts your interview and reccommends your file.

The way ROTP is set up now, there is nothing you can do to "stand out" to the board except have a good resume/application. You don't even really have an interview until after the first year.

The "interview" for the application is just a "do you have any problems workign with people of other ethnicity/religion/race/culture" smish-shmortion yes-or-no style questions that you either answer correctly (between yes/no) or they don't pass on your file to the board since you aren't suitable for the CF ("would you have a problem killing somebody" is one of the questions, of course worded in a fancier way... you can bet if you say "yes" they are goign to toss out your file).

So again, I stand by what I said, there is no point in handing it in in person. No brownie points. None. The board will access the candidate based on his credentials and not by how brown his nose is. There will be plenty of time to get your nose brown once you are selected.

I still disagree with you. The benefits of handing in your application in person are far greater than those of mailing it in. Let us weigh the pros and cons of handing it in personally shall we?

Pros:
-You know your application has arrived at the CFRC/D, and is in the hands of the staff there.
-The staff will go over it to make sure you are not missing anything important right then and there.
-You have an opportunity to ask any questions you might have about the application process, or your file.
-Anyone want to add more?

Cons:
-You have to get to the CFRC/D

There are more pros than cons to this option. Mailing in your file means it could get lost, or delayed. You get no confirmation that they have received it, and if you are missing things, that's either more postage, or a trip down anyways. Even though you don't earn any points for showing up yourself as far as your official application goes, let me tell you as a person who has worked in customer service before, that the staff at the CFRC/D staff will like to see you if you arrive with a smile and good attitude.

Dress, deportment, and a good rapport with the staff are never bad things to establish.

Add one to the cons:

You have to drive 2-x amount of hours to get there, at your own expense, your own time, etc.

Subtract from the pros:
"If you are missing things, that's either more postage, or a trip down anyways."

If you are missing things, they will still arrange for your processing, and tell you to bring down "x" and "y" documents with you. This trip, will be on their dollars.

I don't disagree with you in a sense that it has its benefits. If you live within an hour of a CFRC, then it is worth it. Some of us, like bms who said he's 2 hrs away, and myself who was 500km away, 245 km of it on the most treacherous highway in Canada (highway 63), ddin't have that luxery. If you live 2 or more hours away, there's no way these little "perks" in case of any if's ands buts or ors, will make up for the trouble. It definately was not reasonable for me to drive 1000km in a day on my own time and money just so the recruiter could see my face, who ended up transferring my file to another CFRC anyway.

But whatever, our stance is pretty clear now, neither of us is budging, let's get back to the topic at hand.

Hehe. Well, 2 hours from my house. I left from school, so 1 hour and 40 mins to the Corner Brook and 2 back. But, as I said, I was going to go to Corner Brook anyways.

The next step in my process is to have all of my cadet course reports faxed to the CRFC. I need my course and staff ones, for whatever the reason. Confirmation of cadet service I would guess.

Ah well, I'm one step closer ;).

That is interesting, they never asked me for any of my cadet records when I applied...

Also, I cede to the point that if you live that far away it isn't worth it on your own dime. I guess each of us was thinking a bit too much about our own experience and not stepping a few steps back to see the other point of view. I am only about an hour away from my CFRC so you can see why I'd say what I did. What would be more appropriate to say would be "If practical, it is a good idea to go in person."

I'm going to Civi U this year and start BMOQ next spring. I go to school in North Bay and am excited to go next year. I hope to see some of you in St Jean!

i just sent my email to them with my application. Now they want my Birth Cert and the P.S Form and References. They also want the App. signed when im up there. Its a 2 hour drive from my place, but im geussing there is no way around this and ill need to make the drive up. Correct?

Also, is there any benefit of getting the forms done early? (Oct area) or does it matter to them if they get it in november (or even early december). Im hoping to get up there next week if possible, but a trip is a trip... and $$. Thanks for the help.

I think everything has to be done(CFAT, Medical, Interview, etc...) for the selection board in mid-January. So, IMHO, the earlier the better.

Yeah, they called me today and said i can send it all in by mail np. For your guy's references, did you give them resumes for them to use when they are called? Is it needed or just recommended, or is it even that useful to do? Also, when do references get called? Is it after January? Or before?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back