• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

General CFRC Questions – Regular Forces

I'm not sure what benefit a testamentary trust has in this situation. By definition, it is a trust which is created within your will at the time of your death so that the asset is not passed to the beneficiary completely, but under a manged structure.

As far as renting your farm out, most farmers that I have dealt with in the past, rent their farmland out under a crop share basis which leaves the tenant responsible for all the management of the land paying a percentage of the crops value to you each year. See a lawyer to ensure whatever agreement you make has all the terms that you want (including term of lease, structure and/or yardage included, equipment included, renewal options, condition the tenant has to leave the land in at end of lease etc.)

If the farm also has a residential structure that you wish to rent out ensure that you comply with any residential tenancy laws/regulations that apply in your province. Again, discuss it with your lawyer.

The advice that other posters have given you about what service is like is good. Take my word for it that regardless of whatever trade you are going into you will not have the time that you need to do anything other than check up on the farm occasionally. I had a battery commander who had a farm nearby once and while he rented it out he treated parts of it as a hobby farm on weekends - it was good for neither the battery nor the farm.

:cheers:

Q.Lamb said:
Alright everyone,

First off I want to thank you all for your replies. I read over them all several times.

I think that @BeyondTheNow hit the nail on the head. I am comfortable where I am, for now. Which is why I am going to stick it out with the military. Sure I'm comfortable now but likely won't be in 3 years, and 5 years from now when I finish my VIE I will be well ahead of where I would be otherwise. That is to say of I don't extend it.

Again, thank you to everyone who has commented, it really helped me to think clearly and to make what I believe is to be the correct decision.

You've already made your decision but I'll add my 2 cents for what it's worth. I've made my best friendships in the CF. I was the best man to my best friend at his wedding (who I met on my BMQ) and I've been through things with these friends that noone else except other military members could even grasp. You will forge relationships like this in your career and some of the best times of your life will be in the CF.

Your initial thoughts about worrying and cold feet are natural..I'll always remember on the bus ride from the airport to the Mega, a lot of guys were all talk..saying that they were going to pass BMQ no problem..no worries at all. They were gone by week 2. Go into it with an open mind and understand that for the most part, it's just a game at BMQ. Listen to your instructors, study when told to study, and help others in your platoon. Show up to your timings together and things will fall into place.

The system works, just have faith in it...it's forged some pretty mighty people before you.

Wow I never thought I'd find a thread like this . I am in the exact same position as op is(or was) and have been battleing an inner war of my heart telling me to go and fear of uncertainty pushing me back. This has helped so much.  Thank you

Welcome to the sites, and congratulations on your next steps in through the application process.

I would just like to say thank you as well for your opinions and personal stories. I myself have been going back and forth as the military has always been a dream of mine but the away from family and posted far away is what has me hesitant. I am single but very family oriented and with a 2 year old nephew and new niece I don't want to miss out on them growing up, I'm the fun aunt ;) (and only lol)
It sounds like others have not found this to be too hard of an issue (aside from training which I am prepared to be away).
Day to day, when settle down on your career most of you find it balanced like a civilian job? I wonder to how often you have to be reposted?
Thanks so much for all your help!

Jelly_Bean said:
Day to day, when settle down on your career most of you find it balanced like a civilian job? I wonder to how often you have to be reposted?

Jelly_Bean said:
I am applying as DEO into the Regular Force (Army) and top choices are Intelligence Officer and Training Development Officer.

You may find these discussion helpful,

"I want to be Int" Mega-thread 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/12858.200
16 pages.

Training Development Officer?
https://army.ca/forums/threads/110216.0
5 pages.

Jelly_Bean said:
I would just like to say thank you as well for your opinions and personal stories. I myself have been going back and forth as the military has always been a dream of mine but the away from family and posted far away is what has me hesitant. I am single but very family oriented and with a 2 year old nephew and new niece I don't want to miss out on them growing up, I'm the fun aunt ;) (and only lol)
It sounds like others have not found this to be too hard of an issue (aside from training which I am prepared to be away).
Thanks so much for all your help!

It can be like a civie job.  And in some ways it is worse/harder, and others it is better/easier.  Example, I managed to get the entire Christmas leave period this year; that translates to 23 days off in a row.  Other times, I've cancelled leave at the last minute when something came up and a crew had to go somewhere. 

Being posted...there are a lot of variables.  What trade, rank and qualifications you have;  if there is a need, you could be posted after 2 years in a location.  Conversely, I know people who have been posted to a location as a Cpl and have remained in that geographic location, and only posted 'locally' to different units on that Wing.  That was over 10 years now and he has been promoted to MWO recently.  On average, I'd go with something like 4-5 years between postings but as mentioned...depends on a lot of things that can't be forecast now or sometimes even a few months ahead of posting season.

Hope that helps some. 

Thank you Mariomike, I wish that TDO forum was on topic lol  :facepalm:

And thank you very much Eye In The Sky! Do you find that they try to keep you close to family when reposting or give you some options? I want so badly to make a career of the regular force it's just that part that has me hung up. I know I won't be in my home town but the hope is to be Borden or Kingston, manageable (4 hours from family)

Basically, we get to let our Career Manager know what our 3 posting preferences are, and we can indicate why we prefer this locations.  Based on the needs of the service and desires of the member (needs of the service trump pretty much everything when push comes to shove...), the Career Manager will do what they can to strike the balance.

TDO is a decent trade for getting a posting to Borden or Kingston I'd think though (I have a friend who is a new TDO and was posted to Ktown);  the more Training Establishments and environments there are on a Base/Wing, the more TDO positions there are.  CDA is located partially at least, in Kingston and there are TDO positions there, although I am not sure how many.  Borden is a big training base as well, so there should be numerous TDOs there.  Comparatively speaking, the Wing I am posted to has 1 dedicated training establishment on it and there is 1 TDO on the entire Wing.

Sometime people get the posting they want, when they want it for the length of time they want it...others don't.  Lots of variables, but efforts are made to keep folks happy if at all possible. 

Jelly_Bean said:
Thank you Mariomike, I wish that TDO forum was on topic lol  :facepalm:

You are welcome. Good luck.  :)

Hello everyone,

Thank you to all of our brave veterans and those who are still serving.  I am a 25 year old woman and I picked infantry as my trade.  The trade has appealed to me since I was 17 and I am very grateful to be able to serve.  I just got the call last week and start Basic Training in a month.  I have always wanted to serve our country and I am quite excited.  However, my husband, who is currently serving as well, is concerned about my trade choice and I am worried that it will interfere with our marriage.  He is supportive but has been bringing up a lot of concerns this week.  I would love to hear some input or advice on this from anyone.  Thank you.

-Ki

Ki92 said:
However, my husband, who is currently serving as well, is concerned about my trade choice and I am worried that it will interfere with our marriage.  He is supportive but has been bringing up a lot of concerns this week.  I would love to hear some input or advice on this from anyone.

How to get family on board 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/13678.0
20 pages.

Ki92 said:
However, my husband, who is currently serving as well, is concerned about my trade choice and I am worried that it will interfere with our marriage.  He is supportive but has been bringing up a lot of concerns this week.  I would love to hear some input or advice on this from anyone.  Thank you.

-Ki

What's he concerned about? Your safety or the fact that you're entering a mainly male dominated trade? If he's the jealous type it will certainly eat him up, but there are men in every job, not just the CF. If he's insecure I can see that being an issue, that's something that he'd have to get comfortable with.

Purely anecdotal but after listening to a lot of op honour stories, examples and conversations  I'd honestly  say that I think women in the infantry seem to be treated better by their peers. More so than a lot of other trades. The two junior ncos I know are awesome, kick ass and don't take any shit and they're very respected. 

There is a closer commeradry in the combat arms and especially in the infantry but that doesn't translate into an increased risk (infidelity harassment or assault). Quite the opposite I think.

Corner your husband, tell him to stop beating around the bush (infantry joke eh?) and lay out exactly what his concerns are about you going infantry and discuss it. Whatever you do don't leave for training with unsettled business or bad communication hanging over you head. We need more infantry soldiers who really want to do the job and that sounds like you.

Jarnhamar said:
Corner your husband, tell him to stop beating around the bush (infantry joke eh?) and lay out exactly what his concerns are about you going infantry and discuss it. Whatever you do don't leave for training with unsettled business or bad communication hanging over you head.

I think this is some great advice and something that will serve you in your career. Adult conversations lead to adult answers and tend to ensure there's no underlying regret. I've always found its best to discuss career opportunities with my wife and hear her side before making a decision together.

Thanks for all the advice so far.  It is all good advice.  He seems to be most worried about my personality changing.  It’s really bothering him and it makes me feel like I’m putting my career ahead of my marriage.  Do you think I am? 

Ki92 said:
Thanks for all the advice so far.  It is all good advice.  He seems to be most worried about my personality changing.  It’s really bothering him and it makes me feel like I’m putting my career ahead of my marriage.  Do you think I am?

Lots of advice for Service Couples
https://www.google.ca/search?rls=com.microsoft%3Aen-CA%3AIE-Address&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&dcr=0&biw=1280&bih=603&ei=mAyBWqOtCIaItQW_yrjQCQ&q=site%3Aarmy.ca+%22service+couples%22&oq=site%3Aarmy.ca+%22service+couples%22&gs_l=psy-ab.12...2935.7457.0.9582.2.2.0.0.0.0.65.130.2.2.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.0.0....0.T_N27Ik0g1I

Ki92 said:
As long as you can avoid the temptation of chew, you'll be ok.

You're the only one who knows if you are putting your career ahead of your marriage, the same could be said if you don't go.  Are you putting your marriage ahead of your career?  There has to be a balance at some point and that is one of the biggest sticking points today.  People trying to balance it all (their career, spouse's career, marriage, kids, aging/sick parents, dogs, cats...)

Ki92 said:

Female here. Bottom line is your dreams/aspirations/goals are every bit as important as his. While stable home life is important, there are those (men and women) who want more out of life than being stuck at home and/or going to work every day in a job that does nothing else except pay the bills.

If you feel passionate about this career path and want to give it a try, then I think it’s fair of your SO to support your endeavours. Will it involve change and adapting on both of your parts? Absolutely. But if he can’t offer support and encouragement, just as I’m assuming you’ve offered him, then that’s an issue.

Ki92 said:

It sounds like you're being true to yourself and to something you have wanted and worked for for a long time. This isn't some sudden whim. A marriage needs to be a partnership of equals to truly succeed and flourish, and that means room for both people to move forward in life. I have no idea what you do right now, but I gather that it's not what ou want and that trying this option is.

'Personality' just isn't that malleable, and quite frankly that sounds like an unlikely thing for a guy to be primarily concerned about. It sounds like that was the palatable/acceptable answer to 'what are you worried about?' I could be completely wrong of course. I can easily imagine most guys not wanting their wife working in an infantry battalion due to various fears or insecurities, grounded or not.

It's OK to look after your own interests and to fight for what matters to you.

Back